Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission : One off house

Options
  • 03-02-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

A friend asked me tonight would I do a full planning application for a one off house in Kilkenny for his brother.
    He asked me what would I charge, and I don't have a clue what the going rate is down this direction....
    He then offered me the job if I would do it for €500 cash!
    I said I wouldn't even turn on the computer for that. Seriously, I know times are hard, but it's not worth my bother to go visit site, get maps, meet clients endless amounts of time, redraw etc etc etc for €500.
    I could do with a few bob, but it's not worth all the hassle for so little bob!
    /rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I wouldn't even do a garage for that!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Never turn down work but.....you need a justifiable fee though.

Meet him half way insofar as you will accept the work and he will have to accept your fee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Jasus, easy to tell yous havent had to work in the fast food industry yet:rolleyes:. At this stage I'd nearly pay somebody 500 quid to DO their planning application for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

muffler wrote: »
    Never turn down work but.....you need a justifiable fee though.

Meet him half way insofar as you will accept the work and he will have to accept your fee ;)

I've already sent the word back that I'd have no bother doing the work for the going rate, but my work is not comparable to the local jumped draughtsman type sh1te that masquerades as drawings.
    I also said that it would be worthwhile meeting and discussing what's actually needed in a modern house these days in regards to renewables, airtightness, Part M etc etc etc.
    The guy is a blocklayer, and like 90% of construction tradespeople in this country, wouldn't know a building regulation if it whacked him over the he4ad with a hammer.
    you know the usual, ah, we don't need to worry about level access, we don't need to worry about renewables, BER ratings etc etc.

That's why €500 is an insult:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gman2k wrote: »
    I've already sent the word back that I'd have no bother doing the work for the going rate, but my work is not comparable to the local jumped draughtsman type sh1te that masquerades as drawings.
    I also said that it would be worthwhile meeting and discussing what's actually needed in a modern house these days in regards to renewables, airtightness, Part M etc etc etc.
    The guy is a blocklayer, and like 90% of construction tradespeople in this country, wouldn't know a building regulation if it whacked him over the he4ad with a hammer.
    you know the usual, ah, we don't need to worry about level access, we don't need to worry about renewables, BER ratings etc etc.

That's why €500 is an insult:mad:
    No need for comments like that about draughtsmen. Its both demeaning and completely off topic.

The other highlighted area is merely a rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

muffler wrote: »
    No need for comments like that about draughtsmen. Its both demeaning and completely off topic.

Apologies to all, no offence intended, but certainly was given :o
    I reckon all of us here can be called draughtsmen too (apologies ladies)

It's just that the local lads down this way are ex-draughtsmen (with no connection to the construction industry) and having looked over their 'drawings' in planning files, it is shocking beyond belief how Local Authorities accept such muck coming across their desks.
    I've also spoken to local tradesmen who've then had to build houses based on these 'drawings' and nightmares ensue.

The problem is that these guys have been pumping out these planning applications, and the average Joe on the Street thinks that they are some kind of God, with inside knowledge of the planning and construction game, and of course the opposite is the truth.

Advertisement