Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

disk read error occurred

• 02-02-2010 11:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

was just using my computer and it hung so i turned it off and on. Now it says disk read error occurred. when i control alt delete it restarts and mostly goes back to the disk read error thing but one time windows loaded and I could get on. Then it hung again. Then after 20 mins trying I'm back on and it seems to be working..if I turn it off it may happen again...just wondering if anybody knows what is going on there? Google says it has got to do with reinstalling windows or something....at a quick glance..I haven't..gonna have a look some more now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sounds like your hard-drive is dead or dieing. Just to be sure though, is there any usb keys or external hard-drives plugged in? Just checking its not trying to boot of another hard-drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Back-up anything vital RIGHT NOW!!!
    Your hard-drive could be failing badly.

Once you've done that...

How old is the drive?
    What operation system is on it?
    Had any powercuts or ESB problems lately?
    Are you protected by a powersurge socket (€20+) ?
    Install/uninstall anything lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭1united

was just using my computer and it hung so i turned it off and on. Now it says disk read error occurred. when i control alt delete it restarts and mostly goes back to the disk read error thing but one time windows loaded and I could get on. Then it hung again. Then after 20 mins trying I'm back on and it seems to be working..if I turn it off it may happen again...just wondering if anybody knows what is going on there? Google says it has got to do with reinstalling windows or something....at a quick glance..I haven't..gonna have a look some more now.
    Biggins wrote: »
    Back-up anything vital RIGHT NOW!!!
    Your hard-drive could be failing badly.

Once you've done that...

How old is the drive?
    What operation system is on it?
    Had any powercuts or ESB problems lately?
    Are you protected by a powersurge socket (€20+) ?
    Install/uninstall anything lately?

I am having the same problem as the OP, just keeps returning to Disk Reading Error report after Ctrl-Alt-Del, how do I back up or retrieve any data from laptop if I can't get into Windows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Use a linux live cd. It will boot into linux off the cd and then you can access the windows partition

Advertisement