Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtime Tracking?

Options
  • 02-02-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Would anyone here know if an Employer is legally obliged to track overtime worked, even if the Employee is not being paid for said overtime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

As far as I know an employer has to track all time worked as legally an employee is not allowed to work more then 50 hours per week unless previously agreed.
    Even if agreed it still needs to be tracked in case of a HSA audit for working times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Can't see that applying to supermarket managers!

I was aware of the working time directive but not the HSA audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭T-wolf

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Can't see that applying to supermarket managers!

I was aware of the working time directive but not the HSA audit.

I wonder if it applies to on-the-road engineers like myself?

Basically, being run into the ground here at work. But the call logging/tracking system takes no account of travel time, breaks, overtime, or on call time. Since this is screwing myself and others over when we argue about time off, wages etc, we're wondering can this non-tracking of time be legal? The Boss seems to think he can get away with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

T-wolf wrote: »
    I wonder if it applies to on-the-road engineers like myself?

Basically, being run into the ground here at work. But the call logging/tracking system takes no account of travel time, breaks, overtime, or on call time. Since this is screwing myself and others over when we argue about time off, wages etc, we're wondering can this non-tracking of time be legal? The Boss seems to think he can get away with it!!

I wouldn't think it is legal.

www.citizensinformation.ie maybe able to help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

On call would not count towards overtime unless you actually took a call, travel time is a maybe at best (depends on the type of travel). Breaks is 30 min a day paid and 30 min unpaid so those are easy enough to account for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I know the RSA can call into our company and ask to see records that fulfill the Working time directive (Haulage)

Everyone is supposed to abide by it but I don't know who enforces it, you could find the relevant authorities and report them anonymously. The powers that be would probably have to investigate a complaint and your company would probably get away with a warning for now but would have to implement a tracking system

Advertisement