Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV: Warning

• 02-02-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

I am not having a good time dealing with UTV right now. On the 21st of Jan I signed up for their 8MB bundle deal because Vodafone was so bad. No progress had been made with the order. I changed my mind on the 28th Jan and emailed the sales woman that I was dealing with and called their customer care to cancel - I was told it could be too late to cancel...but they didnt know for sure. Was told I would get a call back if there was a problem.

Today I get a welcome email from UTV - they have gone ahead anyway with the order, and now they are trying to charge me 60e to cancel the broadband. The line change-over hasnt gone through luckily.

UTV are claiming there is no cooling off period with their service which is completely illegal - confirmed by Comreg. We get 10 days cooling off period due to the distance selling act.

Comreg are now working with UTV so I am hoping I wont get charged..

Just a warning to others...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are indeed incorrect to say there's no cooling off period if you signed up over phone, e-mail or internet.

Let us know the outcome of your complaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

My god UTV are bloody useless. Even though I cancelled their service 2 days after speaking to the sales woman on the phone - guess what, today my broadband was migrated across to UTV - except it didnt - not quite. Its not active on UTV and its been dropped at Vodafone.

I am now in complete broadband limbo, my line is still with Vodafone - but not broadband, and UTV are still trying to charge me cancellation fees - dream on you incompetant fools. Next step is an email to UTV's chief exec.

In a word, nightmare. I work from home so this is pretty bad.....Vodafone are doing their best to rectify this but I cant help but think this is all UTV's fault for progressing an order even though I asked them to cancel it.

Well, the UTV saga continues. Vodafone confirmed yesterday that UTV have progressed the order even further by transferring my line - this is despite 4 requests to cancel over the last 2 weeks - and being told "yes, thats cancelled" - I am now completely screwed, been without broadband for 4 days now. Going to have to get my UAC from UTV now which will prove interesting since there is no way I am paying the cancellation charges...

Its just fcking typical of these companies. Instead of actioning a simple request which would of taken 1 phone call or a few taps on the keyboard to cancel the migration and notify eircom they decide to just say "meh...computer says no...its too late" - and they know full well by doing this that a lot of people will be suckered into just staying with them because its too much hassle to switch back again.....well screw you UTV, even if it takes me 3 months without any service I am not being screwed into staying with your ****e 1MB service when I signed up for 8mb...oh yeah thats the other thing, signed up for 8mb, a few days later told I was only going to get 6mb so cancelled - so instead of cancelling they give me 1mb!!

Apologies for ranting on, but I feel better now :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

breathe deep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Why did you cancel the 8mb broadband you got with them in the first place

• Advertisement

Well I was originally with Vodafone, and was getting sick of the constant problems. So I signed up to UTV for the 8MB, but 2 days after the order was processed I was told they were only going to provide 6MB so I cancelled it...but they continued to take my line - so now I have nothing..

Seems have though you could have just asked them for a lower speed, and besides 6/8 is decent enough imo..

They are in the wrong by charging you a cancellation fee in the 10 days, but you could have avoided the whole situation by just asking for a lower speed, or being happy with 6mb (alot of people cant get that)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Gaw_ wrote: »
    Seems have though you could have just asked them for a lower speed, and besides 6/8 is decent enough imo..

They are in the wrong by charging you a cancellation fee in the 10 days, but you could have avoided the whole situation by just asking for a lower speed, or being happy with 6mb (alot of people cant get that)

The whims of the customer are irrelevant. If the customer cancelled in time then that's what counts.

So would you be happy if you were currently on an 8MB package with an ISP, then signed up to a new ISP on the basis they would also be providing you with 8MB - they then decide a few days later they will only provide 6MB - despite being told that you can currently get 8MB no problem?? Of course 6MB is a decent enough speed, but thats not what I signed up for.

But despite all of this, I cancelled the switch-over well within the cooling off period, and yet they continued on with the order regardless and now want to charge me for cancelling..

anyway...deep breaths :pac:

The purpose of my post was to just inform you all of UTV's tactics.....

Gaw_ wrote: »

You never mentioned you were on 8mb before, I assumed you were on a lower speed.

• Advertisement

well, just an update on this. Finally got confirmation today that UTV after reviewing the recorded calls, will not be charging a cancellation fee :)

Just a pity it took 3 weeks and Comreg before they would agree to not carry out an illegal process :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

anoble66 wrote: »
    well, just an update on this. Finally got confirmation today that UTV after reviewing the recorded calls, will not be charging a cancellation fee :)

Just a pity it took 3 weeks and Comreg before they would agree to not carry out an illegal process :rolleyes:

Annoying it took so much to get it resolved but good you finally got a nice outcome

Advertisement