Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discolouration of Capco Slates

• 02-02-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if anyone here has Capco Eurocem Slates?? I bought some years ago with 10 year guarantee. However, the slates are now badly discoloured. The company have offered to repaint the slates but i'm sure the guarantee included replacement. Can't lay my hands on it just now (hoping to find it when i eventually go through the mountain of receipts boxed up in attic from self build!). In the meantime, has anyone any experience with this? Have you had to claim on the guarantee and what was the outcome? If you have used these slates and have not had to claim (yet!), it may be worth your while to double check your guarantee. If you do, let me know what exactly is covered (just in case I can't lay my hands on my own copy ;) ).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭fg10291

Put any complaint you have in writing and keep copies. I worked in this area ( not for Capco ) for 10 years. Guarantees on slates are a little bit vague. The first approach usually taken by these companies is ignore you, then if you keep pushing they may come out to inspect your roof and check on the workmanship of the roofer. They may bring a company friendly roofing contractor with them who may be critical of some of the workmanship and they may try and use this as a get out of jail card.. The guarantee probably states that ' the slates will be deemed to be discoloured when viewed from a reasonable distance'. Whats a reasonable distance? Thats open to debate. I am aware of some people who have ultimately taken various slate companies to court with mixed results.

Bottom line, all fibre cement slates will fade regardless of guarantees or brand name.

Advertisement