Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necessary or worth it to use a surveyor?

Options
  • 02-02-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I am in the process of buying a 40 year old house just off collins avenue in Whitehall.
    I was wondering if it is really necessary or worth it to use a surveyor before the contract is signed, as the prices for inspection are quite expensive.
    I am confident that I can inspect the wiring, plumbing, insulation and al the obvious stuff myself and I have friends who are trades people that can have a look with me too.
    The only think I would not be able to check for would be if there was a structural problem such as subsidencem, although I would notice if there were any cracks on walls etc.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

It is a false economy not to conduct a survey of a second hand house, remember you are buying 'caveat emptor' i.e. buyer beware so you will have absolutely no recourse against anyone if there is a structural problem with the property. In the contect of the money you are spending on the property the price of a structural survey is comparatively small change and could save you thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

When i got a survey done on my house it showed up only small problems, but they still cost the sellers over €2500 to put right and the house was only 9 years old. Well worth the surveyors fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

I have never bought a house but I would have thought it's imperative to check for structurial problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

The survey fee may be expensive, but nowhere as much as you're paying for the house!

Its gotta be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Out of curiosity how much are we talking about for a survey?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

A survey is essential, however be careful! It is probably better to do the survey after the contracts have been issued but not signed. Some surveyors try to talk you out of buying House A in the hope you will hire them to survey House B.
    Have your tradesmen friends in at an early stage but remember they have no indemnity insurance.

Advertisement