Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap rack from IKEA

• 03-02-2010 12:48am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack

I have one of these tables in the kids playroom and just brought it up to the office and can confirm that rack mount switches fit like a charm. It's a very solid little table and the legs seem to be made from the usual compressed IKEA type chip/MDF and are very strong.

Just though I would pass it on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Just a safety note. Personally I wouldnt mount switches that close to timber. Switches can run very hot. It might be far fetched but thats why we're not allowed install timber racks in comes rooms!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Would be useful for a switch or two (which don't run hot) in a home office, but saying that I've never come across a 1U swtich running hot enough to cause combustion :) Wouldn't be too interested in mounting a server in one though, couldn't see them taking the weight of a full ladened 2U Dell or a 8U+ RAID storage box :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hey Kerbdog,

Ive come across many faulty 1u switches that over heat. Remember anything with an internal PSU has the risk of crapping out.. My original point was electronics and all that jazz and timber are not an ideal thing..

Ive had 220v step down to 12v units that have scortched walls and nearly went on fire.. So trust me you cant take safety for granted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

FusionNet wrote: »
    Hey Kerbdog,

Ive come across many faulty 1u switches that over heat. Remember anything with an internal PSU has the risk of crapping out.. My original point was electronics and all that jazz and timber are not an ideal thing..

Ive had 220v step down to 12v units that have scortched walls and nearly went on fire.. So trust me you cant take safety for granted...

True, wonder what fire rating Ikea has for those tables...
    No mention of any rating on their site but for anyone whos interested in them: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?query=LACK+side+table (first few rows)

Advertisement