Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xenon HID Conversion Kits

• 02-02-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has converted their existing standard headlights for a xenon conversion kit. Has anyone fitted one to a car with auto headlights. Was thinking of fitting them to my car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I fitted them to my Volvo S40 but only because it was a projector headlamp.

If you do not have projector headlamps then don't bother.

Example

PICT0882.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yep. don't bother unless you have projectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

+1. I have them on my car without projector lamps and they really seem to piss people off. They tried to fail me at the nct for the colour as well.

Definitely worth it though if you have projector lamps and it shouldn't matter that they're automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

HID lights require an auto leveling system to be fitted to the car otherwise you will blind oncoming traffic. Aftermarket HID systems are banned in UK and soon will be here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got 600k's fitted to my Passat about 6 weeks back (projector lamps as well) and the difference over the standard bulbs is huge - especially at the side of the road.

As a side note, get matching LEDs for the sidelights (if you have them) as it just won't look right otherwise! :p

I'll have to stick up a pic....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Is there any difference between Hong Kong eBay yokes and third party aftermarket kits sold here or the UK (at 4x HK price)? I presume that unless they're legitimately E-marked or TUV approved then they all came out of the same shed in Kowloon and are of dubious quality compared to the manufacturers version?
    I've seen enough crap out of chinese ebay suppliers to be worried about plugging these kits into any cars with sensitive electronics - can anyone comment on the quality of kits from different suppliers?

By the way OP, I reckon you could make matching LED sidelights for the same price as Hong Kong ones that would be much better...

Or if you have an old Vectra you could skip all the above hassle and just order 100w blue bulbs of eBay, come on, we've all seen em...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I have fitted them to 2x non-projector cars (06 Ford Focus and 98 GS300).

Passed NCT first time....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Kind of OT but do they provide much of an improvement when fitted to non-projector lights? I have factory fitted ones which are great, but whenever I see non-projector ones they appear to directing all of their light directly into my eyeballs, and I can't see that being of much benefit to their driver.

HID Kits invariably all come from Asia even if a UK guy is selling them. I bought mine from a company in the UK but the English was soo bad on the box it had to be from Asia.(Racist :rolleyes:)

When you buy a LED sidelight you must ensure you are buying a multi LED sidelight as opposed to a directional sidelight, i.e one with one LED on the top of it.

Stevenmu. Rear Projected lights provide light by bouncing the light off the mirror which provides the ARC of light. This arc of light cannot be controlled by the rear projector unit because the light is too strong and it gets dispersed all over..........................all over the shop really.

It doesn't just aim at your retina's. It aims everywhere but where you want the light to be concentrated on.

Now, you can actually buy a kit called /R which as an example for H7 bulbs would be H7/R because they are designed for rear projectors but are very expensive. Around €300.

Some cars with rear projector do have HIDs as standard. Old Shape Laguna, Old C Class Mercedes and many more. They use D2S/R bulbs as opposed to the standard D2S bulbs OEM HID Cars have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I have factory fitted Xenons and to be honest I'd like to change back to Halogen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I have factory fitted Xenons and to be honest I'd like to change back to Halogen.
    because....?

cyborg wrote: »
    because....?
    Problems with auto-levellers, cost of replacement bulbs, not the "massive difference" everyone on here claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Problems with auto-levellers, cost of replacement bulbs, not the "massive difference" everyone on here claims.

Have you replaced many bulbs?
    I thought part of the appeal of Xenons was that the bulbs last a looong time thanks to the soft start provided by the ballasts. 8 years on and my car has never needed a headlight bulb and the light is still fantastic IMO.
    Maybe if you're blowing bulbs the problem lies a bit deeper?
    Depending on the car I'd imagine you'd have no trouble finding someone willing to swap their halogens for your lights.

milltown wrote: »
    Have you replaced many bulbs?
    I thought part of the appeal of Xenons was that the bulbs last a looong time thanks to the soft start provided by the ballasts. 8 years on and my car has never needed a headlight bulb and the light is still fantastic IMO.
    Maybe if you're blowing bulbs the problem lies a bit deeper?
    Depending on the car I'd imagine you'd have no trouble finding someone willing to swap their halogens for your lights.
    Well, one bulb in 6 years I guess isn't a lot, but it's the price of many halogens and much more difficult to replace. It's the autolevellers that's really bugging me though, apparently a whole unit needs to be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I've factory fitted ones aswell,no major improvement for me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've got kits from hids4u.co.uk in my starlet and my cruiser. They throw about 3 times more light imo and very white light too with the 6k kit.

That company sell themselves on providing higher quality kits that control the light dispersal. Cruiser has self levelling suspension too.

I haven't had anybody flashing their lights at me and I've also personally driven towards both cars at night and they are fine for the third party.

I'm ordering a set for the 8 next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Don't think there are bulbs at all iirc.

Factory fitted bi-xenon's definitely big improvment over most if not all Hologen. Would say my xenons are better than some of my previous halogen full beams.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you can pick up xenon bulbs for very little if you shop around - here they are from as little as 25 dollars http://www.khoalty.com/Hids.html

I've factory fitted ones aswell,no major improvement for me tbh.

get back into a halogen bulb car and you will notice a difference straight away! what car have you got?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

E39MSport wrote: »
    I've got kits from hids4u.co.uk in my starlet and my cruiser. They throw about 3 times more light imo and very white light too with the 6k kit.

That company sell themselves on providing higher quality kits that control the light dispersal. Cruiser has self levelling suspension too.

I haven't had anybody flashing their lights at me and I've also personally driven towards both cars at night and they are fine for the third party.

I'm ordering a set for the 8 next.

Agree have 6000K Hids for my Ibiza from Hids4u Cant fault them at all Passed NCT too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

• Advertisement

Does your S60 have projector headlamps?

If so maybe. Maybe because Volvo's depending on model have a bulb failure light and unless this has a CANBUS system then you will get a bulb failure light.

If you do not have a bulb failure light like my S40 then it looks like good value.

I reccomend the 4300K(same as factory fitted) or 5000K for a brilliant light with a good colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭laurpat

Berty wrote: »
    Does your S60 have projector headlamps?

If so maybe. Maybe because Volvo's depending on model have a bulb failure light and unless this has a CANBUS system then you will get a bulb failure light.

I don't have projector Headlamps. Must find out if it has the failure light . IT's a 01 s60 SE model...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

smcgiff wrote: »
    Don't think there are bulbs at all iirc.

Factory fitted bi-xenon's definitely big improvment over most if not all Hologen. Would say my xenons are better than some of my previous halogen full beams.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E46/Coupe/Europe/320Ci-M54/RHD/N/2002/september/browse/lighting/indiv_headlight_parts_xenon_headlight/

Item #7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I was in an 09 Golf in rural Waterford last weekend that had been retro fitted with Xenon Bulbs. Couldn't get over the amount of light on the road.

laurpat wrote: »
    I don't have projector Headlamps. Must find out if it has the failure light . IT's a 01 s60 SE model...

I wouldn't bother. You will only make your car look cheap and you will not get a light improvement.

Invest in some Philips or Osrams and you will do a lot better.

I wouldn't bother. You will only make your car look cheap and you will not get a light improvement.

I agree with Berty on the non-projector lights. You can tell a bad HID retrofit into non projector housings a mile off.
    Osram Nightbreakers are good. Just noticed one of mine is blown this morning, feck it anyway...

Why not?

HID's (4300K @ 3,100 lumens) give out 3 times the light output of a halogen (55W has approx 1,100 lumens)

Approx: 80% of energy from a hologen bulb is converted to heat, 20% light

Aprox: 80% of energy from a 35W HID is converted to LIGHT, 20% heat

Get 4300K, Much better IMO than the 6000K as its more of a daylight white which is what your eyes are used to, not the 6000K 'Ice' white that I call it.

4300K is the closest colour to Halogen white (which is 3000K)

Edit:

For those considering HID kits:

The K number is NOT the brightness. This K number is the colour, the higher the colour the LOWER the lumens. 4300K has the highest lumens per watt

mullingar wrote: »
    Why not?

Because without a projector the light usually just splashes out all over the place judging by the dodgy ones I've seen...
    So even with extra light energy you're still only seeing the same amount where you need it, and someone is likely to take a crowbar to your headlamps for all the wasted light you've been dazzling them with....

langdang wrote: »
    ... judging by the dodgy ones I've seen...

Agreed. But a good kit, installed correctly is a winner even in a non-projector light the road
    still only seeing the same amount where you need it

But you see the road twice as brightly and at least 1.5 times further down the road

• Advertisement

Agreed. But a good kit, installed correctly is a winner even in a non-projector light the road

But you see the road twice as brightly and at least 1.5 times further down the road

it doesnt matter what the quality of the kit is imo, if you retro fit HID's into a reflector type light, then it :
    1. looks crap
    2. doesnt give out as much light as the standard halogens
    3. should fail the NCT imo

Dunno, I'm prepared to believe that if the hotspot of the HID is put exactly where the hotspot of a HI or H7 bulb should be then it would be OK. But the quality out of ebay/deal extreme suppliers probably just ain't up the tolerances needed. Also, some car models seem to have better reflectors than others. Doubt that a HID version of a H4 bulb is do-able to any decent standard!

I've seen a lot of bad jobs where it was obvious they were not projector beams, have never inspected good jobs to see if they were aftermarket or original!

gumbo wrote: »
    it doesnt matter what the quality of the kit is imo, if you retro fit HID's into a reflector type light, then it :
    1. looks crap
    2. doesnt give out as much light as the standard halogens
    3. should fail the NCT imo

1. ANYTHING higher than 7000k does look crap. Have you seen the 4300K?

2. That has to be the most incorrect statement I have ever heard.
    Have you made a comparison??? If you did you would never make that statement.
    Over the weekend go out there and make the comparison. If you still think HID's give less light than Halogen, its time to see an optician.

3. Anything that is misaligned does fail the NCT. Too much scattering should fail, but a good HID kit reduces this

Drove in front of my starlet last night again with the hids4u 6000k H4's and there was NO GLARE WHASOEVER. I have no dimming in my mirrors and I could look directly at the headlights. I've also driven towards it and had the same experience (minus mirrors ;-)

So, my real findings, not based on personal likes/dislikes are that high quality correctly fitted HID kits (6000k in this case)
    - Throw out much more useable light
    - are not problematic in any way for other road users

I'm very happy with mine and can recommend that particular vendor highly.

Regards,

A good kit bought correctly I think you will find.

See my previous post about the /R about HID bulbs. You need a (using H7 as example) H7/R if you are going to put it in a reflector unit.

Hard to find because most sellers don't give rat's what they sell you.

A good kit bought correctly I think you will find.

See my previous post about the /R about HID bulbs. You need a (using H7 as example) H7/R if you are going to put it in a reflector unit.

Hard to find because most sellers don't give rat's what they sell you.

Says who?

• Advertisement

Says who?

He live's inside your car and he is called COMMON SENSE!

1. ANYTHING higher than 7000k does look crap. Have you seen the 4300K?

2. That has to be the most incorrect statement I have ever heard.
    Have you made a comparison??? If you did you would never make that statement.
    Over the weekend go out there and make the comparison. If you still think HID's give less light than Halogen, its time to see an optician.

3. Anything that is misaligned does fail the NCT. Too much scattering should fail, but a good HID kit reduces this

1. yes, ive had every single colour temp in my cars over the years ranging from 4300k to 12000k, yes 12000k in my Evo 5 for a short period as i got the kit for little or nothing at the time.

2. i think if you read my comment correctly you will find that i stated that hids in reflector type lights emit less light than the standard light did in the first place! i think the dog on the street at this stage would know that xenon is better than halogen at this stage, please read my post correctly before ranting about it ;)

3. im not saying that retro hids should fail the NCT, only retro fitted hids that acatter the light badly in reflector type housings so about 75% of retro fits out there!

He live's inside your car and he is called COMMON SENSE!

Is that the same common sense that forces people into another lane on motorway roundabouts?

I'll stick to my own version thanks.

Rest assured you won't be blinded by my nonsensical lights.

EDIT: to avoid confusion, the first sentence is a ref to another live topic re: flashing lights.

Is that the same common sense that forces people into another lane on motorway roundabouts?

I'll stick to my own version thanks.

Rest assured you won't be blinded by my nonsensical lights.

i think there are a few headlight designs out there that work well with HIDS, lets not forget that HIDs are standard in subaru Legacy B4's and similar, and they have reflector type headlights, also HIDS are standard on DC5 Integra Type R's with reflector headlights and also JDM EP3 Civic Type r's again with reflector type headlights, but these have little metal clips on the bulbs to stop the glare which works very well.

EDIT: to avoid confusion, the first sentence is a ref to another live topic re: flashing lights.

What's a Motorway roundabout?

• Advertisement

gumbo wrote: »
    i think there are a few headlight designs out there that work well with HIDS, lets not forget that HIDs are standard in subaru Legacy B4's and similar,

Laguna Estate, Pre 2008 Mercedes etc

They are called D2S/R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

here is a good example of xenon kits fitted to non-xenon headlamps
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html

here is a good example of xenon kits fitted to non-xenon headlamps
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html

I used to laugh watching that.

£550 for HID Lights.

&

Highly irresponsible for somebody taking a car, knowingly, with illegal headlights out on the road to make a clip for their website. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

It's very hard to love them if you've spent any length of time driving in front of a big new Range Rover, or a boy racer with xenons in his 95 Honda at night.
    Some claim that the blue tint gives better light but in reality
    (a) the short wavelength of blue light makes it more prone to scatter and
    (b) our eyes adjust more slowly to short wavelengths of light meaning that a 'blue' light dazzles more quickly and takes longer to recover from than a light from the red end of the spectrum.
    This is why it's important that the optics of the headlamp be designed to deal with the different size and shape of the light source of a xenon bulb. A xenon bulb retrofitted into an incandescent-reflector-based headlamp is not currently capable of producing a correctly formed dipped beam pattern - why else would the headlamp manufacturers bother with those bulky complex lense assemblies? Done properly they can be ok, but those half baked xenon upgrades are just a pain for other drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's something from a website http://www.xenonoptics.com/faq3.php that claims that you can't just put D2R bulbs in any old reflector housing, it has to be a reflector housing designed specifically around those bulbs ...
    What is the difference between D2R and D2S?

The main difference is the U-shaped masking on the D2R that blocks out unpredictable light in certain directions. Also, the base has different notches. Name of base is P32-d2 for D2S and P32-d3 for D2R. D2R was developed so that Mercedes could still use their reflector based headlights in the mid 1990s. They did not want use projectors like BMW. A glare box inside the headlight could have been used to accomplish a straight line, but a mask painted on the bulb was cheaper to make and had better precision. Other (near) luxury cars (Lexus, Infinity and Acura) followed Mercedes and equipped their cars with D2R bulbs in reflector based headlamps. Using a D2R in anything else than a OEM HID headlight designed for the D2R bulb makes no sense. It will only reduce output. Some HID kits comes with D2R bulbs. Some amateur kit designers will even claim that D2R genrally reduces glare in a retrofit. This is nonsense. The D2R bulb masking is around 3-4 a'clock and 8-9 o'clock when bulb is in right position. Those are not the (only) sectors that creates glare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

Just installed a set of HID's over the weekend and what a difference it has made... Why is it not compulsory for all manufactures to install such lights? It's so much better especially on Irish roads with the Irish weather… The kit cost little more than a set of hi performance bulbs...

Next step is to put a set in Mrs poreilly101’s car….

More info please!
    H7 reflectors? H7 projector or something else?
    Colour "temp" of bulbs eg 4300K?
    Where did you purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

More info please!
    H7 reflectors? H7 projector or something else?
    Colour "temp" of bulbs eg 4300K?
    Where did you purchase?

They are H7 projector so I did not have to go and get the H7/R . (tell me i'm not blinding have of ireland with the standard H7)

I wanted to get bulbs with a temp of 4300K but the seller only had 6000k at the time i was in contact. Must say the 6000k look good with the car as it is a dark grey colour car. They would not look good in a non projector headlight

Purchased - http://cgi.ebay.ie/HID-Xenon-Convers...item414cab2a52
    (I did not make the purchase through E bay. I met the seller directly and purchased for less)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Here's some pics of the 6000k H7 kit I had fitted to my Passat 2 months back..

The light from both the new LED sidelights and dipped beam is a lot whiter and brighter - big improvement from the standard setup.

poreilly101.

Here is mine which is Titanium Grey Pearl

Obviously the light does not look great when it come's out on camera but much better than a yellow Halogen.

PICT0879.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement