Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seen this load today & took a picture....

• 02-02-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I KNOW we've got a seen this car thread but I figure we could start a new one too, except with dodgy pictures instead....

Seen this today on the M4, he was doin a steady 70mph...

It's a Transporter van with a trailer full of barrels, the bit 'o rope holdin them down.

02022010288.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I wouldn't fancy driving behind that.... be a bit like Donkey Kong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

And those blue ones really look like they are filled with something nasty IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

And those blue ones really look like they are filled with something nasty IMO

amazing psychic abilities there mate, knowing what could be in some barrels based on nothing more than a blurry pic!

any chance of the winning numbers for this weeks euro millions? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i hope you reported this to the gardai as well.

Random wrote: »
    i hope you reported this to the gardai as well.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The Dagda wrote: »
    Why?
    if he reckons it's a dangerous load or whatever he should report it to the gardai if it might be a danger to others. just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

If those barrels are empty then that trailer probably doesn't have half of its possible load on-board. A Transporter van will carry 2 ton on a braked trailer. I'd say there's fu$k all wrong there.

Random wrote: »
    if he reckons it's a dangerous load or whatever he should report it to the gardai if it might be a danger to others. just my opinion.

to me the bigger issue would be holding his phone while driving. just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I'd say there's fu$k all wrong there.

You wouldn't be saying that after a hard braking maneuvre when there's (presumably) empty barrels bouncing all over a busy motorway ...even less if it's full ones.

peasant wrote: »
    You wouldn't be saying that after a hard braking maneuvre when there's (presumably) empty barrels bouncing all over a busy motorway ...even less if it's full ones.

yeah, and if my aunt had testicles she'd be my uncle... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

yeah, and if my aunt had testicles she'd be my uncle... :rolleyes:

Any more trolling/talking rubbish and you'll get banned.

Ah yeah but you could argue that with any load working loose. Empty barrels weigh nothing. Heavy barrels on the other hand would be lethal. :eek: Really though if they are empty then he'd be lucky to be pulling the trailer ( circa 750kg ) plus a quarter ton, thats nothing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ah yeah but you could argue that with any load working loose. Empty barrels weigh nothing. Heavy barrels on the other hand would be lethal. :eek: Really though if they are empty then he'd be lucky to be pulling the trailer ( circa 750kg ) plus a quarter ton, thats nothing really.
    I think the point isn't the weight of the load, rather its apparent instability.

Ah yeah but you could argue that with any load working loose.

Indeed you could ...that's why loads are supposed to be properly secured ...that one isn't

Indeed you could ...that's why loads are supposed to be properly secured ...that one isn't

True.

Any more trolling/talking rubbish and you'll get banned.

To be honest, I don't think speculating on what could happen is really adding to the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Some people always have to take things just a little too far don't they? Driver doesn't give a toss about anybody around him.
    I wouldn't have a problem with the driver if it wasn't for the blue barrels on top. They must be near 11/12 feet from the ground. Just takes a bit of a gust of wind & things would get very interesting.
    Guarantee he was stopped by the Gards at some point.

To be honest, I don't think speculating on what could happen is really adding to the debate.

Speculating on what could happen helps to avoid it though :D

How could any driver look at that photo and not speculate as to what could happen?

Anan1 wrote: »
    How could any driver look at that photo and not speculate as to what could happen?

I speculate that the guy in the hiace got to his destination safely, otherwise we'd have a far more interesting photo/post

• Advertisement

I speculate that the guy in the hiace got to his destination safely, otherwise we'd have a far more interesting photo/post
    Enough. I'm banning you for a day for trolling, come back tomorrow with the same attitude and it'll be a week off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

A very good family friend died because a load of concrete blocks came loose and he got one full on through the windscreen.
    Only since his inquest have they started putting cages around the blocks.
    @OP, you'd be better off ringing Gardai/Trafficwatch than posting pics on here.
    Even though the load looks as if the top barrels are empty.
    What's the point in posting the photos of a potentially fatal accident on here after the fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If in doubt call the Gardai.

Calling the Gardai is not a punishable offence whilst driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Still wouldnt fancy an empty barrel like that on my windscreen while doing 100 km/h.

inforfun wrote: »
    Still wouldnt fancy an empty barrel like that on my windscreen while doing 100 km/h.
    Even if the empty barrels were giant marshmallows they'd still cause a pile-up.

Don't mean to hog the thread but my Da once witnessed somebody getting decapitated by a bale of paper that came loose from a load.
    Would you take a picture of somebody carrying a gun down the street and then post it on here wondering did they shoot somebody?
    Not just @ OP but a lot of people post on here about near/potential TCs that they have done nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

kazul wrote: »
    Don't mean to hog the thread but my Da once witnessed somebody getting decapitated by a bale of paper that came loose from a load.
    Would you take a picture of somebody carrying a gun down the street and then post it on here wondering did they shoot somebody?
    Not just @ OP but a lot of people post on here about near/potential TCs that they have done nothing about.

To be fair if he hadn't taken the pic & just tried to describe what he'd seen most of us would think he was exaggerating.

"Today I saw a dangerously overloaded trailer with what seemed to be empty barrels stacked 3-4 high with only a rope to secure them. Vehicle and trailer seemed inadequate for such a load and the driver was doing a fair clip on the motorway".

Should I have;

a) Notified the relevant authorities?
    b) Done nothing?
    c) Taken a photo and posted it on the internet for discussion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

They must be pretty well secured because they fall off if you crossed 10mph. Anything like that would be a right pain on a trailer unless it was secured properly.

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    They must be pretty well secured because they fall off if you crossed 10mph. Anything like that would be a right pain on a trailer unless it was secured properly.

Speaking from experience?
    I'm sure the driver took aerodynamics, crosswinds, capacity of vehicle and trailer, strength of fastening system, safety of other road users and a lot of other factors into consideration before they set off.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

to me the bigger issue would be holding his phone while driving. just my opinion.

I was wondering how long that'd take!! If it helps I'd a bluetooth headset on while taking the picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

kazul wrote: »
    Speaking from experience?
    I'm sure the driver took aerodynamics, crosswinds, capacity of vehicle and trailer, strength of fastening system, safety of other road users and a lot of other factors into consideration before they set off.
    It doesn't take a genius to realise the round barrels are round and they'll roll all over the place unless they're tightly secured together. They must have been well secured. I'm not saying what he was doing was right as the load looks far too high but I doubt there was just one rope holding them on. You'd do well to secure any load like that with one rope.

cian1500ww wrote: »

I would have to agree with the above. I have moved a lot of loads of all sorts with tractors, vans etc and if them barrels were not well tied down there is no way that they would stay on top when driving at 70 mph or a lot less for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Right, a few people here saying I should have called the Guards rather than taking a picture..

Here's the deal, I only have the number for my local station, which is only a part time one & about 50 miles from where I was. I wasn't going to 11811 to get the number for Traffic Corps, if I did the whole process would take 5 minutes or so, and I'd have been 10 miles on another road (Pic was taken just before I exited motorway) Can you call 999 for this?? Because I wouldn't want to foot the bill for a persuit of the "Barrel Wonder"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I saw a small truck, a mitsubishi canter (i think) in Lucan today that had a load of 40KG bags of coal piled up on the bed, with no strapping or securing method used whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Seanieke wrote: »
    Can you call 999 for this?? Because I wouldn't want to foot the bill for a persuit of the "Barrel Wonder"

What bill? We already foot the bill, it's called PAYE, Road Tax, VAT, VRT etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What everybody seems to have missed in the OP is the "steady 70mph" part. Maximum legal towing speed in 80KMph so regardless of the load status he was way over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

Seanieke wrote: »
    Right, a few people here saying I should have called the Guards rather than taking a picture..

Here's the deal, I only have the number for my local station, which is only a part time one & about 50 miles from where I was. I wasn't going to 11811 to get the number for Traffic Corps, if I did the whole process would take 5 minutes or so, and I'd have been 10 miles on another road (Pic was taken just before I exited motorway) Can you call 999 for this?? Because I wouldn't want to foot the bill for a persuit of the "Barrel Wonder"

See what happens when you try to start a topic on here, it gets swallowed up by the "experts".

So is this a Seen this load today & took a picture.... thread or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Maruney wrote: »

So is this a Seen this load today & took a picture.... thread or not?

i was just laughing at this as well.....
    talk about thread going off track in spectacular way.....

Advertisement