Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused to heat Baby Food!

Options
  • 03-02-2010 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has had any similar issues. My wife was in BB's coffee and muffin cafe in Mahon Point in Cork last weekend. She had coffe and food with her mother and aunt in the morning time and then returned again in the afternoon for more coffees as out 10 month old son was due a feed. When my Wife asked the waitress to heat the babies food she just replied "We don't heat baby food in here", turned on her heels and walked away.

Naturally we rang their head office to complain the following Monday. I said that if babies were not welcome then there should be a sign stating this. I find it incredible to think that they would refuse to heat or give out a pot of water to heat a babies dinner. A representative from the company rang me today to say that it is a policy of theirs not to allow the heating of baby food on their premises? This is astonishing considering that a huge volume of their customers would be mothers and babies? He said that it was against their health and safety policy? Were they going to heat it up to an unbearable temperature and force it down his throat?

Interested to find out if anyone else has come across this? Is there any ligislation that anyone knows about which does not permit restaurants to heat food for babies? We eat out several times a week and have never had any problems of this nature in any other establishment.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sadlady2010

First of all, fair play to your wife & her mother for eating in BB's & surviving it. I once had the misfortune of ordering a BLT wrap that didn't contain bacon, lettuce or tomato regardless of how it looked.
    Secondly, it's a bit of a cod that they wouldn't give your wife a bowl of boiling water in order to heat the babies food or stick in the microwave for a minute. Even if they charged for it.
    Sadly it's the way things are gone. Learn & move on to restaurants that will cater for basic human needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

For some chains it is to do with insurance policies, so they no longer do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

In fairness to them, while it may be awkward for you, their insurers have probably told them that they're not covered in the event that a baby gets seriously ill after they provide it with food. Once they take the food from you they're taking responsibility for what happens with it. All it takes is one parent suing for massive damages after a case of botulism and pretty much every insurer will be updating their policy terms and informing their holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

Thanks for your replies! All I can say is they will never set foot in any of their places again. The poor child was starving.. She had to stop into McDonalds of all places to get hot water. They were down in Cork shopping for the day (we are from Waterford).

If the staff member had not been so ignorant it would have been a different matter. Their staff training policy is obviously not as strict as their insurance policy!

Rule number 1 in dealing with a customer that is having difficulty is to identify and sympathise: example:

I am very sorry but we are not allowed to heat baby food. I realise and agree that it is a silly rule but unfortunately I cannot do anything about it. If you would like to speak to a manager for further clarification I can get one for you. Again I apologise...

In fairness to them, while it may be awkward for you, their insurers have probably told them that they're not covered in the event that a baby gets seriously ill after they provide it with food. Once they take the food from you they're taking responsibility for what happens with it. All it takes is one parent suing for massive damages after a case of botulism and pretty much every insurer will be updating their policy terms and informing their holders.

But if you look for a bowl of boiling water would that not void any responsibilty on the restaurants part?

• Advertisement

She also asked for a pot of hot water. Is this also against insurance policy in a coffee shop?? They would not be taking responsibility for anything in this instance. If my wife then proceeds to roast our son alive then surely she is responsible?

But if you look for a bowl of boiling water would that not void any responsibilty on the restaurants part?
    Good question. That seems like a reasonable request but the insurance company might say something different. I suppose the problem is that the first second that something goes wrong these days you're immediately worried about a law suit. The dreadful service staff in the above case are don't really help...

At least there are still plenty of places that will accommodate.

Thanks for your comments... Oh well will just have to wait and see what head office says next. They said they would call back when they invistigate...

d-sher wrote: »
    She also asked for a pot of hot water. Is this also against insurance policy in a coffee shop?? They would not be taking responsibility for anything in this instance. If my wife then proceeds to roast our son alive then surely she is responsible?
    I'd say that you'd have no problem finding a solicitor and barrister willing to argue in court that by knowingly providing the hot water and vessel in their place of business the premises took some responsibility for any consequences. Unfortunate but still likely.

BTW - I'll add that I'm in no way saying that you're in the wrong and I agree that the attitude of the staff sounds dreadful. That alone makes the place worth avoiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

there's at least 3 microwaves available in the food court area in MahonPoint, for heating baby food/bottles
    I've not eaten in BB's, but I'm surprised you weren't told that the microwaves were there? It's only a short distance for BB's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Premade prepacked formula + a banana to mash up for them. Sorted with no hassle or need to bother staff for things. Or a little mashed potato off your plate or whatever.

There is absolutely no need or point in bringing food that needs making up on a trip away from home. You're just making your life difficult for no good reason.

Yes the guy that rang me today explained that there are microwaves there. Bit late on Monday when they were there on Saturday though.. Again, if the staff had been any good, this situation could have been avoided simply by supply that information...

nesf wrote: »
    Premade prepacked formula + a banana to mash up for them. Sorted with no hassle or need to bother staff for things. Or a little mashed potato off your plate or whatever.

There is absolutely no need or point in bringing food that needs making up on a trip away from home. You're just making your life difficult for no good reason.

Apologese Super Parent!! Baby has a condition and can only eat certain food types... Never had any trouble in the past anywhere else...

Good question. That seems like a reasonable request but the insurance company might say something different. I suppose the problem is that the first second that something goes wrong these days you're immediately worried about a law suit. The dreadful service staff in the above case are don't really help...

At least there are still plenty of places that will accommodate.

Yeah, all it takes is a waiter/ waitress to spill the boiling water on mother/ baby for a claim to take place but the same could be said for serving tea/ coffee.
    I've noticed lots of people drinking just boiling water lately, no tea bag or anything. So it wouldn't be a far fetched request really.

Yeah, all it takes is a waiter/ waitress to spill the boiling water on mother/ baby for a claim to take place but the same could be said for serving tea/ coffee.
    I wasn't referring to the risk of burning the child, rather the risk that by assisting heating/preparing the food on the premises in some way the proprietors take some share of responsibility if contamination occurs and the baby gets badly ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

most mcdonalds will not heat baby food for you or will not give you a cup of hot water. had to buy a tea and ask for them to leave the bag out to 'defrost' a bottle at the start of january in a mcds.

Apologese Super Parent!! Baby has a condition and can only eat certain food types...

Meh, path of least resistance is best. Kids don't need heated food. A 10 month old is enough of a handful without adding in the stress of trying to get food heated for them on a shopping trip out!

nesf wrote: »
    Meh, path of least resistance is best. Kids don't need heated food. A 10 month old is enough of a handful without adding in the stress of trying to get food heated for them on a shopping trip out!

As stated previously, he needs certain types of foods due to a medical condition. In a cold state it is solid, hence needs to be heated to be eadible...

As stated previously, he needs certain types of foods due to a medical condition. In a cold state it is solid, hence needs to be heated to be eadible...

Well then explain that at the start so we can understand why it's necessary to heat up his food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Goodness me this has got very heated ( unlike the food eh )

This is a training issue at the outlet you went to . If there was baby heating facilities available within the ' food court ' or whatever they call it down in Cork , then you should have been pointed in that direction.

Unfortunately service in a lot of food places is poor at best , it's a shame the person who informed the staff member that ' we don't heat baby food ' didn't explain why and that there were alternative facilities available.

On a different note , why of why would anyone think of bringing a place to court if the food was ' too hot ' or whatever . I wish someone would bring in a law that you had to have ultimate responsibility FOR YOURSELVES, but that's a different thread for a different forum I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

This could also be an issue for them also for example what if the bowl spilled over and scalded someone. I know its extreme but I suppose they have to think of everything. We were in Mc Donalds and the same thing happened that they refused to heat the bottle and told us it was their policy not to heat bottles or jars of food. Very inconvienient when your trying to sit down relax and eat but what can you do?
    I ended up with a travel bottle warmer wrap that has a heat pack in it so when you turn the dial it heats up the bottle. Not as fast as water but it works and you dont have to plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

my guys are 2 and 4 and when they were younger there were so many places that refused to heat their food for me. Worst one was at a small airport where there was only one place for food/drink, late on a sunday eve. Wouldn't heat a dinner for us. It was middle of winter, so dinner was freezing cold and we were in the airport for 2 hours before flight. They were nice about it, girl checked if tehy could put it in a microwave but person in charge said no becasue there was meat in it - insurance reasons (obviously something to do with risk of reheating and bacteria??). Best they could do was a little teapot of hot water which I poured into a bowl and sat the food bowl in, topping up the water every few mins as it went cold very quickly. Noone enjoyed their coffee that eve with a hungry baby screaming while his food slooooowly defrosted.
    I find places with microwaves for public use the best - no responsibility on the providers. I'm sure there must have been cases (prob in the US) where incompetent parents blamed the people who heated the food for their children getting burnt, that are responsible for all this. Why someone wouldn't test it first is beyond me.. even when someone does heat it they ask how long for and you've no idea how powerful their microwave is so you really HAVE to check it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have to say I never had the problem. Mind I always fed my kids milk both cold and warm so they would accept it if out and about and couldnt heat it. I used to bring fruit jars if going out so again no need for heating.

I know the OP has the issue of health requirements for the baby and I have to say OP if I were in your wives position I would have requested a refund for whatever I had purchased and immediately taken my business elsewhere. I have never come across this before anywhere, I remember McDs used to have a bottle warmer specifially for babies bottles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We asked for the same thing in M&S Tallaght recently and the lady explained that due to cross contamination it wasn't possible to heat up the food. But she did provide a small bowl with hot water which worked grand.

Spoken with hindsight, not a superpower new parents have yet. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Was told before it was to do with avoiding claims that the baby was scalded. Dunno if it's a front for discouraging buggies/kids

Used to just ask for hot water to heat the bottle myself, and as said, just let him eat it cold when he was a little older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I'm sorry OP but I don't see how it's the responsibility of privately run businesses to make provisions for your child. It's up to the child's parents to ensure the child's needs are met, not anybody else. You knew before bringing the child on a full day shopping trip about his dietary requirements yet you just assumed other people would facilitate your child's needs and then shout about it when they don't. If you can organise a shopping trip to another county, then surely it's not too much to make definite arrangements about your child's feeds.

Also, you didn't hesitate in reporting the branch to their head office so I'm sure you'd be equally as quick to do the same if your child were to become ill as a result of his food preparation on their premises. I can totally understand why businesses are reticent to partake in preparing infant's food.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Hi,
    .... Interested to find out if anyone else has come across this? ....

I have seen signs in several places saying that they do not heat up baby bottles or food, for example, KFC in the Crescent SC in Limerick.

Dyflin wrote: »
    Spoken with hindsight, not a superpower new parents have yet. ;)

Indeed. Often the solutions are so blindingly obvious when dealing with your second child that it's hard to believe how you didn't think of them the first time around.

I'm sorry OP but I don't see how it's the responsibility of privately run businesses to make provisions for your child. It's up to the child's parents to ensure the child's needs are met, not anybody else. You knew before bringing the child on a full day shopping trip about his dietary requirements yet you just assumed other people would facilitate your child's needs and then shout about it when they don't. If you can organise a shopping trip to another county, then surely it's not too much to make definite arrangements about your child's feeds.

Also, you didn't hesitate in reporting the branch to their head office so I'm sure you'd be equally as quick to do the same if your child were to become ill as a result of his food preparation on their premises. I can totally understand why businesses are reticent to partake in preparing infant's food.

Are you for real??
    Not the resposibility of a privately run business to make provisions? - Hot water from a cafe too much to ask in your opinion??

just assumed other people would facilitate your child's needs and then shout about it when they don't? - Again, Hot water from a cafe too much to ask in your opinion?? A total of €35 was spent in the cafe, they were customers, not beggars!!

I'm sure you'd be equally as quick to do the same if your child were to become ill as a result of his food preparation on their premises. -
    Food was already prepared but needed hot water to warm it. They are in the hospitality business and it should be their business to ensure that they explain the policies of that business to patrons in such a situation!!

I can't say I would like to ever visit an eatery run by you!!

To everyone else that has commented constructively - Thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Are you for real??
    Not the resposibility of a privately run business to make provisions? - Hot water from a cafe too much to ask in your opinion??

just assumed other people would facilitate your child's needs and then shout about it when they don't? - Again, Hot water from a cafe too much to ask in your opinion?? A total of €35 was spent in the cafe, they were customers, not beggars!!

I'm sure you'd be equally as quick to do the same if your child were to become ill as a result of his food preparation on their premises. -
    Food was already prepared but needed hot water to warm it. They are in the hospitality business and it should be their business to ensure that they explain the policies of that business to patrons in such a situation!!

I can't say I would like to ever visit an eatery run by you!!

To everyone else that has commented constructively - Thank you very much.
    So because you assumed it shouldn't be a problem then its their fault? It's not hard to ask before ordering is it possible to heat up this food? If it is great if not go somewhere which will heat it up. Their business is to sell their products not to accommodate your needs, and yes giving out hot water can be dangerous as it would not be covered by insurance should it scald someone and they made a claim.

Advertisement