Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Traction control light on constantly!!

Options
  • 02-02-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

This is a longshot, but i'm hoping maybe someone with BMW experience can help me. I have a 98 bmw 323i, the older shape one. It has traction control which i used to be able to switch on/off with a button on the dash, but since just before xmas the light is on permanently, regardless of whether i press the switch. If i give it the welly in the wet now i get serious wheelspin, not a huge problem in itself but unfortunately i have the N.C.T. coming soon and it'll fail with this warning light on. Any suggestions on what it might be? Anyone ever have this problem on their BMW? Your help would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Make sure it isn't just switched off with the button inside.

If not just put it through and see what happens.

The warning light stuff is new, you may pass.

Also traction control is something most cars don't have so not having it on may not be an issue for NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barryteabag

Thanks Frank, but i've checked and the problem isn't with the button/switch inside the car. And i believe the NCT people are now failing cars for these type of warning lights being on, regardless of whether or not the car needs traction control, their view is if it has it, it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

What about he Homer simpson approach. Black tape over the warning light. :)

If you are in Dublin the lads in MKW motors. will be able to diagnose for you without the BMW wallet surgery.

MKW Motors

Unit A6 & A7 Kingswood Bus pk Baldonnel rd Baldonnel 22 Co. Dublin
    • Tel: (01)4595266
    • Mob: (087)6681248

I dont think this should come under the warning light fail section. Its not really a warning light in the way an airbag light or abs light is. Its there to tell you that the traction control is turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

AFAIK the new NCT rules apply from April.
    You should still have your car diagnosed, it could be one of a number of different causes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

There is a Garage in Kilkenny - Mark Murphy Motors 056 7726030
    He knows everything any thing to do with bmeers.
    does the abs light come on at all - i think the abs ties into the traction contol ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The tiny ASC cable has either frayed or snapped - about €7 for a new one. Refer to the Haynes manual for your model (sneak a look in Halfords) and you'll see where it's located.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

From looking at the manual it seems they're only worried about oil warning light and ABS warning light.

http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctmanual.pdf

my car flew through the NCT with the engine warning light on (stupid o2 sensor) last may so i'd say your safe mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Could be the wheel speed sensor.. One may be faulty or just dirty.. Take each wheel off and remove the sensor behind the disc.. give it a clean and check the connections..

• Advertisement
Advertisement