Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know any good sources for my History project?

• 02-02-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

After a long while thinking about what I will do for my Leaving Cert History Project I have decided I will do "Anna Parnell and her role in the land war".

I am currently looking for sources I can use as part of the topic.

Not sure if anyone here is an expert on the subject but if you would know any good sources I might be able to look up it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Karaokeman:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Groves, Patricia (2009) Petticoat Rebellion - The Anna Parnell Story, Mercier Press link

Obviously very recent / up to date in terms of what has been written on Anna Parnell.

€15, so hardly going to break the bank.

Check bibliography for other suggestions on sources.

Also:

Cote, Jane (1991) Fanny and Anna Parnell : Ireland’s patriot sisters, Macmillan Press.

Probably available through local library.

There are countless studies of the land war, but each will probably only have a paragraph or two on AP / the Ladies Land League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 historylover

I think that unless you can find a good primary source stay well away from this topic. It is one thing to read about what other people say about her but its another thing to read about what she thought about the land war and her involvement in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭shano1888

I think for a LC special topic you would get away with not having a primary source as long as you did not have to rely too heavily on one secondary source. The main thing is that it is objective. You could give it a title such as 'representations of...' which would cover this as your thesis would be treating of interpretations the topic.

For some projects you can get away without having a primary source but a project on Anna Parnell is pointless without a primary source as her own view is the most important thing in this project because many sources on this topic contradict one another.

But your project could discuss say the divergence of opinion that Anna Parnell has caused amongst Irish historians. Without a doubt the project would be stronger with a primary source but I think that at LC level there is no reason that the OP could not exceed without one.

• Advertisement

As an examiner as I have to tell you that that is not what we're looking for and as there is limited information on Anna Parnell and the Ladies Land League you not be able to do to the above titled that you have suggested. When one is doing this topic they are expected to focus on the work on Anna Parnell not on other historians views because this is of historical significance and anyway I was only giving advice that I give to my students.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you checked if the National Archives have any relevant diaries/private letters/letters to the press etc.?

Primary sources FTW where History research is concerned.

Point taken historylover.

Advertisement