Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 11th is my quitting date!! (hypnosis recommendation?)

Options
  • 02-02-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I'm telling as many people as I can that I'm quitting so that I can't put it off so easily - because, believe me, already I'm coming up with my excuses in my mind - there's an event shortly after where lots of people will be smoking, maybe I should wait for Lent, etc., etc.
    But then again, if I can get through the event without smoking, that will be my first milestone to get over, and if I start sooner, I will have a headstart on those Lenten quitters!
    Half of me is looking forward to it - I've been smoking full time for about eight years now (with the occasional month or so off) and I'm definitely hitting the 20 a day (and more on nights out), and I can definitely feel it effecting my health.
    The other half of me is dreading the loss of my longtime companion, friend, stress and boredom reliever and sometime lover (not really :p). I know this is the wrong attitude and I've read Alan Carr, but it's a hard thing to shake.
    So, this time I'm opting for hypnosis. I think I'm in as close a mindset as I'm ever going to get to make it work.
    So, aside from strenghtening my resolve, I also wanted to post to see if anybody can recommend a hypnotherapist. I'm looking for a reputable person around Dublin city centre who charges no more than €200, has a free comeback session if the first doesn't work, and who gives a personalised cd to take home afterwards. Any first hand experience tales would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 One Of Shanks

I don't know of any hypnotherapist that I'd recommend, but it might be the way to go for you alright.

That sort of stance of viewing cigarrettes as a long-term friend will hinder you giving them up.

So you're taking the right kind of step in my opinion.

The very best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

I dont want to sound negitive but it really has to be your mindset, i too have read allen carr, tried champix, patches, hypnosis:eek: 4 times. ive smoked for over 30 years and tried to quit so many times i cant remember. From reading the posts on here it seems that EVERYONE has a different method to quit, what works for some , just does not work for others. I also think up great excuses to hold off the day, and blame everyone but me when i fail to stop. I know the only thing that can work is just never to light another one, sounds simple right ?. So can i be your quit buddy :D. also there are cds on y tube that you can download and listen to. Paul mckenna has a book on quitting and you get a free disc on hypnosis to listen to. maybe you could try that ,it doesnt cost too much. :o sorry for the rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

That sort of stance of viewing cigarrettes as a long-term friend will hinder you giving them up.

I completly agree! You CANNOT allow yourself to think this way! Would you remain "friends" with someone when its clearly a one sided relationship? Cigarettes are NOT your friend. They are selfish and cause you nothing but long term addiction, suffering and eventually a slow painful death. Hardly someone you would want to be associated with?!!

I know how hard it is to quit! I am only off them since the 24th january but Im still going good. Most of it is will power and state of mind. If you are not ready to quit or are doing it for someone else, you will find it difficult to succeed. So prepare yourself mentally, get plenty of support and good luck!!!

These forums will help you no end, as as the last poster said, everyone has their own way of quitting so find the best way for you! But remember most people quit cold turkey with will power.

Good luck again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Any hypnotherapist is as good as the next one with one caveat ... you MUST WANT TO QUIT. Hypnotherapy won't get you to do anything you don't want to do - it can only reinforce what you want or use suggestion to support you in what you already want.

I personally know a well respected hypnotherapist/psychotherapist and I can give you her contact details by PM if you like. She's based just outside the city.

As for CD/free callback - they're gimmicks to get you to come in - and I don't know if she does them. At the end of day you will only quit if you want to and no CD or promise of a free session will do that for you.

If you want the details PM me or post here.

Best of luck with quitting. It is worth it - it is torture at times but if you stick with it you will feel the difference and be happier with yourself.

Advertisement