Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skull Photo in the Metro

• 02-02-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Did anyone see the photo of the forensic people holding the skull in the Dublin Mountains today? Thought it was a bit tasteless that it was publishded seeing as the families are all waiting to see if it is their relative...Strange too that they didnt have one of those white tents that they normally put up for that sort of thing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

No. Not tasteless.

(It can be seen online of you have not seen it yet.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What's tasteless is what goes on in the spot that was found at when the night falls :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

People need to know the realities of what goes on in the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did they need to see a skull in order to know that heavily decomposed remains were found? what extra knowledge about the realities of the world does that impart?

the identity of the body was not known at the time that picture was published, so it was a fairly low thing to do to the families of the potential victims who might have been looking for closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Link anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it appears you have to sign up to see content.

http://e-edition.metroireland.ie/2010/02/02/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

it appears you have to sign up to see content.

http://e-edition.metroireland.ie/2010/02/02/

No, you don't, just enter any aul mail address - a@b.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

did they need to see a skull in order to know that heavily decomposed remains were found? what extra knowledge about the realities of the world does that impart?

the identity of the body was not known at the time that picture was published, so it was a fairly low thing to do to the families of the potential victims who might have been looking for closure.

Yeah I think the photo was very insensitive and unnecessary...must be awful when the family find out it was their son etc to have that photo on record of the skull...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

They have the body identified now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I don't think it's particularly tasteless, it's not a great photograph and it's not really necessary to illustrate the story but it's nowhere near as tasteless as I've seen some photographers/journalists/newspapers behave, even with regard to traumatic death.

What I find most offensive it their retarded "e-edition" website. It's ironic that the Metro, which seems to cull most of its "news" from the internet, has such a pathetic excuse for a web site.

• Advertisement

if it hadn't been for the skull, they wouldn't have used the photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wasn't too keen on the use of the photo personally. As another poster said, the deceased wasn't identified at this stage, and the usual white tent (for privacy) wasn't in place. It felt a little uncomfortable for those reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I find the whole thing very distasteful, unnecessary and in really bad taste. I don't think any of those attributes should be repeated on this forum either, Barname :eek::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

On balance I'm minded to close this thread. It doesn't really belong in this board any more and it's possibly very close to the bone for some people. Ireland is a small place sometimes.

What I would be minded to do is open a thread later regarding the suitable use of press photographs - there's a wider debate to be had there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement