Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Yaris idling too high

• 02-02-2010 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭

My car is idling about 900 RPM too high and is drinking fuel as a result. I'm wondering whether I would need to go the main dealer route or not, as the car will most likely need to be plugged into a diagnostics machine.

Anyone know how expensive this is likely to be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

VolvoMan wrote: »
    My car is idling about 900 RPM too high and is drinking fuel as a result. I'm wondering whether I would need to go the main dealer route or not, as the car will most likely need to be plugged into a diagnostics machine.

Anyone know how expensive this is likely to be?

How old is it?
    If it's out of warranty, any indie mechanic worth their salt will have their own diagnostic kit and will be cheaper than the main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Heroditas wrote: »
    How old is it?
    If it's out of warranty, any indie mechanic worth their salt will have their own diagnostic kit and will be cheaper than the main dealer.

It's a '00 model.

Glad to hear that. I was hoping it wasn't a case of some special Toyota diagnostic tool having to be used.

While I'm at it, I have to have an engine light reset that's been on since the engine was changed. Might see if I can get both done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's a '00 model.

Glad to hear that. I was hoping it wasn't a case of some special Toyota diagnostic tool having to be used.

While I'm at it, I have to have an engine light reset that's been on since the engine was changed. Might see if I can get both done.

Yeah an indie with a diagnostic kit will have no issue doing that.
    My local guy has a "Brainbee" kit and he can run diagnostics on the vast majority of cars using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Hi,
    I have diagnostics computer that can plug into your yaris, whereabouts are you based? Might be able to travel to you as am mobile. PM me ur location. Offhand, the high idle doesnt sound too serious, so I shouldnt worry, could be something as simple as sticking throttle butterfly/air leak downstream of the throttle housing...this would account for the high fuel consumption also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 boohoohoo

i just posted elsewhere a few mins ago, but i got a 00 yaris that had the engine malfunction lamp on for ages (had two mechanics look at it did diagnostic test, one turned it off but it came back on within 24 hours). It was driving perfectly, but with an upcoming NCT a friend suggested disconnecting battery. Did so overnight, light is still off two weeks later and she passed nct! Worth a try and costs nothing!!!

As for revs a person at work had the same problem and found it difficult to diagnose...He since gone so not too sure the outcome! I thinks its common with the 2000 yaris!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

AzureAuto wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have diagnostics computer that can plug into your yaris, whereabouts are you based? Might be able to travel to you as am mobile. PM me ur location. Offhand, the high idle doesnt sound too serious, so I shouldnt worry, could be something as simple as sticking throttle butterfly/air leak downstream of the throttle housing...this would account for the high fuel consumption also.

PM isn't working unfortunately. I will get in touch with you in time though.

Advertisement