Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming on a provisional license-help!!

• 02-02-2010 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Does anyone know what would happen if you are on a provisional license, driving without a fully qualified driver and are involved in a car collision where the other person is at fault? Do you lose your rights to claim altogether? The other person is definitely at fault but are suggesting that if I make a claim there will be serious "legal implications" for me? I'd really appreciate any help or advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Be prepared for people on their hi horses.
    I know a few people who claimed over the years on a provisional and had no problem. Dont mind what the other person says, they obviously want to scare you out of claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm not on a high horse, but I can see some difficulty ahead. The 3rd party is already making noises as to how it might be serious for you, so it is possible that he will allege you were at fault. Both insurers will look at the facts as presented by their own client and make a decision as to where they stand on liability.
    On one side there is (presumably) a qualified driver saying one thing and on the other is an unqualified driver, in breach of his licencing conditions, on the other. Without independant witnesses it could get messy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 emilyeve

I don't see any way he can claim it was my fault,the back of my car was done in so thats proof enough. As far as i know the person that hits the back of your car is always at fault? Im more worried about the fact I didnt have a fully licensed driver and the implications of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

my friend had an accident yesterday and is in the same boat.The garda at the scene said my friend wasnt in the wrong but the other driving is threatening to "counter sue" would like to hear peoples opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The status of your license is a matter between you and the guardi , it's nothing to do with the other party and doesn't effect the fault of the accident at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As mentioned, these threads usually attract a lot of people out to make these things way worse than they are.

I've never heard of a situation where by a claim hasn't been paid out as a result of someone driving unaccompanied when they were not at fault. Leave it to the insurance companies to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its highly unlikely anything will happen to you - if the other driver is at fault, they're at fault whether you had a full or provisional licence. Its up to the Guards to catch and prosecute unaccompanied drivers, not those at fault in an accident.
    weeder wrote: »
    my friend had an accident yesterday and is in the same boat.The garda at the scene said my friend wasnt in the wrong but the other driving is threatening to "counter sue" would like to hear peoples opinions.

Friend should tell him to go try, will be fun to see him laughed out of court for a frivilous action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

You are still fully insured, might have a problem with the gaurds but you are still insured regardless. I have had dealt with a few claims like this and the company's have paid out in full.

Anyway, you should pursue the claim off the third parties insurance if they are at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

emilyeve wrote: »
    Does anyone know what would happen if you are on a provisional license, driving without a fully qualified driver and are involved in a car collision where the other person is at fault? Do you lose your rights to claim altogether? The other person is definitely at fault but are suggesting that if I make a claim there will be serious "legal implications" for me? I'd really appreciate any help or advice!

If the other person is threatening "serious legal implications" for you, then he is attempting extortion in the eyes of the law. This is illegal.

Make the claim against him or his insurance company. His insurance company is obliged to pay out.

The worst case for you is that you will be suject to penalties for driving without a fully licensed driver in the vehicle with you, but this is a matter for the Guards, not the other party or his insurance company.

You should have no more contact with the other party whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Pkiernan's post is all true ^

The Guards won't be interested really, not unless it was a very serious accident or there were allegations of dangerous driving.

Experience shows that the insurance companies will just deal with the case for you and not even mention the provisional bit. I'd ignore the extortion from the other party, they're just trying to bully you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭stainluss

The other person is definitely at fault but are suggesting that if I make a claim there will be serious "legal implications" for me? I'd really appreciate any help or advice!

Sure you'll have that.

I had a collision on a provisional unnaccompanied and the claim went ahead as normal.. nothing was mentioned about the driver thing.

And if the Gardaí hear about it chances are you won't get the fine.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP, did either your or the other driver call the Gardaí at the time of the accident?

no the guards werent called it was a minor enough accident, does that make a difference somehow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

If the guards were'nt called, how would the other driver know what sort of license you had? Did you volunteer that information to him? Any way, it sounds to me like he's trying to bully you out of claiming. Don't let it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

loobylou wrote: »
    If the guards were'nt called, how would the other driver know what sort of license you had? Did you volunteer that information to him? Any way, it sounds to me like he's trying to bully you out of claiming. Don't let it happen.

+1, it's nothing to do with him.

Well I had L plates on my car so it was pretty obvious. I made the claim anyway which wasn't problematic at all, but the guy is still trying to contact me so presumably he won't let it rest. Have to see what happens i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Well I had L plates on my car so it was pretty obvious. I made the claim anyway which wasn't problematic at all, but the guy is still trying to contact me so presumably he won't let it rest. Have to see what happens i suppose.

You should have nothing to worry about from an insurance perspective. By law an individual is entitled to be indemnified for personal injury and damage caused by the negligence of another party. If the other party struck your car from behind it is a cut and dry case as regards apportioning blame. You are perfectly entitled to make a claim to indemnify yourself against the other drivers insurance. Don't listen to anyone trying to put the frighteners on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

You are under no obligations to take his calls. Let your insurance company sort it out with his insurance company. If you need to actually do anything then your insurance company will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'm not on a high horse, but I can see some difficulty ahead. The 3rd party is already making noises as to how it might be serious for you, so it is possible that he will allege you were at fault. Both insurers will look at the facts as presented by their own client and make a decision as to where they stand on liability.
    On one side there is (presumably) a qualified driver saying one thing and on the other is an unqualified driver, in breach of his licencing conditions, on the other. Without independant witnesses it could get messy

This is patently untrue. "Licensing conditions" don't enter into the equation when making a claim on an insurance policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ADI34722

The only time i heard of this happening is when the Prov Licence holder is at fault. The injuired party is still covered but with regards to the damage to your own car it may be pointed out in your policy that you are required to have a full licence holder in the car with you at all times. However in this case you are not claiming from your own insurance company so it wont come into play.

You and your car will be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement