Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 draw Sunday 7th February from 11 a.m.

• 02-02-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭

Taught I get the ball rolling on this one as the draw is this Sunday 7th February

Seeding pots
    Pot 1: Spain (holders), Germany, Netherlands, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia
    Pot 2: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania
    Pot 3: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Pot 4: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus
    Pot 5: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein
    Pot 6: Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro2012/news/newsid=921965.html

Anyway what teams would you like to get or avoid? It will be tough campaign either way but hopefully we get a bit luck this time;).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Russia
    Switzerland
    Ireland
    Latvia
    Albania
    Faroe Islands.

Please.

Would mainly like to avoid Spain in Pot 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

FRANCE
    FRANCE
    FRANCE
    FRANCE
    FRANCE

PLEASE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

France just for the epic build up and inevitable message board meltdown.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Taught I get the ball rolling on this one as the draw is this Sunday 7th February

Seeding pots
    Pot 1: Spain (holders), Germany, Netherlands, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia
    Pot 2: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania
    Pot 3: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Pot 4: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus
    Pot 5: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein

Anyway what teams would you like to get or avoid? It will be tough campaign either way but hopefully we get a bit luck this time;).

Nightmare group:

Spain
    Serbia
    Ireland
    Slovenia
    Montenegro
    Luxembourg

Group I would like:

Croatia
    Switzerland/Greece
    Ireland
    Cyprus
    Liechtenstein
    San Marino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

France
    Greece
    Ireland
    Wales
    Armenia
    Andorra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Spain
    Denmark
    Belgium
    Montenegro

Would like to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Nightmare group:

Spain
    Serbia
    Ireland
    Slovenia
    Montenegro
    Luxembourg

Group I would like:

Croatia
    Switzerland/Greece
    Ireland
    Cyprus
    Liechtenstein
    San Marino

lol I was just going post same group for the teams I want to avoid.

For my group I like to get I go
    Netherlands
    Czech Republic
    Ireland
    Wales
    Liechenstein
    Andorra

not only would I fancy us to do well from this group but they be decent places to go too i.e Amsterdam, Prague and Cardiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tbh, I don't think it makes a massive difference who we get.

Slovenia and Montenegro are the lower seeds to avoid, but even then I think we've shown last time out we are more than capable of getting results off teams like them.

There is noone particularly strong in Pot 2 either at the moment, maybe Serbia, but I'd fancy us to match all of them if we can keep the momentum up.

The seedings work in our favour imo so I'd be pretty confident going into this draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Slight change from the World Cup qualifying, in that the highest ranked 2nd placed team, gets an automatic spot.

And the other 8 will be paired off in the play-offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Slight change from the World Cup qualifying, in that the highest ranked 2nd placed team, gets an automatic spot.

And the other 8 will be paired off in the play-offs.

Ha, no doubt that'll change if needs be.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Want us to avoid:

- Spain
    - Greece (tactically, we''d probably cancel each other out)
    - Hungary / Latvia (both teams seem to be on the up)
    - Monetenegro
    - Azerbaijan (long way for the team to travel)

I reckon we're well capable of competing with a lot of the teams in Pot 1. Pot 4 looks pretty competitive, so hopefully we'll have a kind draw from Pot 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Dont know why everyone is looking for Wales as they have some very good younger players like Ramsey coming though so cant see it being a walk in the park over there.

I would go for

France
    Greece
    Ireland
    Cyprus
    Iceland
    Faroe Islands

With Ireland scoring a late equalizer in the final group game in Paris via Gallas OG to win the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Seeding pots

Going to be very tough to qualify cause of our seeding. I hope we get England.

Lets hope McGeady and Keane form a lethal combo with Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This anti-France vibe that's still going on - is it anti-Henry or anti France; i.e. if Henry retires from international football at the end of of the World Cup, would you still have the same amount of vitriol towards them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yes, if that clown Domenech is in charge!

Yes, if that clown Domenech is in charge!

I think the whole of France feels the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Lovely - Hurling:

France
    Sweden
    REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
    Estonia
    Liechtenstein
    Andorra

Tough Cookie:

Spain
    Serbia
    REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
    Slovenia
    Montenegro
    Malta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I'm absolutely certain that France will be drawn in the same group as us. The chances of us qualifying are very slim so it doesnt really matter who else we draw but for what its worth I reckon it'll be

France
    Slovakia
    Macedonia
    Georgia
    Andorra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I wouldnt say theres a slim chance we will qualify. We showed in a tough group and play off that we can raise our standard. Though we still need the quality in our Squad to go one better. I dont care what team Traps picks as you cant do anything about it or his tactics but its a disgrace that players of the standard of Rory Delep, Andy Reid ,Lee Carsely and Stephen Reid arnt even on the bench.

I wouldnt want the Swedes as they will be still smarting from not qualifying for the World Cup pity we cant get Bulgaria again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think a good group would be:

Croatia
    Sweden
    Ireland
    Wales
    Liechtenstein
    San Marino

Nightmare group me thinks would be:

Spain
    Turkey
    Ireland
    Latvia
    Montenegro
    Faroe Islands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Please not the Faroes, I can see from a mile off we'll end up dropping points to them.

France or Croatia please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

greendom wrote: »
    This anti-France vibe that's still going on - is it anti-Henry or anti France; i.e. if Henry retires from international football at the end of of the World Cup, would you still have the same amount of vitriol towards them?
    Have Leeds fans forgiven Bayern Munich yet? ;)

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Have Leeds fans forgiven Bayern Munich yet? ;)

I've no idea, have they? What about the Parc de Princes, has it forgiven Leeds Utd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Doctor Zaius

My ideal group

Croatia - in decline and beatable
    Czech Rep - in decline and beatable
    Ireland
    Lithuania - could arrange back to back away games while in the Baltic's thus saving money ;)
    Estonia - see above
    Andorra - cos a trip to Barcelona is always nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Once we don't get Greece because Ireland v Greece will possibly go down as the most boring games in history...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd love us to get England - who wouldn't like to see the new stadium graced by the boys across the pond?

article-1086981-000663D100000258-396_468x370.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Croatia
    Slovakia
    Wales
    Armenia
    Faroe Islands (just for the Brian Kerr factor :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Some interesting possibilities in the draw. I wouldnt mind getting Italy or France again. Would like to avoid Spain and England though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Avoid Spain, Germany, Serbia and Slovenia and we will be grand and have a good shout at Qualifying automatically and will probably clinch a playoff spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I think we can beat anyone so I'll be hoping for some nice away trip destinations, lets see, I'd pick

Germany- just love their beer and pretzels
    Sweden- to look at the women
    Wales- nice and close
    Liechtenstein- could walk the whole country in a day
    Malta- might as well get some sun

CHD wrote: »
    Avoid Spain, Germany, Serbia and Slovenia and we will be grand and have a good shout at Qualifying automatically and will probably clinch a playoff spot.

ya I go along with that to extent.

only taking current form but if we get Spain we have very little chance of getting top spot.

hoping avoid the playoffs but will be massive ask me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

flahavaj wrote: »
    France just for the epic build up and inevitable message board meltdown.:pac:

But what of the massivly dissappointing anti-climatic let down?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

adamski8 wrote: »
    Sweden- to look at the women

Personally I'd rather do more than look, but each to their own.....

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

anyone but switzerland,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

CHD wrote: »

That's the Ireland formula alright. I believe the usual loss in the playoffs then completes it.

• Advertisement

You can gurantee that we get Cyprus... we seem to always get Cyprus. I think them, Sunworld & FIFA are in cahoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I think if we play the way we did against France in the second leg of the play off we can take anyone, even Spain and top of the group. Do you guys/gals think we are capable of that consistently though? Was it a once off? Perhaps just because it was a playoff the lads found it in themselves to step it up a gear?

Regards,

Kid.

I think if we play the way we did against France in the second leg of the play off we can take anyone, even Spain and top of the group. Do you guys/gals think we are capable of that consistently though? Was it a once off? Perhaps just because it was a playoff the lads found it in themselves to step it up a gear?

Regards,

Kid.

if we want to top a group I think you really need to beat a first or second seed away from home as well as getting say 13 from 15 points at home too.

we have had some decent results away some fine results but they all been draws. we need to sneak more wins. We need to be composed away from home and take more of chance.

if we want to top a group I think you really need to beat a first or second seed away from home as well as getting say 13 from 15 points at home too.

we have had some decent results away some fine results but they all been draws. we need to sneak more wins. We need to be composed away from home and take more of chance.

Very true - let's not forget that we didn't beat Italy & failed to get wins against Montenegro, or Bulgaria either home or away.

Had we won our home games against those 2 teams & taken one away win, we'd have been very close to topping the group, depending on goal difference. None of these results were asking too much.

A home win against Italy on top of those results would have sealed it. And we were just minutes from doing that.

The problem with Ireland, as Trap keeps pointing out, is that we don't have the "winning mentality".

The problem with Ireland, as Trap keeps pointing out, is that we don't have the "winning mentality".

That says it all there I think.

Down the years we have failed to kill of teams in decent situations to win games like Holland away in 2000 (even though we qualified we would topped group had we won that). Switzerland away in 2004, Israel in 2005. In this campaign Bulgaria and Montenegro (to be fair we were not sure what we were up against as they were new nation with some decent friendly results at time).

France win was first win away against team seeded higher then us in competitive game since 1987. Like I pointed out in last post we have got some very good results away from home but there all draws but we need to win an extra game on road.That extra two points can be difference between topping the group and going into playoffs yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Down the years we have failed to kill of teams in decent situations to win games like Holland away in 2000 (even though we qualified we would topped group had we won that). Switzerland away in 2004, Israel in 2005. In this campaign Bulgaria and Montenegro (to be fair we were not sure what we were up against as they were new nation with some decent friendly results at time).

France win was first win away against team seeded higher then us in competitive game since 1987. Like I pointed out in last post we have got some very good results away from home but there all draws but we need to win an extra game on road.That extra two points can be difference between topping the group and going into playoffs yet again.

you know your stuff!

I'm sick of seeing us p*ss away points against the likes of Cyprus, then only pull out the stops when our backs are up against the wall. It's simply not good enough.

When I saw us getting knocked out by France, I just thought, well lads, you were asking for it - no point in pulling your socks up when you're halfway down the tunnel.

And I don't get it - you don't have to be the best team to win International games - you just have to be determined.. and for whatever reason, be it lack of confidence, or as Trap says "the believe", we always fall flat. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Would love to draw Malta just to bring any traveling Irish to my local, and to be honest, not the best team.

France for the possible revenge which will never happen.

Though I think no matter what group, if we qualify that's enough to inspire some confidence in the team which could see us well if we reach the finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have a feeling we'll end up with Germany, which I'd hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

greendom wrote: »

Ah come the fcuk, let us do that much after what happened.

We have a chance of course.

Maybe Fifa will give us a nice group to make up for the debacle.

Looking forward to it. Such a shame we won't be SA - feel so bad for the players (yes still).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

how many teams qualify from each group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Is this on tv or online anywhere?

I hope we get England tbh.

Or France.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

16137_527064741244_37301125_31343612_5788500_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Is this on tv or online anywhere?

Its on Sky Sports news if you have it if you dont here is a stream for it http://www.justin.tv/vip__tv#r=09QQVJo

• Advertisement
Advertisement