Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Didn't pay speeding fine

• 02-02-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I got pulled over for speeding over a year ago, and got slapped with a fine and 2 penalty points. I got a confirmation letter through the post a few days later, but never payed the fine (no reasons, no excuses). I have since moved address, so any further notifications that they may have sent me I have not received.

Presumably at some point I am going to be invited to explain myself at the local courthouse. Anyone any advice on what I can/should do to try and rectify that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sasquashie

Chase it up now and take the hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd imagine it has gone to court in your absence already and that you were given four points and a fine. If that's the case then presumably you can just pay the fine and the matter will be closed. I don't know who you'd contact - maybe your local Garda station could help?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it has gone to court in your absence already and that you were given four points and a fine. If that's the case then presumably you can just pay the fine and the matter will be closed. I don't know who you'd contact - maybe your local Garda station could help?

If this went ahead in your absence you would have been given a fine and double the points, the fine would have been X amount with a set time limit to allow payment, if this payment was not made then you could have a penal warrent which means if your stopped by the Gardai they can either look for the money or else lodge you in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If this went ahead in your absebce you would have been given a fine and double the points, the fine would have been X amount with a set time limit to allow payment, if this payment was not made then you could have a penal warrent which means if your stopped by the Gardai they can either look for the money or else lodge you in prison.
    If that is the case then what would be the best way to sort it out?

Anan1 wrote: »
    If that is the case then what would be the best way to sort it out?

Go down to the station where he/she use to live, bring some i.d and explain that you think there may be a penal warrent for you relating to a speeding fine, if there is then organise to pay the penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I got pulled over for speeding over a year ago, and got slapped with a fine and 2 penalty points. I got a confirmation letter through the post a few days later, but never payed the fine (no reasons, no excuses). I have since moved address, so any further notifications that they may have sent me I have not received.

Presumably at some point I am going to be invited to explain myself at the local courthouse. Anyone any advice on what I can/should do to try and rectify that?

To be "invited" to explain yourself in court you have to be served with a summons. To be served with a summons it's either sent by registered post or served in person by a garda.

If you haven't received a summons then you've nothing to worry about, a court case cannot go ahead if you haven't been served with a summons.

People who are suggest that a warrant maybe outstanding are completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

The Dagda wrote: »
    To be "invited" to explain yourself in court you have to be served with a summons. To be served with a summons it's either sent by registered post or served in person by a garda.

If you haven't received a summons then you've nothing to worry about, a court case cannot go ahead if you haven't been served with a summons.

Yes, I wondered about that from the replies above - I was presuming that I would have been issued with a summons if there was to be a court case. I'm hoping that if I can track down the details and pay the fine now, that would be the end of that.

Yes, I wondered about that from the replies above - I was presuming that I would have been issued with a summons if there was to be a court case. I'm hoping that if I can track down the details and pay the fine now, that would be the end of that.

Do you want the points or something?

Don't do anything, if they want you bad enough they'll find you. There's no benefit to you in trying to "track down the detaills" if a summons has been issued, you'll still have to go to court. Let it run it's course.

There's a statute of limitations on these things too... ;)

Ah yes another expert who's never set foot inside a court room, a summons can be served on you by delivering the summons to your last know address or place of residence and many judges accept this method of service and often go ahead with cases if the accused fails to answer the summons.

Ah yes another expert who's never set foot inside a court room, a summons can be served on you by delivering the summons to your last know address or place of residence and many judges accept this method of service and often go ahead with cases if the accused fails to answer the summons.

I've been in plenty of courts thanks, an isolated judge may deem a summons served that way but any conviction on the back of it would be unsafe and open to appeal. Which any "normal" judge would see that the defendant's right to his "day in court" had been compromised by this method of serving.

There is a reason summons' are sent out by registered post... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've been in plenty of courts thanks, an isolated judge may deem a summons served that way but any conviction on the back of it would be unsafe and open to appeal. Which any "normal" judge would see that the defendant's right to his "day in court" had been compromised by this method of serving.

There is a reason summons' are sent out by registered post... :rolleyes:

So basically you admit that he could have been served with the summons in this way and that a judge could have proceeded in his absence and that I'm not completely wrong in suggesting the o/p may have a penal warrent.

Oh and there is more than two ways to serve a summons you might familiarise yourself with them before stating otherwise

Very few summons are delivered by registered post, most are personal service or else dropped in the door as outlined above

Could you be more specific than "very few"? The summons system is mostly automated nowadays with them being automatically being sent by registered post...

Could you be more specific than "very few"? The summons system is mostly automated nowadays with them being automatically being sent by registered post...

Yeah I can most are now not sent by reg post but are returned to Garda stations for service.

Advertisement