Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tearin down a wall

• 02-02-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Well, kinda! In my new apartment there's a jacks in the sittin room which is great on paper but unfortunately the practically of the situation demands I get rid of it.

Now I have all the necessary tools and know how to do this, my question is (potenntially dumb) do I need to have any kind of planning permission or anything of the like? A few of my mates seem to think that there was some law passed or some bull about places needing to be wheelchair accessible, which is a trifle dumb because I'm on the second floor!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

What exactly are you planning to do?
    Have you removed the wall between your bathroom & living room?

All houses must be wheelchair accessible & have a wheelchair accesible wc since circa 1997. If we assume your apartment is relatively new - 3 years old then it did have a disabled accessible wc / bathroom.
    If you do not change the size of the bathroom or move the wc then I can assume you will continue to have a legal wc.

I'd need more info from you to be sure. Check out Document M on the Dept of Enviro web site. It has dimensioned drawings of disabled wc & bathrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Well, kinda! In my new apartment there's a jacks in the sittin room which is great on paper but unfortunately the practically of the situation demands I get rid of it.

Now I have all the necessary tools and know how to do this, my question is (potenntially dumb) do I need to have any kind of planning permission or anything of the like? A few of my mates seem to think that there was some law passed or some bull about places needing to be wheelchair accessible, which is a trifle dumb because I'm on the second floor!

Any ideas?

I'm not aware of any planning permission required to remove internal walls, their might be some regulation should the wall be load bearing or should space in wall act as a riser for other apartments, its possible apartments above or below you have services (water / waste / cables) located inside your wall. Worth checking out if their is anything other than your own services inside wall.

A few years ago a lot of two story houses had D/S toilet under stairs, impossible for wheel chair access so those type of toilets can no longer be used, never really noticed any issues with size of bathrooms in apartments to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You do not need planning permission to do this alteration. You are however obliged to ensure that you do have one accessible toilet that complies with Part M of the Building Regulations if the apartment was built after 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

items wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any planning permission required to remove internal walls, their might be some regulation should the wall be load bearing or should space in wall act as a riser for other apartments, its possible apartments above or below you have services (water / waste / cables) located inside your wall. Worth checking out if their is anything other than your own services inside wall.

A few years ago a lot of two story houses had D/S toilet under stairs, impossible for wheel chair access so those type of toilets can no longer be used, never really noticed any issues with size of bathrooms in apartments to be honest.

No the wall is attached only to my sitting room wall and roof, there's nothing below or above me either. There are a few sockets in the wall and **** but the apartment shares a stairwell with one other apartment directly across me. So surely I'd get away with it!?

Advertisement