Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for feedback on this short video

Options
  • 02-02-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hey like the title says just looking for feedback on this short film,
    no video/editing experience before this.

Shot on a fujifilm finepix s2000hd
    edited with adobe after effects cs4

all comments +ve/-ve welcomed

the thing I dont like is the dodgy tracking on the tv, as well as the focus problems with the text at that part

edit: maybe the link is important

watch in hd on youtube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Might be a help to post a link too it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

thanks cian

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Hudsonriver,
    I very nice piece for your first edit. Well done.

A couple of things to think about – Steady Eddie, some of the shots where very shaky (most likely because you where at high zoom) use a tri or Monopod where possible.

Think about what message you are trying to give, maybe a bit more text or a voice over may have helped. However the pictures speak for themselves.

Think about your shot type and composition. I did not really see a wide or set up shot and there was not much of a mix of shots (wide, close up etc.) to keep us interested. A final positive message to go away with – i.e. a call to arms, how to help would have been nice.

I liked the music, did you try to edit to the beat of the music?

Maybe you should but your work on vimeo.com( have a look at this site) . This is more for creative videos than youtube.

Again well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

Thanks for the comments Tommy, only saw them now.

A tripod was deifnitely lacking, the zoomed shots where barely usable with the shake. I agree with the lack of variation as well. What do you mean by a set up shot?

About a final message I duno. i would be more happy for the viewer to think about it themselves, I understand your point but guess its just me.

The song has been one of my favourites since they released the album so it was constantly in mind editing, tho cant say it cousciously made me decide anything

Indeed Iv been looking at vimeo, and love it, the only thing that has stopped me uploading this video is there 500mb limit, while this is 800 mb, out of after effects as a quicktime movie. How do you think I should compress it? I mihgt re-render it if I ever get around to it.

Thanks again, I got fairly slaughtered for it on other boards forums but I guess they wernt the targeted audience

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

hudsonriver,
    I think for you first edit it was very good. After lots of edits and study you, i expect you will be very good.

I would hopefully say the same about myself.

Normaly you would start with a long/wide shot. It is good to show the view where we are. Often in a tv you would see the outside of the building then inside, to give the viewer perspective. Check this site out, it has some good articals.

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/shots/

About a final message I duno. i would be more happy for the viewer to think about it themselves, I understand your point but guess its just me.
    Fair point.

Normaly you would edit to the beat of the music, so the cuts in the film would occor with some change in the music. It is only something i am getting used to my self. This adds to the flow of the film.

As for vimeo, encode to MP4 with a bit rate of 5000, and you will be way under the 500mb limit. I uploaded 8 min of HD clip, about 360mb.

Vimeo will encode to this any way. More info below.

Vimeo - Compression Guidelines

· Codecs

A codec is the format in which your video will be encoded. Different codecs have different features and varying quality. For best results, we recommend using H.264 (sometimes referred to as MP4) for the video codec and AAC (short for Advanced Audio Codec) for the audio codec. If you're on a Windows machine, WMV3 is a good choice for video codec.

· Frame rate and keyframes

If there is an option that says "current," it is best to just go with that. Otherwise, this is usually 30 fps (frames per second) for USA, Canada, and Japan, while in Europe and rest of the world it's usually 25 fps. If there is an option for keyframes, use the same value you used for framerate.

· Data rate

This setting controls both the visual quality of the video and how big the file will be. In most video editors, this is done in terms of kilobits per second (kbits/sec or kbps). Use 2000 kbits/sec for standard definition 4:3 video, 3000 kbits/sec for widescreen DV, or 5000 kbits/sec for high definition footage.

· Resolution

640x480 for standard definition 4:3 video, 853x480 for widescreen DV, or 1280x720 for high definition. It is also best to export 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 video as 1280x720 too, since we will automatically scale it down. If you have the option to control the pixel aspect ratio (not display aspect ratio) make sure it's set to "1:1" or "1.00", also sometimes called "square pixels."

· Deinterlacing

If you have this option, enable it. If you shoot in DV format, this is an especially important. If you do not deinterlace, you will often get weird-looking horizontal lines in your video.

· Audio settings

Choose AAC for the audio codec. You'll want to set the bit rate to 320 kbps and the sample rate to 44.100 kHz.
    · Acceptable video format

While we like MP4 the best, we will generally accept any of the following formats: 3g2, 3gp, 3gp2, 3gpp, asf, asx, avi, divx, mts, m2t, m2ts, m2v, m4v, mkv, mov, mp4, mpe, mpeg, mpg, ogg, wmv.

• Advertisement
Advertisement