Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

d90 for my 1st dslr??

• 02-02-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

going camera shopping soon for my 1st dslr, any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Look for the best price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

its a great camera

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭carplates

even for someone with little or no experence

Sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

carplates wrote: »

you wont kill it and it wont kill you

once you familiarise yourself with the buttons take a class, there are very good teachers about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The D90 is a class camera and will take some getting used to, especially if you have very little experience, but........enjoy the ride.
    Best advice is to read, read, read & then practice, practice, practice !! ;)
    Learn about lenses, aperture, DOF (dept of field), ISO, shutter speed, exposure, white balance, focus, ........I could go on & on & on :p

You ruined our single sentence answers. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I have one.

I Love it.

Go to a shop and get your hands on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Not sure if you'll get them new anymore but I'd suggest a D80 if you wanna save a few quid on the body. Only real difference I found was the lack of a video function which for me was no big deal. If you don't need video put the difference to getting better glass (I say glass because I'm not sure if it's Lens/Lenses/Lensi:D)

Just my 2c worth.

As a starter camera either is a great piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Not sure if you'll get them new anymore but I'd suggest a D80 if you wanna save a few quid on the body. Only real difference I found was the lack of a video function which for me was no big deal. If you don't need video put the difference to getting better glass (I say glass because I'm not sure if it's Lens/Lenses/Lensi:D)

Just my 2c worth.

As a starter camera either is a great piece of kit.

Yes, they're still available and should be for a while yet. They took a price drop recently so shop around and you'll get a deal. If buying in DUblin you'll get it now for less than a grand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

None of the DSLR's are poor cameras.

The camera is just a tool. Learn how to use it well & you will get good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 slidersedge23

going camera shopping soon for my 1st dslr, any advice?

To start of in DSLR, you should try like the Nikon D70 second hand you can pick one up for about 400 euro second hand, but before you choose you camera check out ken rockwells website, he will give you the best reviews about the d90 and d70 and all nikon and lens that go great with it, check it out.

stuart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

but before you choose you camera check out ken rockwells website,

I think Ken Rockwell is the Godwin of photography forums.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I think Ken Rockwell is the Godwin of photography forums.

/thread

Technically that would make Ken Rockwell the Hitler of photography forums?? :pac:

wait I just fell into the godwins law trap :( FAIL

Crispin wrote: »
    Technically that would make Ken Rockwell the Hitler of photography forums?? :pac:

I know I'm going to regret asking this as I'm sure you two are probably a double act laying a trap for a suitable idiot like me to ask but what's a 'Godwin law trap'. I know about the opinionated Ken Rockwell who's written word is accepted as Gospel by many quarters (but not all four) but this new reference has me puzzled. :confused:

EDIT: by the way, apologies Carplate for deviating off the thread but the curiosity was too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Crispin wrote: »

well technically yes I suppose you're right, it would take someone to establish a law pertaining to photographic forums which postulates that as any thread involving camera gear grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning Ken Rockwell approaches 1. Once this happens rational discussion has become impossible.

We can call it Crispins law if you want. :D

So with this in mind, to re-phrase, I think Crispin is the Godwin of photography forums.

everyone else: :confused::confused:

So you see :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

well technically yes I suppose you're right, it would take someone to establish a law pertaining to photographic forums which postulates that as any thread involving camera gear grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning Ken Rockwell approaches 1. Once this happens rational discussion has become impossible.

We can call it Crispins law if you want. :D

So with this in mind, to re-phrase, I think Crispin is the Godwin of photography forums.

everyone else: :confused::confused:

So you see :rolleyes:

Hahahaha, I think we have just coined something new there and confused a good proportion of people. Spread the Word! :pac:

I have a useful hash tag for such moments:

#OhChristItsKenRockwell

I knew I'd be sorry I asked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Godwins Law:
    As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

Referring to Rockwell as the 'Godwin' of photography forums means essentially that as a photography thread grows longer, the probability of a refrence to Ken Rockwell approaches 1.

The reason for the /thread, signifying the thread has finished is a reference to the corollary to the law that
    once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress.

Advertisement