Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two year old swearing

Options
  • 03-02-2010 1:07am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, I know it's my fault. Hearing it once is enough for them to pick it up and they don't forget in a hurry... the fact of the matter is that young monsieur has taken a fancy to swearing of late.

He first apprised us of his recent linguistic acquisition at passport control in Stansted airport when he was asked to stand still and responded by shouting **** off! **** off! **** off! at the top of his voice before sprinting past the guard, across the tarmac and onto the plane. A cherished moment :o

He's particularly fond of addressing the cats in this manner but is not averse to letting fly a volley of abuse at us when told to do something in any kind of a raised voice. Yesterday he hit me with a combo 'shut up, **** off!' Charming.

I fear that taking him to task about it will only have the reverse effect in that he'll realise his own power to shock and abuse it. I also don't want to completely ignore it or be a hypocrite - we've explained in clear terms that these words are best not used at which he nodded and smiled sweetly.

Any tips? I'm not naive enough to think he's never going to curse, but I'd prefer he learned a bit of tact and diplomacy with regards to swear words.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Maybe try changing the word to something else.
    When my son was that age "sh1t" was the offending word and he knew well to use it
    so we switched it out for 'bother' but it meant not saying sh1t in front of him for months so he forgot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Usually ignoring it works. Just ignore him when he says it and do not laugh. If he gets a reaction either negative or postitive then he'll play on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Maybe try changing the word to something else.
    When my son was that age "sh1t" was the offending word and he knew well to use it
    so we switched it out for 'bother' but it meant not saying sh1t in front of him for months so he forgot it.

We are doing the same thing at the moment so everything is "Flip" and "Sugar" it seems to be working but you cant always control what is said in front of them by other people for example Auntie has a habbit of saying the B word i her presence although she doesnt mean to. If she says it we tell the little one its a bold word and pretend to give her Auntie a slap on the hand. Seems to be working.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We are doing the same thing at the moment so everything is "Flip" and "Sugar" it seems to be working but you cant always control what is said in front of them by other people for example Auntie has a habbit of saying the B word i her presence although she doesnt mean to. If she says it we tell the little one its a bold word and pretend to give her Auntie a slap on the hand. Seems to be working.

Does he not take it upon himself to punish everyone else who uses the word? I can just see my lad laying into a bunch of students swearing outside on the street!

We've been trying the 'flip', 'sugar' style replacement, with no luck so far but I suppose if he comes to the conclusion that these words are 'better' then he might switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I had that happen with mine the giving out to adults for using bold words.
    We've had adults say sorry but we had to teach them to come and tell us about it rather
    then them admonishing adults, they will still give stern looks if someone is particularly colourful.

Having to explain such words is always fun, had to explain douche and douch nozzle last week,
    they had heard it on the way home from school :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I knew a girl who had the some problem and every time he said fcuk she gave him a fork. After a while she just asked him if he wanted a fork rather than get one.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Having to explain such words is always fun, had to explain douche and douch nozzle last week,
    they had heard it on the way home from school :rolleyes:

Fortunately that's just the thing in the bathroom we take showers with in our house :D

I tried 'misunderstanding' him as saying 'fork' and 'cough' but he just said it louder as though I was some kind of cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Fortunately that's just the thing in the bathroom we take showers with in our house :D

I tried 'misunderstanding' him as saying 'fork' and 'cough' but he just said it louder as though I was some kind of cretin.

He is onto you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Does he not take it upon himself to punish everyone else who uses the word? I can just see my lad laying into a bunch of students swearing outside on the street!QUOTE]

Fair point I must remember that before I get a phone call saying she is trying to beat some child for saying a bold word!!:rolleyes:
    She hasnt done anything like that yet thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

had the same problem, now im going around saying sugar and for gods sake, and they seem to have forgotten the bad words but it takes getting used to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Have ye noticed that when they swear in public they do it in a tone that carries so everyone hears :rolleyes:

deisemum wrote: »
    Have ye noticed that when they swear in public they do it in a tone that carries so everyone hears :rolleyes:

Oh yes, and the enunciation is crystal clear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OH this thread reminds me so much of my then 3 yr old daughter who had just learned to use a knife and fork (kiddie ones).
    We went to my aunt's house for dinner one day where where she was given a spoon to eat with. With that, she then proceeded to shout out very loudly 'wheres my fork n knife' (say it out loud).

Advertisement