Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wire out through tyre

• 02-02-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Ok so I just thought I'd let people know about this. We recently got 2 new tyres on the back of a 07 Renault Master. Just before Christmas one of the tyres went into a bulge and eventually burst the wire out through. Thought it a little unusual but today the tyre on the other side did the same thing and put the wire out through. Had to get a callout done to get it repaired and a new tyre plus fitting and a callout was €160, quite steep if you ask me.
    The brand of the two tyres was Macmilian (not sure if that's spelled correctly). Has anyone else bad experiences with these tyres ?? We've 2 on the front as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Are they the correct rating and size? Does the van carry a heavy or light load? What kind of roads and conditons is it driven in? All of these can have bearings on tyre wear, but I'd imagine its down to the weight the vehicle is carrying.

On another note I've never heard of that brand, and I deal with alot of tyre replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would take the 2 off the front asap. Maybe you didnt get the reinforced tyres as specified for the commercial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

The last set that were on it were Continentals which were brilliant, never gave a spot of bother. I have a feeling the garage put on the cheapest set they could.
    I'm not sure if they were reinforced or anything but surely the person fitting them would check this. The van does carry a heavy load but we haven't had any issues with any other tyres on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd say they're the wrong spec tyre for the van so.

When you say the garage put the cheapest ones on, what do you mean? Is the van on a maintenance contract with someone?

I'd say they're the wrong spec tyre for the van so.

When you say the garage put the cheapest ones on, what do you mean? Is the van on a maintenance contract with someone?
    Nope, it was left in for a routine service and two tyres were put on the back as they were needed. Also got 2 new wiper blades which cost a nice €70 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

check the load index on the tyres

in case of a van it should be over 100
    Scants%20tyre.gif
    reinforced tyres usually have two ratings eg 102/104 for single or double use

peasant wrote: »
    check the load index on the tyres

in case of a van it should be over 100
    Scants%20tyre.gif
    reinforced tyres usually have two ratings eg 102/104 for single or double use
    Thanks for that peasant, will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is there any chance that the tyre was damaged - kerbed, pothole, etc????

A decent impact can duck-egg the tyre. There are plenty of crater sized potholes about since the recent freezing weather.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Is there any chance that the tyre was damaged - kerbed, pothole, etc????

A decent impact can duck-egg the tyre.
    Not that I know of, both went the same way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Nope, it was left in for a routine service and two tyres were put on the back as they were needed. Also got 2 new wiper blades which cost a nice €70 :(
    The wipers were €70?:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

500sel wrote: »
    The wipers were €70?:eek::eek::eek:
    No, even worse, the wiper blades were €70. Apparently they're really dear because the windscreen washer comes out through the wipers themselves instead of the usual jets that are mounted on the bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I would bring the tyres back to the garage and make them aware of the problem.
    Its unlikely they will continue to fit them to other vehicles if they see what happened to yours.

Are the tyres inflated to the recommended pressure? Sorry if that seems a bit obvious but I've seen tyres die this way due to underinflation.

Advertisement