Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Charles Cavalier Spaniel

Options
  • 02-02-2010 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

My boyfriend and I are soon to move to a bigger place and are looking to get a Cavalier. We are well aware of the health risks these dogs come with (mitral valve disease,syringomyelia etc.) but would like to get one anyway because of their lovely temparment.

I've been reading up alot on them lately and there seems to be pages upon pages of information on bad breeders and how to spot them but no recommendation on any reputable breeder. Having a well bred Cavalier can reduce the risk of the dog having some of these conditions so that would be my only option.

Has anyone had any past experience with this and could recommend a reputable breeder who gives their puppies health checks?

Thanks in advance,
    Ais :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

my neighbour cav had 7 beautiful pups xmas day, these i can vouch for are not puppy farmers, they treat there dogs like part of family, and pups are been brought up in kitchen, there is 3 booked one 2 me they will b ready to go in 2 and half weeks. there is 1 ruby and 3 blen left. Mammy is 4 and touch wood her heart is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

my neighbour cav had 7 beautiful pups xmas day, these i can vouch for are not puppy farmers, they treat there dogs like part of family, and pups are been brought up in kitchen, there is 3 booked one 2 me they will b ready to go in 2 and half weeks. there is 1 ruby and 3 blen left. Mammy is 4 and touch wood her heart is perfect.

Have they been health tested though? If a dog has never been health tested and screened for these diseases then there is no way of telling if these dogs are healthy or not.
    I would be careful buying pups if the parents havent been tested. You say touch wood her heart is fine, but if she wasnt screened before breeding then how do they know if she hasnt passed something on to the pups?

Its vital that the parents, esp Cav's, are health tested before breeding, whether they seem healthy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Cavaliers can test clear for their hearts only to develop heart trouble at the age of seven i would only buy a pup if both parents are health tested .By the way im originally Morganna but cant log on so changed name slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If you're looking for a good breeder here's some points to consider

- It should be no problem to see the mother dog with the litter, and see where they are being housed. Their housing should be clean and comfortable. Run a mile from anyone who insists on bringing a pup out to you but won't let you see the entire litter.

- The mother dog should be friendly and shouldn't have any problem you handling the pups or petting her.

- The pups should be happy to approach you and shouldn't run away if you try to handle them

- The pups should have been wormed every 2 weeks from birth, the mother the same

- The pups should have started their vaccinations at 7 weeks and the breeder should have vaccination cards for each pup.

- The breeder should be very interested in you and your family, they should want to make sure that their pup will be going to a caring family and will be well looked after.

- The breeder should be willing to take the dog back, or at least help you re-home the dog should it not work out or your circumstances change

- The breeder should have proof of any relevant health checks for that breed for both mother and father and shouldnt have a problem giving you copies.

They're just some general points for sussing out a decent breeder, good luck with your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

where are you based...

our max passed away new years eve. 13 years he was part of our family.

I would love a black on tan or a ruby... pm me?

and I am amazed if the breeeders have not done health checks on the parents, heart disease can be detected at any age, its normal especially for king charlies to detect for murmurs at an early age.

our dog was a king, (pardon the pun), he had that awful coughing sound, when it was his heart giving in , seeing him lying on the floor that time was the saddest i have felt for a long long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hey,

I got my cav from these guys www.cute-pups.com. They were excellent and very profrssional. The place was spotless and my dog has been in excellent health. Could not recommend them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you go to www.cavaliertalk.com and pm "Karlin" or "Margret C", they will give you a list of breeders that are decent and care abou the breed (not to mention, health check!). Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

hi i got my girl from a breeder in enniscorty in wexford her name is vivenne jean i think my dog is a good cavie for her breed regaurding health problems shes snooring on the couch love her

Advertisement