Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RN Harrier Jockeys want the F-35C

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thanks Steyr a very interesting read!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Which is all very well and good, but the pilots don't seem to answer the rather obvious question of "How is this going to actually get into the sky?"

It's fine for the Red Flag exercises they mention, Nellis has quite a large runway. But the British carriers will not come equipped with catapults. (Electromagnetic catapults will be planned for retrofit once they figure out how to get them to work).

Until that happens, the QEs (And for certain the Invincibles) will be unable to operate the F-35Cs. So if they want a modern airplane, they'll take the B and be grateful for it!

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

http://www.key.aero/view_feature.asp?ID=45&thisSection=military

Good interview, at least they have the balls to say it, but on the other hand who is going to listen to them?

Robert Gates. allegedly not a fan of Dave B, he wants the USMC to go for Dave C and save him a fortune in fleet and development costs - if the USMC caves in its curtains for Dave B and the RN will get either Dave C or nothing, and given the the QE carriers were designed from the start to be CATOBAR-able should the RN change its mind about a ramp...

obviously going for Dave C for the RN means making a decision about whether the RAF should go for the Dave C as well, or to strike out on its own and go for Dave A. Dave A is going to be cheaper to buy and simpler, Dave C is going to mean fleet commonality - cheper to run than two different models - as well as providing a much greater 'surge' capability for carrier bourne aviation should that be required.

i'd go for Dave C for the whole UK buy, but then i also think Dave and CVF are going to get cancelled anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Original Steyr

OS119 wrote: »
    Robert Gates. allegedly not a fan of Dave B .

Indeed i posted a link to that in the Mil News Thread,he sacked the USMC General in charge of the Project.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055757647&page=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I'm sure I read somewhere that Britian has revised it order quantity.. twice I think, is this an indication of a possible shift maybe to the 35C.

• Advertisement
Advertisement