Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those of you how have yet to come out with your Pokéaddiction

Options
  • 02-02-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

The latest issue of the Smog has the advice for you. Although it is just easier to come out, come on, it's not like you are telling people you have a third nipple or anything....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I am fully in control of my addicition and my friends and family know about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I am fully in control of my addicition and my friends and family know about it :D

You completely sure about that...? Does the ENTIRE Internet know, or just us Boardsies? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well I can hardly post it to every site now can I :P

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

I only got into Pokemon recently. I went to buy Pokemon Platinum to buy it. The shop where I got it was near my school and I picked it up to look at the box. Then some guy outta my school came into the shop so I quickly put it down and picked up some hardcore x-box game. I think it was Batman: Arkham Asylum. When he left I picked up PP and ran over to the counter. There's NO WAY I'd let anyone know I liked Pokemon. I wouldn't even tell them I go on forums D:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

I only got into Pokemon recently. I went to buy Pokemon Platinum to buy it. The shop where I got it was near my school and I picked it up to look at the box. Then some guy outta my school came into the shop so I quickly put it down and picked up some hardcore x-box game. I think it was Batman: Arkham Asylum. When he left I picked up PP and ran over to the counter. There's NO WAY I'd let anyone know I liked Pokemon. I wouldn't even tell them I go on forums D:
    A classic case of the PokéStigma. It's okay though, even though it doesn't look like it at first, Pokémon is a hardcore as it gets.

Yes, the story will keep you going for at least two weeks and you have the game "played", but scratch beneath the surface of the story, and there is a black hole of hardcoreness. There is a never ending popularity of battling, breeding, and trading that may drive some people mad. You'll playthrough Pokémon, but you'll never actually "finish" it. Unlike many of the games out there at the moment.

You want the ultimate killing team of 6 dudes that can take on the world? Delve into the inter mechanics, learn about Individual Values, Effort Values and the methods used to get creatures with the best of the best stats.

That's before you even consider the moves to have on your dudes (I try to avoid using the word Pokémon, it gets confusing as it is both singular and a plural word). Since each dude can only have 4 moves out of a minimum move pool of at least 50 moves each. There is at least 500 or so moves in the game, now that's a lot of choice. Moves can be offensive or defensive and knowing the best move to use in a battle can make or break a match.

Don't feel like battling? That's cool, you can work on filling your Pokédex. It's a record of the different dudes you have collected. Since Platnium, there is an Easter Egg where if you mange to get a Pokémon from Japanese, French, German, Italian or Spanish game you get the Pokédex information in that language added as an extra bonus. Hardly the best Easter Egg in the history or games, but a nice little touch anyway.

Speaking of Easter Eggs, you could be the lucky one to find the "Holy Grail" of a Pokémon collector. The elusive "shiny" Pokémon. These "shinys" are an alternate colouring of a Pokemon, and very very very very very very very rare to find and very very very very very very very coveted by collectors. Unfortunately shiny Pokemon don't shoot lazer beams from their eyes, but they are awesome to say "I found a shiny".

All of this is ahead of you, if you choose to stay on the path of Pokémon. Welcome to the game and I hope you enjoy it. Just don't be afraid to ask questions when you want to take the step out of noobness, even the most avid Poképlayer was a newbie once :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

tl;dr

Yea, really making it sound like a fun thing to get into... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Loads of my mates have given up their Xboxs and PS3s to and gotten lost in the DS playing Pokémon.

Pokémon is awesome, don't let anyone tell you other wise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Thanks Buzz. :) I know a good bit about it so far and I don't think I'll be giving it up so soon. I can't wait for HG/SS and and the 5th Gen! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Thanks Buzz. :) I know a good bit about it so far and I don't think I'll be giving it up so soon. I can't wait for HG/SS and and the 5th Gen! :)
    You may like to read this article then DS’s Successor Apparently Sent to the Pokemon Company :)

Advertisement