Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record number of CAO applications / likely effect on points

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

briankirby wrote: »
    I think fees will have to be introduced if we are to get the country out of this mess.However,i fell that courses in which graduates have a good career outlook should be charged more

You think having no fees is the reason why this country is a mess?
    You think that having fees would save us?
    Already, the National Treasury Management Agency, which manages the national debt, says we will need to borrow €23 billion this year, of which €6 billion has so far been raised.

I think you'll find that paying fees are the least of this Government's worries, and a worthwhile investment if anything. This rhetoric that fees are crippling us is bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I think fees will have to be introduced if we are to get the country out of this mess.However,i fell that courses in which graduates have a good career outlook should be charged more
    That is an idiotic idea, that would completely ruin the system. The idea of education is to encourage people to go into jobs that are required in the country ( ie. good employment prospects ) higher course fees on jobs that the government wants people qualified would mean people would be less likely to do the courses that the government wants them in.

TLDR: O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

i have read now that only 50000out of 71000 leaving cert students will get places in college,as this is the number of third level college places and they will for example except the one they think would be good for the job & also they one get better points for example student A gets 400 points and student B gets 500 they will except student B

this is very worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That's the most hilariously ridiculous thing I've seen all day. I was expecting you to say "charged less". If courses with good career outlooks were more expensive than courses with poor career outlooks, then people who wouldn't be able to afford them have 2 options: 1. Draw the dole for a long, long time and deepen the public expenses crisis. 2. Do a course with poor career outlooks, have a hard time finding a fulfilling career, or any career at all, and draw the dole and deepen the expenses crisis.

That idea is economically and socially idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Teutorix wrote: »
    That is an idiotic idea, that would completely ruin the system. The idea of education is to encourage people to go into jobs that are required in the country ( ie. good employment prospects ) higher course fees on jobs that the government wants people qualified would mean people would be less likely to do the courses that the government wants them in.

TLDR: O_o

People would still go into the course anyway because they would be better able to pay back the money in a few years than say,someone who did vet nursing but had to pay the same fee.
    And if a certain course is someones dream,they will go for it.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    That's the most hilariously ridiculous thing I've seen all day. I was expecting you to say "charged less". If courses with good career outlooks were more expensive than courses with poor career outlooks, then people who wouldn't be able to afford them have 2 options: 1. Draw the dole for a long, long time and deepen the public expenses crisis. 2. Do a course with poor career outlooks, have a hard time finding a fulfilling career, or any career at all, and draw the dole and deepen the expenses crisis.

That idea is economically and socially idiotic.

They would be compensated by a grant scheme and loans i guess.Sorry for not clearing that up
    You think having no fees is the reason why this country is a mess?
    You think that having fees would save us?

I think you'll find that paying fees are the least of this Government's worries, and a worthwhile investment if anything. This rhetoric that fees are crippling us is bull****.

Fees would definitely help and will be brought in no matter what anyone say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

They would be compensated by a grant scheme and loans i guess.Sorry for not clearing that up
    I'd say you're doing alot of guessing alright. Here's an idea for you, what about courses with good career outlooks being subsidised, and courses with poor career outlooks to have no subsidies? Wouldn't this motivate people to do a course with a good career outlook, do that course, get a good job and be a long-time contributor to the exchequer through PAYE contributions?

As opposed to people doing a course with poor career outlooks, who graduates and doesn't get a job for many years, and draws the dole.

What you're proposing is people who do good courses have the most difficult financial time, and the laze-ers who do crap courses get their fees subsidised by the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Assuming fee's are introduced.
    If i go and finish my arts course, then after that I do another course. Would I be charged fees for that?

I know that if someone drops out then if they return there'll be fees, and I was just wondering if you would be charged using the above example?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Assuming fee's are introduced.
    If i go and finish my arts course, then after that I do another course. Would I be charged fees for that?
    If you mean another undergraduate degree, yes, as far as I remember.

On the "Fees back in 2012" thing, I don't see this happening myself. If FG/Labour end up in power, can you see them bringing fees back after they introduced "free" third level in the first place? Not going to happen in a Labour government full stop.
    FF I'm sure would bring them back if they could, but I can't foresee any party which could conceivably enter government with them agreeing to this. Perhaps a FF/SF coalition? (I actually feel sick at the thought...)

Lots of misinformed people in this thread. I remember being a bit of a knob when I was 18, but my god...

i dun tink dat d old ppl shud get bak 2 colage we ned d playses

Seems to be the order of the day. How some of you will even pass the leaving cert is beyond me, let alone getting the required 400 points or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'd say you're doing alot of guessing alright. Here's an idea for you, what about courses with good career outlooks being subsidised, and courses with poor career outlooks to have no subsidies? Wouldn't this motivate people to do a course with a good career outlook, do that course, get a good job and be a long-time contributor to the exchequer through PAYE contributions?

As opposed to people doing a course with poor career outlooks, who graduates and doesn't get a job for many years, and draws the dole.

What you're proposing is people who do good courses have the most difficult financial time, and the laze-ers who do crap courses get their fees subsidised by the taxpayer.

But if people who do courses with poor career outlooks dont get subsidised,then how would they ever be able to pay back the fees?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

I think what the guy saying that some students should be charged more meant the group of applicants this year who have already done a degree and have decided to return to education to become skilled in another area, or enhance their current qualifications.

The idea anyone should be charged more than anyone else is ludicrous! And that just wont happen.

No one wants to see the fees coming back because for anyone, regardless of how much their parents have in the bank, will suffer as a consequence.
    I think what they were saying in the paper was that they will bring fees back, but will also provide a loan scheme to students who will have to repay that loan once they start working. This is the system they have in the US and the money students have to pay there runs into excess of 20K a year, more than that for many of the colleges. Its just the way it is!

Free fees was great while it lasted... but we're not riding on the back of the Celtic Tiger anymore. Anyone thinking that this is the least of the governments concerns is very misinformed. The cost of 'free education' is ultimately paid by the tax payer. Its NOT FREE! So the government isnt paying for it in the first place. With tax being increased to cover the many many sectors of our current economic crisis, with more and more people signing on the dole, the government will see where they can rechannel the funding and theres just no way around this.

And the idea of universities accepting someone with 500 over 400 points? That is another ludicrous assumption here! The points have nothing to do with the admissions folk. The points are a reflection on student demands for places.

felic wrote: »
    No one wants to see the fees coming back because for anyone, regardless of how much their parents have in the bank, will suffer as a consequence.
    I think what they were saying in the paper was that they will bring fees back, but will also provide a loan scheme to students who will have to repay that loan once they start working. This is the system they have in the US and the money students have to pay there runs into excess of 20K a year, more than that for many of the colleges. Its just the way it is!

Free fees was great while it lasted... but we're not riding on the back of the Celtic Tiger anymore. Anyone thinking that this is the least of the governments concerns is very misinformed. The cost of 'free education' is ultimately paid by the tax payer. Its NOT FREE! So the government isnt paying for it in the first place. With tax being increased to cover the many many sectors of our current economic crisis, with more and more people signing on the dole, the government will see where they can rechannel the funding and theres just no way around this.

You're so misinformed it's not even funny.

Now stop being off-topic. We've covered the fees thing to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

How exactly am I misinformed? The donkey in the field can see what will happen. As for back on topic... this is the core subject of the entire thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

felic wrote: »
    How exactly am I misinformed? The donkey in the field can see what will happen. As for back on topic... this is the core subject of the entire thread.
    *reads title aloud*

Record number of CAO applications / likely effect on points

Nope I don't see the word fees there at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

just to add to the whole college fees debate: it should be means tested. like michael o leary or brian cowins kids shouldnt get the same kind of money or fees paid as the working classpeople of this country!

Ive an uncle who i was at the races with recently and he spent/wasted 8k at one race meeting! thats about a years work for my mother!!

and whatevr the gov says about not being able to means test it is rubbish!! isnt it the same gov that said they couldnt bring in vouched expenses!!??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dodd2550

Does anyone have information on the general Enginnering course in DIT? Course code is DT025 and its currently at 310 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

whats the deal with arts???????:S
    really want to get in but i got fierce competition!!!!!!!!!!!
    anybody able to give an estimate for trinity and maynooth????????:D
    Much appreciated!!!!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

No one will be able to tell the point until the actual offers come out next August. Anything before that is just a guess.
    Don't worry about the points. It's a waste of time. Just focus on getting the best result that you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

Lawliet wrote: »
    No one will be able to tell the point until the actual offers come out next August. Anything before that is just a guess.
    Don't worry about the points. It's a waste of time. Just focus on getting the best result that you can.
    everybody has been saying that but it comes down to this>>>>>>
    you dont get points you dont get in!!!!but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

everybody has been saying that but it comes down to this>>>>>>
    you dont get points you dont get in!!!!but thanks anyway
    True ... but getting the best results you can get >>>> getting the best points you can get >>>> having the best chance of getting the course you want. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

anyone have any information on enginneering courses in ucd(up/down)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

domrush wrote: »
    anyone have any information on enginneering courses in ucd(up/down)?

Could go either way, there's gonna be more places due to a changed entry system, but the points could still go up.

I'd say it'll stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Im just gonna aim for 600 and see what happens!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

stainluss wrote: »
    Im just gonna aim for 600 and see what happens!;)

Aim for 700 just to be on the safe side!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Focus on the studies and worry about the points later. As others have said people who say the points will go up are guessing.......

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

pathway33 wrote: »
    arts ....sorry orts in ucd has over 1,200 places i think and rarely moves due to the number of places. Even with the increase in demand I'd say 380 tops.

It's the courses with 15 or 20 places that can fluctuate wildly

Very true!.. Thanks :) Its my no.1 -Fingers Crossed and gets off site to learn even more about volcanoes.. lol-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gingerbread

does anyone know if law in public & social policy in NUIG be affected much? :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement