Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minding a cat after neutering.

Options
  • 02-02-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just writing to vent out or seek some sympathy really.
    I brought the cat back today after the neutering and he tried to escape already. Anyways, he already urinated on the floor and will not stay in his usual spot, etc. It's very frustrating, he can't barely walk but will try anyways. He was a stray cat and is used to use the litter box and sleep always on the same place, etc, however is trying to go out.
    Is he supposed to drink water? I forgot to ask the vet :(
    Sorry for this, I just needed to express it.
    Thanks.

Lucianot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Give him water and a small bit of food, can you shut him in a bathroom or something for the night? He will be drowsy for 24hrs usually and they recover pretty quick. Did the vet use dissolving stitches or glue? Or do you have to go back to get stitches out?
    Really for a male it's not a big op, just the anesthetic makes them bit disorientated. My cat was able to jump onto windowsill the next day and didn't seem to be bothered at all. Just slept bit more for few days.
    The peeing on the floor could be due to be disorientated after anesthetic, just give him a chance to come round a bit more.
    I'm assuming he was done today?

Cats can be bit funny about drinking, one thing usually works for getting fluids in, is get a pouch of catfood(the Gravy kind is best) put it in a bowl and mix it with some water, enough to cover it but not so it's swimming. The cat will lap the liquid first.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Thanks Mymo. Yes, it was done today at 3pm. He is still drowsy. I gave them just 10 pellets of cat food...he is very hungry.
    He will stay in the kichen, that's where he wants to stay as he always eats there.
    I can't see the stitches but I will call tomorrow again to ask more questions.
    He trieed to escape already, ran so fast almost couldn't catch him, now is more quiet.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

3pm isn't long ago, go easy on the food until the morning but try to get him to drink.
    My vet uses glue for toms, no stitches at all, and the wound is so small you can hardly see it.
    He prob tried to escape 'cos he's confused, poor chap will probably sleep all night.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Yes, no more food for now. Now that my wife is here he is more himself. Cats like more women voices it seems.
    Thanks a lot.

Advertisement