Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI/ 2.0 TDI or Mondeo 2.0 TDCI

• 02-02-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering peoples opinions, looking at getting a car for commuting circa 240km / day,

Rather than looking at particular Makes/Models, i'm looking for:

Automatic
    Cruise Control
    Diesel
    Reliable
    Comfortable

So i'm looking at something like these :

Skoda 1.9 TDI Automatic

Skoda 2.0 TDI Automatic

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI

What would you go for ?

My main concerns would be around:
    Is the 2.0TDI Engine any less reliable than the 1.9TDI ?
    Is the 2.0 TDI Engine much better than the 1.9TDI ?
    Is the DSG Gearbox prone to failure and around what kind of mileage does it have issues at ?
    I've read the 2.0 Diesel on the Mondeo can have Injector problems, resulting in a big bill.
    Which would be the most reliable out of the three ?

Cheers for the input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Hi,

Just wondering peoples opinions, looking at getting a car for commuting circa 240km / day,

Rather than looking at particular Makes/Models, i'm looking for:

Automatic
    Cruise Control
    Diesel
    Reliable
    Comfortable

So i'm looking at something like these :

Skoda 1.9 TDI Automatic

Skoda 2.0 TDI Automatic

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI

What would you go for ?

My main concerns would be around:
    Is the 2.0TDI Engine any less reliable than the 1.9TDI ?
    Is the 2.0 TDI Engine much better than the 1.9TDI ?
    Is the DSG Gearbox prone to failure and around what kind of mileage does it have issues at ?
    I've read the 2.0 Diesel on the Mondeo can have Injector problems, resulting in a big bill.
    Which would be the most reliable out of the three ?

Cheers for the input.

Id go for the 2.0 TDI. The extra power would be nice in the automatic box. The 2.0 is meant to be good for the emmisions. A google of 1.9 tdi vs 2.0 should give you some good results.

I have heard a lot about Ford injector problems also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

bbk wrote: »
    Id go for the 2.0 TDI. The extra power would be nice in the automatic box. The 2.0 is meant to be good for the emmisions. A google of 1.9 tdi vs 2.0 should give you some good results.

I have heard a lot about Ford injector problems also.

You could always go for a high powered 1.9TDI . Depending on the year of reg i.e. pre 2008 , your road tax would be cheaper.

teednab-el wrote: »
    You could always go for a high powered 1.9TDI . Depending on the year of reg i.e. pre 2008 , your road tax would be cheaper.

Indeed he can, however I can only assume hes narrowed a list down to the three he linked to.

I think the 1.9 was a 105 hp and the 2.0 was a 140.

haha, I did the search I said you could do and this thread was in the first page or two of results :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Indeed he can, however I can only assume hes narrowed a list down to the three he linked to.

I think the 1.9 was a 105 hp and the 2.0 was a 140.

haha, I did the search I said you could do and this thread was in the first page or two of results :p

Well its narrowed down based on the best i could find for under 10k, i dont want to put big money in as i'll be putting quite a bit of mileage on it.

Tax on the 2.0 TDI and 2.0 TDCI is 1360 per year, the 1.9 is a little bit cheaper at 1150 per year.

Still wondering about the DSG box though, how long do they last for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Well its narrowed down based on the best i could find for under 10k, i dont want to put big money in as i'll be putting quite a bit of mileage on it.

Tax on the 2.0 TDI and 2.0 TDCI is 1360 per year, the 1.9 is a little bit cheaper at 1150 per year.

Those tax figures seem high,I thought 630 approx for 2 litre,check here
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/motortax_rates_2009_en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rustynutz wrote: »

Those tax figures seem high,I thought 630 approx for 2 litre,check here
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/motortax_rates_2009_en.pdf

I wish, I moved to Holland 2 years ago, cars are much more expensive here and road tax is a RIP.

my 1.9TDI was 526 a year when i was at home i think.

The tax on a 1.9 TDI should be 582 euro. In or around that.

I dont know much about the DSG Im afriad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

The tax on a 1.9 TDI should be 582 euro. In or around that.

I dont know much about the DSG Im afriad.

Skoda/VW 1.9 TDi said to be more reliable than the 2.0.

My 1.9TDi with DSG has 180,000 kms and still sweet.
    DSG box requires an oil and filter change every 60 thou km so budget €200-€240 for that.

Advertisement