Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparks, Chippies & Plumbers heading to College as mature students

Options
  • 03-02-2010 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Three of my mates have applied to go to college this year as mature students.

-One Electrician wants to head back to do Electronic Engineering,
    -Another Electrician wants to head back doing Automation & Control Engineering.
    -And another a Carpenter is going to go do a Business course hopefully.

With all the recent CAO applications Im wondering if there are a lot of lads and lassies out there with trades (finished their apprenticeships or not) heading back to college and throwing in the towel altogether on the ol construction industry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

lee_ wrote: »
    Three of my mates have applied to go to college this year as mature students.

-One Electrician wants to head back to do Electronic Engineering,
    -Another Electrician wants to head back doing Automation & Control Engineering.
    -And another a Carpenter is going to go do a Business course hopefully.

With all the recent CAO applications Im wondering if there are a lot of lads and lassies out there with trades (finished their apprenticeships or not) heading back to college and throwing in the towel altogether on the ol construction industry?

There was a conversation on RTE Radio 1 yesterday morning about a lack of young people taking up apprenticeships now because of the recession. Sure the construction industry took the biggest hit in jobs losses out of all professions during the recession. I have family in that business and they have said an awful lot of foreign workers in the trade have left due to the recession but also Irish people aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

I'm in that boat, plumber looking into electronic engineering/renewable courses, just waiting to hear back. Got good news from Athlone regarding mechanical and renewable last week but its not my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

Hi, Can you tell me how to go about applying for the courses in athlone?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rik1234

ye me 2

i was at alarms and electrical, got let go last june and started some classes in januery, had my interview for uni last week went excellent,off to do finance and accounting gettin as far away from my van and toolbox as possible i cant wait for sept ....30 now and whole new life startin for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

lee_ wrote: »

Would it not be more appropriate to say that they are throwing in the trowel on the ol construction industry ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

stek wrote: »
    Hi, Can you tell me how to go about applying for the courses in athlone?
    Thanks.

Hey Stek, the closing date for applications to go to college as a mature student was in Feb I think, but don't let that put you off. If your on the dole now why not think about doing a plc course this Sept. (not sure on the application procedure), if your leaving is not that good or non existant than this sort of course could be the difference between getting into your preferred college course next year or not.
    I made my apllication in Feb directly to the CAO website as a mature applicant. Had to send in copies of all exam results, qualifacations and training certificates etc. aswell as a cover letter explaining your desire, and suiteability fotr the courses selected.
    Looks at the moment like I'll be heading for Dundalk rather than Athlone. Heres hoping anyway.

Advertisement