Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school of english / student visa

• 03-02-2010 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a question for people studying english in schools in Ireland.
    I come from eastern europe and plan to learn english in Dublin.I found out that to get a student visa for 1 year i need to pay for 1 year course.This is fine for me, but another requirement to get a visa is to have immediate access to 7000 euro for living :eek:
    This is way too much for me, especially when student visa allows you to work part-time.
    Is immigration office actually asking for this when applying for visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

The reason that you have to prove that you have immediate access to €7000 is that you must show you have sufficient funds to support your stay in Ireland without recourse to public funds, or the reliance on casual employment. A student visa is issued for the express purpose of study and not to take up employment, if you are unable to support yourself and your studies you will not be issued a visa.

A student visa does not automatically confer the right to take up any form of employment only students attending a full time course of education of at least one year’s duration leading to qualifications recognised by the Minister for Education and Science will be permitted to take up casual employment. It is unlikely than an English language course would fall into this category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 j26d

Thank you vikingdub for your answer.
    Some English language courses (over 15 hours / week) are approved by the Department of Education and Science and entitle students to work part-time to support themselves.
    I understand that primary reason for studying is to learn language and not to take up employment but i can't believe all this students coming to Ireland from eastern europe or especially asia have such a big amount of money.So i was wondering whether there's a chance of getting away without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

j26d wrote: »
    Thank you vikingdub for your answer.
    Some English language courses (over 15 hours / week) are approved by the Department of Education and Science and entitle students to work part-time to support themselves.
    I understand that primary reason for studying is to learn language and not to take up employment but i can't believe all this students coming to Ireland from eastern europe or especially asia have such a big amount of money.So i was wondering whether there's a chance of getting away without it.

The fact is that it is a requirement of the visa that you are in a position to support your self. It is quite clearly stated in the application, you must be able to support yourself without relying on part time employment. What happens if you can't get a job? Who will support you then? The State? The student visa system has been widely abused which has led to the restriction of permission to take up employment being granted to student visa holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

anyone have any reliable info on course books etc. for teaching english to Italians?
    I am interested in course materials for intensive stuff that works, not cambridge method or standard TEFL.
    Thanks

Advertisement