Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sash Windows: Marvin or Kells - Experience

• 03-02-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

We are looking at replacing (re-instating) 6 sash windows in a victorian redbrick and are down to 2 suppliers: Marvin Architectural and Kells Windows.

The Kells units are weighted whereas the Marvin are sprung. General exterior finish is very similar (can be matched to the house originals). I think the overall insulation values for the Marvin units will be slightly better. Does anyone here have experience of their sash products and comparability. Also any concerns?

C.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

colinryan wrote: »
    Hi

We are looking at replacing (re-instating) 6 sash windows in a victorian redbrick and are down to 2 suppliers: Marvin Architectural and Kells Windows.

The Kells units are weighted whereas the Marvin are sprung. General exterior finish is very similar (can be matched to the house originals). I think the overall insulation values for the Marvin units will be slightly better. Does anyone here have experience of their sash products and comparability. Also any concerns?

C.

Marvin are a very very good contractor, they have worked on a few OPW restoration jobs and constistantly win more work based on quality. I would have no hesitation on recommending them anyway. Im unaware of kells Windows, i havent worked with them on any jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colinryan

Thanks - just for context; Kells do a huge amount of OPW work too - have done for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

marvin have huge problems in my experience and very bad after care!! i have worked on a few sites where marvin were used two or three i know of french doors and windows are drawing water into the bulidings, the seals are failing and the frames are going mouldy.there are actually two threads somewhere on boards about all the problems with them.for the price you pay you dont get your moneys worth. if the op wants to hear the particular horror story that would put me off pm me as i wont publically post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colinryan

Thanks for this. I have heard more stories of problems with new builds versus replacement units - would this be true.
    I'd equally like to hear some good stories re Marvin (balance etc.)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Blackee

Hi

did you make the decision on the windows yet? am in similar boat - have a quote from local company and another from the north (sameish cost region) Has anyone sourced same from mainland uk? am wondering if there is a bit of a cartel on this island!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jas b

I saw those threads that cork2 was talking about some time ago. Apparantly they have guys going around the country just replacing windows that have gone black mouldy ! I was also talking to a girl from kildare that was recently made redundant from them. It doesnt sound good to me, especially the cost they charge for their windows. I think i will go with a traditional joiner when i start building next year.By the way does anyone have plans of a traditional style country home, georgian style i mean, door in the middle with a sash window either side and three sash windows above?I want to build this style, but would like to see someone elses plans for ideas? cheers,

Advertisement