Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike maintenance course

• 02-02-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi, I was thinking of doing one of these courses. Anyone done them before? What do they cover?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you should do it

courses cover different things from mainatince to repair

i gaurentee that you will be a happier and better biker once you know how to maintain and repair your bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

Donkeys years ago in DIT. Well worth the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

3 years part time in DIT, course link
    Anyone done this? Worth doing? Little background about myself, i'm a full time student studyin a business degree, in year 1 now (of 4 years), so if i enrol in this come september, i'll pass both courses the same year, and have that IMI cert and a BA Business, but for my career i'd prob not use the IMI, just want to learn how to take care of my baby (fazer) and maybe have that handy mechanic skill if my career goes belly up, (which ever i pursue)
    Maybe for what i want i'll just do a shorted few week course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

do it im a qualified chemist and electronic enginerer and i make a nice living doing something i did for a laugh

if oits interesting then do it

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Anything like this course (or shorter) down the country say in Tipp/Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Well worth doing.

People will always want bike problems sorted out, not like other trades in the country that have come to a complete standstill.

I was brought up on Brit machines where learning something about the mechanics of your bike was no choice however I am completly lost with some of the later Jap stuff such as tuning the carbs on my Slingshot :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Xios wrote: »
    Anyone done this? Worth doing? Little background about myself, i'm a full time student studyin a business degree, in year 1 now (of 4 years), so if i enrol in this come september, i'll pass both courses the same year, and have that IMI cert and a BA Business, but for my career i'd prob not use the IMI, just want to learn how to take care of my baby (fazer) and maybe have that handy mechanic skill if my career goes belly up, (which ever i pursue)

What use would that three year course be as a garage will probably prefer to take on someone young for an apprenticeship? It seems something that relevant to existing sales or other staff only, who want to be more effective or train as a mechanic. It might help getting a sales post, but someone with existing strong retail experience will have better standing. Leaving aside that many ads specify age, a young man might be easier to manage and will expect far less pay.

Xios wrote: »

The course I did was 1 year city & guilds, 2 or 3 evenings a week. I did it to save some money on maintenance. 3 years seems a little long but if there are no shorter term courses it will save you a fortune in labour & spares, it will be worth it in the end.

btw, motorcycle mechanics are pretty low paid & with all the shops shutting down I would't consider it as a career option.

Well i don't wanna be a mechanic, but it's something to fall back on, i'll look up some shorter courses, i think i just wanna expand my knowledge, maybe i should watch more 'How it's made', lol

You can't go wrong either way. If your a biker for life you save €€€ on doing things yourself....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

On the negative side you might gain loads of "mates" expecting to get stuff done for nothing. :p

On the negative side you might gain loads of "mates" expecting to get stuff done for nothing. :p

At the moment, i have 2 friends with bikes, an i'm convincing one to do a course with me, so don't mind helping the other guy out, since he's got enough trouble with an unplanned baby, poor chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

I was thinkin' of doing this one (scroll down the list) - anyone know of it or done it before?

http://www.newparknightschool.ie/coursesoffered-azlist.html

Advertisement