Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless says connected but wont connect to Internet..

• 02-02-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Samsung NC10 with XP. I travel to different offices of my company around Ireland.

They all use the same WEP key to connect wirelessly but I can only connect to one of them.

I have the wireless network connection icon on my toolbar which says Im connected but I cant connect to internet bar one.

Any ideas?

The signal strength always says good or excellent.:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

In internet explorer

go to

Tools - Internet options - connections - LAN settings and make sure nothing is ticked then close and reopen your internet browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Maybe this:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

In internet explorer

go to

Tools - Internet options - connections - LAN settings and make sure nothing is ticked then close and reopen your internet browser

Thanks for reply.

I'll try that tomorrow..

What is ticked at the moment

What is ticked at the moment

There is nothing ticked.

• Advertisement

Then you should try automatically detect settings . Give it a go . You can try it now if you want . It shouldn't effect your connection

I ticked the ' automatically detect settings' box.

I will be going to an office tomorrow and see if it works.

Thanks for your help.

Its just a bit weird that it can connect to one LAN and not others.

Did you get your connection working

Did you get your connection working

No joy on getting connected to internet.

Tried again today- says im connected with excellent signal strength but I cant connect to IE.

Would trying a different browser make any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

click Start > Run and type "cmd" without quotes and hit OK, then at the command prompt type "ping www.boards.ie" without quotes and hit enter.
    Do you get a reply back or does it say timed out?

• Advertisement

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    click Start > Run and type "cmd" without quotes and hit OK, then at the command prompt type "ping www.boards.ie" without quotes and hit enter.

Thanks I'll try that.
    I wont be at the connection point until Monday and I'll report back then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

They definately don't use any (or different) web proxies at the different office locations?

marco_polo wrote: »
    They definately don't use any (or different) web proxies at the different office locations?

Would the icon on the tool bar show as connected if they were using different proxies?

A guy in work gave me WEP key and said it should work at every office location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Would the icon on the tool bar show as connected if they were using different proxies?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

iggy wrote: »

A guy in work gave me WEP key and said it should work at every office location.

It would. The connection shown is to the router.

Do you have dynamic IP set on your lappy?

RoadKillTs wrote: »

I did this and it says " timed out"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

How is your IP allocated? If it is not dynamic then the best bet is that the other offices use a dirrerent subnet to the one in the office where you connect.

Check this first then report back, can you get online via a wired connection?

Advertisement