Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

and again - problem with rangefinder

• 02-02-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Finally got around to scanning these. I'm hoping to god its another fcuk-up of mine and not the camera. I have three white lights on a lot of shots. Not all, but most. And varying in intensity. Like this:

C606BE3373D8472790EE6F4D5F2B37A0-800.jpg

Always in the same spot on frame, and with varying speeds and lighting conditions...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It'd really help if we had some other information... which camera, etc...

For example, if it had a fabric shutter, I'd say it was a few holes in it, if it was Copal, I'd have no idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was going to suggest that - opening the back and holding the camera between you and a light, to see if there's any leakage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Its the Fed 2 Al. Stuck another roll in it that I haven't finished yet, so will check when it's done. Feck - rangefinders don't seem to like me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sineadw wrote: »
    Its the Fed 2 Al. Stuck another roll in it that I haven't finished yet, so will check when it's done. Feck - rangefinders don't seem to like me!

probably pinholes in the shutter curtain then.

Yep, it's a fabric shutter, you got holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Fajitas! wrote: »

in different area codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

dug by little moles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at the risk of suggesting something very stupid, do i remember reading that pinholes in fabric shutters can be repaired with judicious use of nail varnish?

Crappety crap. That's what I was afraid of.
    at the risk of suggesting something very stupid, do i remember reading that pinholes in fabric shutters can be repaired with judicious use of nail varnish?

Please someone feel free to contradict me (I hope I'm wrong!) but from what I've read once the rubber on the fabric starts going it'll just keep deteriorating? I might look into replacing the shutter altogether. Or I might buy ANOTHER one...

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I've heard of a few approaches to DIY shutter shutter curtain repair, I can't confirm or deny the nail polish theory, but one common approach people take is to use a tiny(really tiny) amount of the rubber cement that comes with tents or tyre repair kits, and colouring it black when it's hardened. If you do a search on APUG, rangefinderforum or photo.net forums you should find plenty of approaches that people swear by.

How much would the FED 2 cost to replace? I can't imagine it being any more than the cost of replacing the shutter curtain, but if you do send it off for fixing you could always get the shutter speeds and rangefinder verified too at little extra cost. Again, the rangefinderforum is a great resource for this stuff, there's a whole sub forum for russian cameras too, just look for FSU on their front page.

Personally, I'd try to fix it myself, especially since it doesn't involve playing with any of the mechanical parts.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that :) I'm trying to find a shutter I can stick in myself - not worth sending it away as I only paid 20 odd quid for the camera in the first place.. I'll have a look on the sites now though - I really wanted to use it for some documentary work I have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Heh, that's brave, you must really get a kick out of the repairs if you're willing to replace the entire shutter assembly. I don't suppose you have a repair manual for it, do you? The repair manual's what got me through replacing the winding mechanism on my little minolta rangefinder.

Gah! No - not the entire assembly. As little as I can get away with! I think it might be going to the big blue camera box in the sky (my wardrobe) though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Do you need the replacement camera to be a Rangefinder?

Something small Tony. Feckin G9 died on me :( I have a small film slr but I wanted something that people wouldn't bat an eyelid at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have a couple of small 35mm Compacts you could use.

G9 died on me

You're worse than I am with cameras - At least I get plenty of use out of them first

You're worse than I am with cameras - At least I get plenty of use out of them first

Tell me about it! Common fault in the line apparently. Might be fixable but I don't have time with assignments..

Tony I'll give you a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

looks like Orbs, maybe a guardian angel

Advertisement