Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 draw Sunday 7th February from 11 a.m.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Happy with that draw ,
    All are beatable , in fact I expect a very good return from our home game ,

Anyone know what Russia and Slovakia away record is like ?

And we are more than capable of getting results away to the big two of the group,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

None of the teams in our group are going the WC so there'll be no WC hangovers from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

slovakia are going to the world cup no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Headshot wrote: »
    Trap needs to get a few more players in now

Yeah Im looking forward to the transfer window. A sneaky bid for Arshavin might be worth a try.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Frisbee wrote: »
    They're better than Croatia anyway.
    It's the travel that is a pain, and if it comes down to them needing to beat us I'm sure it will be played in some backwater stadium as far east as they possibly can.

Also, Slovenia are fairly decent.

They'll surely make it tough ye. Hopefully it won't be in the middle of winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Mostly cold Eastern European trips there. :( Moscow is a beautiful city though. :)

slovakia are going to the world cup no?

Slovenia

Don't hate me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm happy with the draw. Russia proved in qualification that they were massively over-rated. Slovakia will be tricky though.

Mostly cold Eastern European trips there. :( Moscow is a beautiful city though. :)

But will we be going there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yeah Im looking forward to the transfer window. A sneaky bid for Arshavin might be worth a try.

:D

Arshavin i heard is off to England, we should go for Chamakh

na im talking about the Granny rule.

• Advertisement

Last ttme Irish fans when to Moscow they were slaughtered and we were hammered 4-2 if I remember correctly

Great to see John Hartson on SSN :)

That's made my day.

Yeah lost loads of weight did Big John, looks well but a horrible suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

A load of crappy 5pm kick offs to "look forward" to. That group has as much romance as a holocaust.

Ooh ... edgy ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

thee glitz wrote: »
    Slovenia

Don't hate me

Slovakia are aswell.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Last ttme Irish fans when to Moscow they were slaughtered and we were hammered 4-2 if I remember correctly

That was a bad day alright, we can do better this time.

Given, Finnan, Breen, Cunningham, Harte, McAteer (Doherty 65),
    Kinsella, Holland, Kilbane (Babb 85), Keane, Duff (Morrison 18).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

"Have Slovakia qualified for the World Cup, Peter?"

The Great John Giles obviously didn't do his homework! :D

Slovakia are aswell.

Oh ye, they won the group with the Czechs. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it's a fantastic draw for us. Definitely could have been far, far worse. If we perform the way we are capable of then I think we can win the group automatically but we'll have to sort out our form away from home and turn draws into wins.

Overall though I'm delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

great draw for us in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Absolutely no reason whatsoever why we can't have realistic expectations in topping that group.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Happy with Ireland's group. Russia and Slovakia will be tough games and much travelling will be done which isn't helpful. However we should go into the qualifiers looking to come out as winners as all are very beatable.

On a seperate note, good to see John Hartson looking well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy with group we really could done so much worse. There all tricky but I think we are more then capable of getting a win in Slovakia this time around. Russia will still be tough but I think there overrated as they seen in playoffs against Slovenia. Slovakia are maybe underrated but they topped a group imo that was weakest for the WC 2010.

Now in terms of travel there's nowhere I be too keen on. My mates went to Moscow for game in 2002 and said great city but there fans scared crap outta them.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Absolutely no reason whatsoever why we can't have realistic expectations in topping that group.

I concur. Fingers crossed Hiddink leaves mind. A lot of decent players with the likes of CSKA, Rubin and Lokomotiv though but they are nothing to be frightened of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I concur. Fingers crossed Hiddink leaves mind. A lot of decent players with the likes of CSKA, Rubin and Lokomotiv though but they are nothing to be frightened of.

I don't see a lot of team spirit or a good team mentality in the Russian team, the second I heard Arshavin saying he felt he didn't have to do any preparation for the play offs against Slovenia I knew that there was a team right there with the wrong attitude, and one that would inevitably end up with egg on their face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

thee glitz wrote: »
    Slovenia

Don't hate me

Slovakia won their group with Slovenia finishing 2nd, who qualified through the playoffs.

edit: just saw you corrected yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I think it's a fantastic draw for us. Definitely could have been far, far worse. If we perform the way we are capable of then I think we can win the group automatically but we'll have to sort out our form away from home and turn draws into wins.

Overall though I'm delighted.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...........

We won't perform to our potential and we won't win the group either- sorry to be pessimistic! :(

Another glorious play-off defeat for Ireland yet again! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Having drawn Armenia could be a big advantage considering our results against the bottom team will be wiped out when deciding the best runner up. We essentially have two bottom seeds in our group.

Armenia and Moldova are a long way behind Georgia/Iceland/Montenegro/Estonia/Albania. It's going to be far less of a possible banana-skin. It's a huge advantage over some of the other teams looking to finish 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Defensively Russia aren't all that if you get at them as seen for the WC Qualifiers and parts of EC 2008. Their goalkeeper, Akinfeev though is very good. Plus the likes of Dzagoev, Zhirkov(useless LB though), Arshavin, Pav, Pogrebnyak and Kerzhakov will be a right handful on their day..

Some great individuals but as a team, I don't believe all is right in their camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

People seem to be very optimistic about our group. I think it is winnable but Russia and Slovakia shouldnt be underestimated.

Yes Russia havent qualified but they had a terrible group, Germany just about beat them to first. They are probably the best team not to qualify for the world cup. There team is full of quality, last euros they were beaten in the final by a brilliant Spain. Saying all that though they arent a bad team to get as a first seed. I think a lot also depends on whether they decide to stick with Hiddink.

I dont think Slovakia was a good team to get at all. I seen them play against N.Ireland a few months ago and they were impressive. They are a young attacking team who like to use the wings. Weiss and Stock were the two wingers very skillfull and fast, not people I would like to see vs Kilbane or McShane. They beat N.Ireland 2-0 but could have been more. They do look a bit dodgy in defence.

I dont look forward to playing Macedonia after our last performance there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aslong as Trappatoni goes out to these Eastern European teams and plays football against them they'll win. It's when you start defending deep that the whole crowd seems ten times bigger and the task seems twice as hard. Ireland should be looking to win this group. They've got the most beatable Top Seeds in Russia, especially if Hiddink leaves, Slovakia will be tough though.

I think we'll do well but in order to top the group we desperately need to uncover: A new left back at bare minimum (I love Killa but he's finished at this level), a central midfielder who can put a foot on the ball and maybe a fast, nippy winger for counter attacks assuming Trap plays the usual system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I'm happy with this group certainly could have been a lot tougher on paper if we had drawn the likes of Germany/Spain/Holland etc. Russia are there for the taking. Here's to topping the group!

What's the deal with the likes of O'Hara, Anton Ferdinand, Noble etc. Have there been appraoches towards these players with a view towards asking them to join the set-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What's the deal with the likes of O'Hara, Anton Ferdinand, Noble etc. Have there been appraoches towards these players with a view towards asking them to join the set-up?

Mick Martin said on Today FM yesterday that the Irish setup were aware of O'Hara and his Irish links. I think he is a scout for Ireland. I wouldn't want Anton near the team! I think some of these players feel no connection to Ireland and if they turn down a request to play for Ireland it's understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I personally won't cry if Kilbane is at LB when the time comes.

It is over 6 months away alright.

If we could get Carr back (or even Finnan) then O'Shea could fill in at LB.

A upwardly mobile move for St.Ledger would have been nice.

Leon Best to get into the PL with Newcastle would be sweet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Decent enough draw lads. Fancy our chances after that. Let's hope there's a couple of decent youngesters on the way up to replace the old ones!

After what France did we deserve a draw like this!

Anton Ferdinand is a talented player, however he severely lacks concentration. He needs 100cc's of fish oil stat! ;) Roughly on par with Sledge at the moment IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Happy with that draw, could have been worse - it is winnable but we still need to be careful. Go out and get the job done, not settling for a 1-0, if we score in games we need to finish the job, get a bit clinical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

To be fair, from looking at some of the other groups, we've got to be very, very happy with that draw.

Russia will win the group but we have an excellent chance of finishing in the play-offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Anton Ferdinand is a talented player, however he severely lacks concentration. He needs 100cc's of fish oil stat! ;) Roughly on par with Sledge at the moment IMO.

It's absolutely cringeworthy to be even talking about having Anton Ferdinand playing for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yeah delighted with the draw. Every team we drew where one of the lowest seeds in they're respective pots so you can't really ask for more than that. Hopefully Trap gets his way in the fixture arangement meeting and we're not going to Russia or Slovakia in the depths of winter, although giving Russia play a summer league it could be an advantage as they might not be a optimal fitness.

I can see Switzerland top Englands group. They're always super consistant in qualifiers and always seem to make it through. Also Wales will arguably put up a better performance against England then they would against the Swiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy with that draw, could have been worse - it is winnable but we still need to be careful. Go out and get the job done, not settling for a 1-0, if we score in games we need to finish the job, get a bit clinical.

could not put it better myself

Trap's thoughts:
    Giovanni Trapattoni Insists That Ireland Must Maintain Momentum To Qualify For Euro 2012

Giovanni Trapattoni hopes that the Republic of Ireland can maintain the momentum from their unbeaten World Cup qualifying campaign to reach Euro 2012.

Ireland lost out to France in a controversial World Cup play-off, but Trapattoni's side held their own against Les Bleus, and the Italian has insisted that the same mindset and form is required to go one better in the European Championship qualifiers.

"It is important we start the game with the same mentality we left with against France, if we start with the same mentality we have the possibility to qualify," Trapattoni told Sky Sports News.

But to reach the tournament, Ireland will have to overcome World Cup qualifiers Slovakia, as well as FYR Macedonia, Armenia and Andorra in Group B.

"All groups, for me, are in balance," said Trapattoni.

"Russia and Slovakia [are] technical team. For me it is better to meet this country than Turkey for example or Greece, with a tough mentality."

The Italian also lent his support to captain Robbie Keane's decision to move to Celtic on a temporary basis to find first-team football, adding: "I know Robbie [Keane] should play. He's played a few games, psychologically for him it is a better change"

I'd agree that it's better for us to have avoided other stubborn sides who are set up to make life difficult. I would hope we show a bit more conviction in games as we did in Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

bah terrible draw, no where worth travelling, maybe andorra but that match won't (well shouldnt be anyway!!!) be at all exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,564 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

adamski8 wrote: »
    bah terrible draw, no where worth travelling, maybe andorra but that match won't (well shouldnt be anyway!!!) be at all exciting

This was a draw organised by UEFA, who are a Football organisation not a travel agent!

Think it's a great draw and we have a great chance of winning the group, just hope that Trap lets them play!

murpho999 wrote: »
    This was a draw organised by UEFA, who are a Football organisation not a travel agent!

Think it's a great draw and we have a great chance of winning the group, just hope that Trap lets them play!

If we get the likes of Jamie O'Hara and Mark Noble aboard I will feel very excited about our chances. We'd all prefer born and bred Irishmen but in the long run if we get to a major tournament hundreds of our own youngsters could be inspired to persue a dream in professional football, and one could be our next Giles, Brady or Keane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Giovanni Trapattoni hopes that the Republic of Ireland can maintain the momentum from their unbeaten World Cup qualifying campaign to reach Euro 2012.

Didn't you guys lose to France at home?

Anyway, I wouldn't be too happy with that draw. Mostly it will depend on when you play Russia... I don't think Moscow is a place where you can expect 3 points. Russia's team is still a strong one and in Arshavin they have a player who can make something out of nothing to win a game (ask Liverpool fans).

Slovakia shouldn't be underestimated, they came strongly through a competitive group with Czechs and Slovenia and they have some very good players right through the team, in particular Hamsik, Vittek ans Sestak, but with good young players coming through (Jendrisek, Pekarik).

The other teams should be beatable home and away.

Looking at the Irish team Doyle is maturing into a good striker, but the team is lacking in quality everywhere. Your best striker (Keane) has moved to a lesser league in search of first team football. Your best three midfielders are not featuring in the team through either injury (S. Reid) unavailability (S. Ireland) or exile (A. Reid). and you have very shallow cover in defense. On the plus side, Dunne and Given are fit for any team in the world and Duff seems to have found a new lease at Fulham.

You need fullbacks a central defender and central midfielders, desperately so, if you want to compete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

GuanYin wrote: »
    Didn't you guys lose to France at home?

Anyway, I wouldn't be too happy with that draw. Mostly it will depend on when you play Russia... I don't think Moscow is a place where you can expect 3 points. Russia's team is still a strong one and in Arshavin they have a player who can make something out of nothing to win a game (ask Liverpool fans).

Slovakia shouldn't be underestimated, they came strongly through a competitive group with Czechs and Slovenia and they have some very good players right through the team, in particular Hamsik, Vittek ans Sestak, but with good young players coming through (Jendrisek, Pekarik).

The other teams should be beatable home and away.

Looking at the Irish team Doyle is maturing into a good striker, but the team is lacking in quality everywhere. Your best striker (Keane) has moved to a lesser league in search of first team football. Your best three midfielders are not featuring in the team through either injury (S. Reid) unavailability (S. Ireland) or exile (A. Reid). and you have very shallow cover in defense. On the plus side, Dunne and Given are fit for any team in the world and Duff seems to have found a new lease at Fulham.

You need fullbacks a central defender and central midfielders, desperately so, if you want to compete.
    Same kind of thing was said around this time 2 years ago. How true it was.....

Oh, wait.

• Advertisement
Advertisement