Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building in Donegal - Quotes

Options
  • 02-02-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi folks,

I am currently getting prices for direct labour for a 3500 sq ft house and have no prob getting labour but don't have a clue as to what materials cost. i.e. insulation, roof, radon material etc.

What do I need and how much per whatever?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

The only way anyone can give you a price is after looking over the drawings and knowing more about the construction type you're using. Give us more detail, maybe we can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 castleking1

The block count is 13000 from ground up. It has a large footprint - two storey with ajoining double garage. Getting a price per block builder for 90 cent with blocks working out at 40 cents to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

That's still not very helpful.
    • You need a ground floor area in order to determine the amount of radon barrier.
    • What is your target U-Value for the walls? This will allow you to determine insulation levels.
    • What is your cladding? Is it render?
    • How are you dealing with airtightness?
    • What kind of roof are you using?
    • What kind of windows do you want? What is their target U-value?
    • What flooring are you using?
    • What kinds of interior finishes? Do you want fancy stairs or something like that?
    All of these factors and many more will affect the cost of the project. I suggest you engage the services of a professional to help you work through all of these questions. I would also suggest looking at a factory-built timber frame house as they can help you with the above and help you design a house that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

justflow's post covers a lot. what type of heating system?

without any of those ideas you can't even start to consider a price.

your best bet would be to talk a QS who could advise you properly but without having considered of the points above is it nigh on impossible.

you can always use the 100e per sq ft as a very rough guide at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

your best bet would be to talk a QS who could advise you properly but without having considered of the points above is it nigh on impossible.
    +1 on this and Id strongly advise that you get a BER assessor onboard at this stage as he can help with the renewables, insulation etc and in any even you are going to nee a cert upon completion.

What part of Donegal are you building in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement