Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retired Numbers

• 02-02-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Just reading there that the No3 jerseys at Nottingham Forest and Inter Milan are both retired. At Forest for Stuart Pearce, at Inter for Giacinto Fachetti.

Anyone know of any other clubs that have retired numbers? I don't think it's happened at Arsenal. To be honest, I didnt really realise that it happened in soccer, always thought it was more of an American thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

First that came to mind is Mark Vivien Foe for Manchester City. But anyway, here's a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retired_numbers_in_association_football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Pretty sure West Ham have retired the number 6 for Bobby Moore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Paulo Maldini is a recent one, his #3 at Milan.

Never new it was common that clubs retired numbers of players who died. If you look a the "Years" section of the link above most of the players where there for only a short time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

You have to laugh at FC Midtjylland retiring the number 14 jersey for Mohamed Zidan, he played less than 50 games there, so basically 2 seasons. Bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Cruyff @ Ajax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Chelsea have more or less retired the #25 for Gianfranco Zola. No other player has since held that number (and I can't see them giving it out willy-nilly either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Did Sevilla retire Puertas jersey no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Paulo Maldini is a recent one, his #3 at Milan.

Milan #3 aint fully retired, He gave his son permission to use it, if he ever makes it. haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Frisbee wrote: »

yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Unless a player died, I can't see the point.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

Well it's all tokenistic. You can show respect to living people for being great servants to a club etc..

Des wrote: »

I am actually the opposite tbh, just cause a player died shouldn't mean his jersey is retired. Like Foe at City, yeah its a nice idea and that but he was hardly a major man at City and was just a normal squad player till he died.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Frisbee wrote: »
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    yup

Not quite, according to that Wikipedia page
    The shirt has not been fully retired. It was temporarily retired after Puerta died of a cardiac arrest on the first matchday in La Liga 2007–2008 However, the Spanish Football Federation rules state that clubs must use number 1 to 25 for their regular squad, and as a result, David Prieto wore the number in 2008 in honour of his friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Foe's Lyon number 17 shirt has come out of retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Some interesting little facts in that Wiki article!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

#1 For Ferencváros.

Gyula Grosics never played for Ferencváros during his career. Although he wanted to do so, the Communist regime in Hungary did not allow him to sign for them. Grosics thus ended his career. At the age of 82, he was allowed to sign for the club officially and stand in goal for a few minutes in a friendly against English club Sheffield United before being substituted.

Cool Story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't ever think a shirt should be retired, even after somebody dies, even while wearing it.

I think ultimately, what makes football clubs special is their history. There have been plenty of players who have worn the number 7 shirt at United who could make it worthy of retirement, but ultimately, what makes the shirt so special is the players who have worn it, Best, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo.

It's got a history and an expectation and I like that.

Xavi6 wrote: »

The particularly poignancy of that was Coupet playing for France shortly after, and crying his eyes out during the moments silence. Really got to me.

PHB wrote: »
    I don't ever think a shirt should be retired, even after somebody dies, even while wearing it.

I think ultimately, what makes football clubs special is their history. There have been plenty of players who have worn the number 7 shirt at United who could make it worthy of retirement, but ultimately, what makes the shirt so special is the players who have worn it, Best, Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo.

It's really an American thing though! Way more plausible over there considering numbers run from 0-100 in their main sports!

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's really an American thing though! Way more plausible over there considering numbers run from 0-100 in their main sports!

They run from 0-100 in football as well. Just look at the state of Serie A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Baresi's number 6 at milan is retired im sure.

They run from 0-100 in football as well. Just look at the state of Serie A.
    True,but not as predominantly as in American sports! very unusual too see a huge varity of numbers outside of say Italy and I think the Germans have a habit for it to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I recall Argentina wanted to retire the number 10 shirt at the '98 World Cup but FIFA wouldn't allow it, so Ortega was given it.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I recall Argentina wanted to retire the number 10 shirt at the '98 World Cup but FIFA wouldn't allow it, so Ortega was given it.
    Go on...just admit it....you read the Wiki aticke didn't you?!;)

Go on...just admit it....you read the Wiki aticke didn't you?!;)

I didn't actually. I have a scarily good memory of football from that time as I was growing up. I can tell you in the opening game of that World Cup Brazil beat Scotland 2-1 through an own goal from Tommy Boyd. And Austria scored in all 3 of their games in the 90th minute. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The same happened when Cameroon tried to retire Marc-Vivien FoÃ's shirt - FIFA rules don't allow international teams to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

PHB wrote: »

Completely agree. Juve could have retired the number 1 jersey for Zoff for example but that would have deprived Buffon from ever wearing it. Youngsters look up to these guys. I'm sure little Romans for example all want to wear number 10 after Totti but once they retire that an aspect of the dream is ruined

I didn't actually. I have a scarily good memory of football from that time as I was growing up. I can tell you in the opening game of that World Cup Brazil beat Scotland 2-1 through an own goal from Tommy Boyd. And Austria scored in all 3 of their games in the 90th minute. :D
    That you may have, but you were 4 years to early, Argentina only retired #10 in 2001, and had to bring it back for the 2002 WC!

• Advertisement

Yep I am with the people against it, especially if its a 1-11 number. I mean most strikers dream of being that number 9 for their favourite team, if its retired your fecked.

That you may have, but you were 4 years to early, Argentina only retired #10 in 2001, and had to bring it back for the 2002 WC!

Doh! Well, not that good then. Well at least proves I knew the original fact (I think). ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

Roma retired the number 6 jersey for Aldair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's a mark of respect on one hand... But can get out of hand really. I vaguely remember looking at that Wiki article, and there are some teams have 4-5 numbers retired, I think. That's getting a bit crazy. Heaven forbid the day ever arrives when we see a player running onto the field with ''101'' on their back or something!!!:eek:

Or more like in Futurama with the 5/8's on the baseball jerseys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Rovers retired the number 12 after the 400 club took over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Doctor Zaius

Or more like in Futurama with the 5/8's on the baseball jerseys!

blurnsball ;):p the sport of the future, along with rollerball.

(getting very pedantic there, sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

CiaranC wrote: »
    Rovers retired the number 12 after the 400 club took over

I assume it so the fans are the 12th man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't really think that numbers should be retired but reserved maybe say for instance at spurs the number 4 was worn by Blanchflower that should be reserved, untill someone comes along proves themself to the club then gets the honour of wearing the number four thus the club honours Blanchflower by only allowing the best to wear the #4 and the player is honoured somewhat by wearing #4. It would be especially appealing to those who come through the academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

Bukman13 wrote: »
    #1 For Ferencváros.

Gyula Grosics never played for Ferencváros during his career. Although he wanted to do so, the Communist regime in Hungary did not allow him to sign for them. Grosics thus ended his career. At the age of 82, he was allowed to sign for the club officially and stand in goal for a few minutes in a friendly against English club Sheffield United before being substituted.

Cool Story.
    How did he ever pass a medical at the age of 82?:pac:

anyone remember zamarano wore the numbers 1+8 on his jersey for inter milan. think he had the number 9 but then i think inter gave it to ronaldo when they signed him so zamarano wore 1+8 .....thats just weird!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

here's zamarano wit his 1+8 jerseyhttp://http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SxaXLqz-FPw/RlmOzpjvIvI/AAAAAAAAABU/wtAh4_o-dF0/s200/zamorano.jpg
    if link doesnt work just type in zamarano wearing 1+8 jersey hit images and its on the 1st page

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Completely agree. Juve could have retired the number 1 jersey for Zoff for example but that would have deprived Buffon from ever wearing it.

Doesn't he wear the controversial number 88?

How did he ever pass a medical at the age of 82?:pac:

anyone remember zamarano wore the numbers 1+8 on his jersey for inter milan. think he had the number 9 but then i think inter gave it to ronaldo when they signed him so zamarano wore 1+8 .....thats just weird!!!

Pfft

article-0-026CBB1600000578-509_468x286.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Doesn't he wear the controversial number 88?

Nah, he wore that number the year he emerged and took Bucci's place at Parma and maybe the year after that but I think he realised that he should probably drop the fascist thing. In his defence he was very young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Cork City retired the No.12 jersey a few years ago and dedicated it to the fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gavredking wrote: »
    Baresi's number 6 at milan is retired im sure.

Yup.

There was talk of Costacurta's number 5 being retired too.

Advertisement