Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read My Lips: No New Taxes

• 02-02-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

We've heard it all before:
    HEI GAIZ I'm X
    I'm running 4 Y
    N I promise 2:

Get more microwaves, like, everywhere!!!!11!!!1

Create new parking spaces, for, like, cars, all around campus!!!!1!!!!1111wun!!
    !

There's always a couple of promises in SU candidate manifestos that have been rehashed and repeated year after year, and never carried out once the elected finds out the actual work/insurance concerns/impossibility of the task. Ents and President positions seem to be the main offenders!

Anyone remember any other stereotypical campaign promises that are never kept?

(I feel cynical today)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

One waster who got elected years ago promised to have all the traffic lights in the village reprogrammed to aid the flow of traffic. As you can see, he done a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I hear one of the guys running for Ents last year promised some good Events.

He lied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

'A second ATM on campus'.

'I'll somehow fix the magazine/update the website, despite not knowing anything print or web design'

'I knows lots about advertising'

First ones that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I think someone running for SU president promising stuff that was already guaranteed to be coming in within the next year.

Someone also promised in one election to change bus times for commuters, because Dublin bus are controlled by NUIMSU. :rolleyes:

Windmills.

Last year. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

Vote Declan for finance and each student WILL get a free iPhone, segway and pet hamster! :D

Seriously though, I tried to get microwaves and it just didn't happen. the debate is still going on and I asked the SU to get them put in the common room, but haven't heard back yet.

It is hard to gain an appreciation for the scope of a position until you are in it. But this year I think my real manifesto will be doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I want two hamsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I want two hamsters.

I'll swap you your segway for my hamster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Stop me if i'm wrong here, but are the elections for the su not just a popularity contest?
    The guy who knows the most people that like them will win, right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Effluo wrote: »
    Stop me if i'm wrong here, but are the elections for the su not just a popularity contest?
    The guy who knows the most people that like them will win, right?

Yes and no.

The guy who knows most will do well but if someone goes solely to vote for Candidate X for President they then will end up voting for all the other positions too. They might not know any of those candidates so then they have to choose based either on what they've seen/heard of each or just pick randomly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

...and people tend to like candidates who promise them free drink/U2 in the Venue/complementary prostitutes:pac:

irish_goat wrote: »
    Yes and no.

The guy who knows most will do well but if someone goes solely to vote for Candidate X for President they then will end up voting for all the other positions too. They might not know any of those candidates so then they have to choose based either on what they've seen/heard of each or just pick randomly.

+1

It's very much the case that people go in to vote for President and just vote 1/2/3/4 quickly down the ballot paper. And there's the whole popularity contest side of it too. Sometimes it works out very well, sometimes it doesn't. Same as any election on any level really.

Sometimes, like last year's Welfare position where there were 6 candidates, there are so many that it's almost a game of chance. Or, like the the welfare position the year before that, only one person runs.

Generally, though, it's pretty unpredictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

True. I'm really hoping the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, thing doesn't happen too much this year for President because at the time of writing there are seven candidates and my name is second last in alphabetical order. If I get a huge number of sixth preferences I will be a shade annoyed. :p

Whoever gets 500+ votes on the first count will win. If that doesn't happen then it's just a game of chance.

Thanks to the boardsies who posted encouraging comments on my page! :)

I wonder can we update this thread during this year's elections?:p

Mod-abeez?

On that topic, can we discuss who we may or may not be voting for??

I've no objections there.

*makes list*

*checks twice*

*gonna eat some toast*

Can we get new folk banned who *clearly* are here just to promote a candidate and not contribute anything?

No, but I will ban spammers and advertisers. ;)

Good enough for me! :)

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    Can we get new folk banned who *clearly* are here just to promote a candidate and not contribute anything?

GERRYMANDERER!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Duddy wrote: »
    Mod-abeez?

This.....words cannot describe the awesome.

This.....words cannot describe the awesome.

Ah here I'm very lenient!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Ah here I'm very lenient!

yeah, but dont worry, we'll soon have you cured of that ailment and you'll be stomping on dreams and aspirations with the best of 'em in no time!

MOAR PLUGS IN THE READING ROOM!
    LONGER LIBRARY HOURS!
    LONGER PACR HOURS!
    KITCHEN IN THE COMMON ROOM!

Pulled from a presidential candidate's manifesto today...

And so it begins...

There's one manifesto that's just idiotic. I remember they wanted the new canteen constructed in a stupid amount of time.

banquo wrote: »
    There's one manifesto that's just idiotic. I remember they wanted the new canteen constructed in a stupid amount of time.

Same one.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Duddy wrote: »
    Pulled from a presidential candidate's manifesto today...

And so it begins...

The kitchen in the common room is ludicrously easy to achieve, it just needs to be done in a concerted, logical way.... more plugs in the library however is all but impossible because of a power shortage in the south campus generally, which could be solved, but will take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I want two hamsters.

Capitalist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement