Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Vet in Ireland who can deal with tumours

Options
  • 02-02-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Can anyone recommend me the top Vet in Ireland who candeal with tumours in dogs?

My 8 year old German Shepherd was diagnosed with a tumour at the weekend between his abdomen and intestine. My current vet is excellent but they dont want to operate due to the location of the tumour - in other words its inoperable. They wont even take a biopsy as tehy reckon he wouldnt survive it

However as you can appreciate I want a second opionion and will go to great lenghts to help my dog - can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The Vet College UCD is your best bet, Barbara Kirby is surgery professor there and is excellent.
    tel: 01 7166000/2

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 on the UCD Vet College. Your own vet can refer you to them to save time explaining everything all over again to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

A vote for the UCD vets from me too. If they can't do it I doubt anyone can/will. Best of luck dicey2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sasquashie

Yep, UCD vets all the way. Think you have your answer OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP id go back to your own vet.You will need a referral letter to send them to UCD anyway. Its a referral clinic and will only see patients if they havent seen another vet before or has been referred on. Thats how they work.

Ask your own vet to take a biopsy as itll take a few days to get the results of that back before you get an appt, so no point getting to UCD and them doing the same thing and wasting time.

Be prepared for a substantial bill also (this is why pet insurance is vital). Its basically like premium private human healthcare..except for pets.

Im a major +1 for the Vet College as they take on cases that most vets cant or wont solve. Its the last call after alot of owners have been to 1 or more vets before there.Make sure its the day clinic also. The DAEC (Dublin Animal Emergency Clinic) works out of hours and is whole different crowd that uses their facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 dicey2

thanks folks - will let you know how it pans out

Advertisement