Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sending images out

• 03-02-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Doing some sports photography and sending images to papers etc,need advice on editing software i.e ps or lightroom.As im going to be buying a laptop as well(current one too slow) to use at games for sending images out any suggestions thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

nann wrote: »
    Doing some sports photography and sending images to papers etc,need advice on editing software i.e ps or lightroom.As im going to be buying a laptop as well(current one too slow) to use at games for sending images out any suggestions thx

all photographers in sports use :-
    Photoshop
    Photo Mechanic -- for captions, and FTP images to the meida-
    lightroom - i never used....

Photo Mechanic - is a god for sports photographers, you can store captions, and use code for players names.

FTP is the only way to send images, email is too slow.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

Any time I have had to send out images from the sideline I first import from the card using Photo Mechanic. This will automatically pre caption all the images with a file I would have created before the game.
    I select the useable images quickly and then final caption them with players names etc. As mentioned above, PM uses code replacement so once you have all the players and numbers pre-entered before the game, you can caption in seconds using replacement code.
    Once captions are completed, I crop each image as required. All the selected images are then opened in Photoshop using a droplet. In Photoshop they get run through auto levels (not really needed if exposures are ok), sharpened and then resized so the files are approk 1MB. They are then output to an upload folder where they are automatically ftp'd out.
    The only bit above that i have to do manually is the captioning and cropping. The rest of it is automated. It might be a little slow and cumbersome but it works for me.

However, both Photoshop and Photo Mechanic are expensive. You can do all of the above with Lightroom but manually only and it takes forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

thx for all the responses have downloaded a trial of photo mechanic and will test it out today at an athletics meet:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Photoshop Elements is all you need for Press Images, It will do everything you need inc. Captions, Levels, Sharpening etc and is less than €90. It's also quicker to load and needs less computer resources so may work fine on your existing laptop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ciaranmc

Hey

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about setting up and using FTP for sending out pictures, i am using a mac by the way.

I would appreciate any help on this

Cheers
    Ciaran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

ciaranmc wrote: »
    Hey

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about setting up and using FTP for sending out pictures, i am using a mac by the way.

I would appreciate any help on this

Cheers
    Ciaran

Cyberduck is a free app, Transmit is $30, but they both work well. Setting up and sending depends on where it's going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ciaranmc

Cheers

Could you please explain how this works? If i send images to regular organizations do i ask them for their details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

ciaranmc wrote: »
    Cheers

Could you please explain how this works? If i send images to regular organizations do i ask them for their details?

Afraid I have no idea about that side of thing -I use FTP for web development, not photography! Presumably, any organisation that wants your photos would furnish you with the FTP details that were required

Advertisement