Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Intro to Web Design

Options
  • 02-02-2010 6:44pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, was hoping i might get some advice from you guys, i have a couple of websites setup using wordpress, i dont have much experience creating sites from scratch other than messing around myself with Dreamweaver and expression. I have edited a lot of stuff on the wordpress sites and learned a bit myself that way but im looking to do a course to improve etc.

Im lucky in that my job will pretty much send me on any courses i want, i was hoping to find out what you recomend i should do first, ive been asked if i want to do Java course but i was thinking maybe it would be better to try get something in PHP first though? Or is there something else i should start off with totally? I did a HTML course about 10 years back!

Im really interested in learning this but im unsure where i should start there is so much out there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well for the basics the best website around is www.w3schools.com
    Start looking at asp.net, php, css, ajax, javascript. These tools/languages are very big right now in web design. Download yourself a free server like this one:

http://www.chsoftware.net/en/useware/mowes/mowes.htm

and start playing around with it yourself and see what you can come up with. You will probably want to look up MySql too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you're going to do PHP the Zend certification seems to be well respected. I also believe that the iBAT (No that's not a thing for hitting Apple geeks with) in Swords have a good PHP course.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fergaloc

Your best shot to become good at web design is to get a good book

For PHP and MySQL - PHP and MySQL Web Development and Edition 2

For C++ - C++ How to Program

there are many other good books out there just have a little look

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

What has C++ got to do with web design?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fergaloc

ohh sorry i was thinking of programming languages , forgot that it was web design sorry bout that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Cheers guys, ill get the books and im pretty sure i have a php course lined up with work too.

Advertisement