Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry-suit

• 02-02-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31

Ok I`m in the market for a new dry suit. What do you guys use and what do you think of them. I`ve been using one from Northern diver and its only lasted five years. Its leaking at the seams and I have been told not to waste good money getting it repaired as I`d only be back a few months later with same problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

I've heard very good reviews on O'Three drysuits.

Custom fit but can be a little pricey.

www.othree.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Heard good reviews about O'Three too. The drysuit section of their website is being reconstructed at the moment. They've either made to measure or made to fit. Made to fit is cheaper, they match the closest pre-made size to yours, then alter the seals etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bhatat

wrecks1971 wrote: »
    Ok I`m in the market for a new dry suit. What do you guys use and what do you think of them. I`ve been using one from Northern diver and its only lasted five years. Its leaking at the seams and I have been told not to waste good money getting it repaired as I`d only be back a few months later with same problem.

I've used these guys several times - the suits are good, relatively inexpensive, and you have several "novelty options" as well..

Being a strange shape (like most of us), I get a lot less leakage in a suit that was made for me, rather than crowbar-ing myself into a "standard" size.

http://www.scapascuba.com/drysuitrepairs.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Have had two ND drysuits, both neoprene. The first lasted 11 years, the second was leaking within 6mths.

The difference in the quality was down to ND changing their manufacturing base from the UK to China.

I dumped it after a wet 3yrs for an O'Three. Haven't looked back since.

Quality, 100% dry.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 wrecks1971

What about Otter dry suits anyone know anything about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

If I were going for a membrane suit I'd get an Otter, Brittannic I think is the name

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Bought a ND and within 1 week (4 dives) the neck seals perished. Very flimsy light weight latex seals.......

Have an otter Brittanic Narvic..... great suit front entry and all neoprene seals. Has been through hell and back and is still water tight

Although, have to agree with Seadeuce. The O'threes are very popular and seem built to last..... Have heard nothing but good things from mates who are using them.

All of which are using 3mm compressed Neoprene suits all neoprene seals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Submara

Some of the recent Northern Diver suits are very inconsistent but they were the top drysuit 10 years ago. British Navy Divers all use Northern Diver suits and they don't seem to have a problem with them but maybe they put more care in to producing suits for them as it is such a big contract.

O'three is the best neoprene suit on the market at moment and they are worth every cent.

Another good dry suit is the Typhoon Neo 3mm which is used by the Irish Navy Diving Section. This suit is not really publicised/advertisied by Typhoon as it is more a commercial model but it's readily available on the recreational market.

P.S. I have a new Northern Diver suit for sale if anybody is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 off gas

Submara wrote: »
    Some of the recent Northern Diver suits are very inconsistent but they were the top drysuit 10 years ago. British Navy Divers all use Northern Diver suits and they don't seem to have a problem with them but maybe they put more care in to producing suits for them as it is such a big contract.

O'three is the best neoprene suit on the market at moment and they are worth every cent.

Another good dry suit is the Typhoon Neo 3mm which is used by the Irish Navy Diving Section. This suit is not really publicised/advertisied by Typhoon as it is more a commercial model but it's readily available on the recreational market.

P.S. I have a new Northern Diver suit for sale if anybody is interested.

In fact the Irish Navy Diving Section currently use Northern Diver Suits and had the typhoon suits for only a very short time as they did not appear to match their needs/expectations.

The navy are diving with a military spec (4mm I think) Northern Diver Suit.

Dry Suits are like opinions, no one suit meets every divers needs/desires. otherwise there would be need only for one manufacturer.

I believe the Garda Diving Team use and have virtually always used Northern Diver Suits.

I'm surprised there isn't a huge amount of reports of suit failures, due to the heavy wear and tear the suits would be put through by the Navy and Garda., (plenty of diving in really crap conditions being used almost every day.)

I'm not saying typhoon is worse or better than northern diver, but all I wanted to do was put the record straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 wrecks1971

Hi all I went for an Otter dry suit in the end. The quility is much better than the Northern diver. I`ll not be buying Northern diver again I was not happy with the response I got from them either. My friend baught a new Northern suit awhile back and hes having problems with that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 mpeter92

I have an O'Three, made to measure for over a year now and love it.

Advertisement