Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP- thinking of moving to Newbridge

Options
  • 02-02-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking about buying a house in Roseberry Hill and are wondering if anyone can tell us about the area, both good and bad. We live in Dublin and have 2 small children and want to get out before they start school. I told a friend today and she said Newbridge is a kip, there is lots of crime in the area and she wouldnt feel safe there, especially on a night out after the pubs have closed.

Has anyone had any bad experiences? Houses been burgled? Attacked walking home from the train at night? Anything you could tell us would be good.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

I've lived in Newbridge not far off 10 year now and I've never had any problems. I live on the other side of the town, out the Athgarvan Road a bit. I've never found it rough in the pubs or the streets afterwards.
    It has a lot going for it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Have you checked out Kilbelin Abbey ?

As stated in an earlier thread I had put a deposit on RH but ended up moving here .

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=494795

We paid €500,000 for ours but had the attic done for that and a lot of electrical extras. This is our first home and we plan on settling here so the negative equity does not come into the equation for us.

I think for what we got would set you back €430,000 now , although I could easily see you picking up one of the A/B/c style homes without the attic conversion for 350-380,000.

The builder is very nice and looks after any problems quite promptly .

The only issue I have had is with some little pup leaving the gate beside the cattle grid down in the curragh open , but you cant do much about that !

There are creches in Walshestown and just down the road (within a 5 minute walk)

Hope this helps and best of luck where ever you buy .

Hope this helps,

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

After moving to Newbridge over 10 years ago it would be hard to move elsewhere now - also having two young children. Roseberry Hill is very nice - I used to be in it every weekday (morning and evening) collecting my children from the creche located in it. A new school is being built just beside the estate which would be an added bonus to anyone with kids living there. There is also a local gaa club just across the road if your kids are interested.

On other hand, the poster that mentioned the other side of town - in Kilbelin Abbey is very nice also. Walshestown Park is located there as well as Belmont Green, I believe. All are relatively new in the last few years and well kept.

The town is great - lots of pubs, restaurants and shops. The Whitewater was such a great addition to the town and just recently the cinema. I have really heard of no major crime or problems late at night. Of course, over the years I've heard of a break in here or there, but no more than elsewhere.

That said I've heard lots of people prefer Naas over Newbridge, but I cannot see why and rarely venture there. I think it's a matter of where you move and settle.

Out of curiousity, you mentioned your friend said Newbridge is a kip - where does she live?

Only you can decide, so you're right to look into it. Advise you to visit several times at different times/days, go to the schools/creches you'll need, etc. Good luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm grew up in Newbridge (29 years old now) and I think its a lovely town. Granted I haven't lived there for about 4 years but am always down there shopping\drinking\etc and have never had any problems. I'm hoping to move my wife and baby daughter back there in the coming months to settle but will rent for the first while to be sure they settle in ok.

Roseberry Hill is a nice estate although a lot of the houses around the centra\spar are rented as far as I know. My friend bought in that part of the estate and although no real trouble, its still nice to live where the people around you own their house too. Roseberry in general is a nice area, thats where I'm from. Its just out of the town enough to be classed as "country" but only really 20 minute walk into town.

Walshestown\Kilbelin Abbey are really nice houses but expensive but like the other poster said, if you are going to stay there then it doesnt matter

• Advertisement
Advertisement