Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slowly Rising Price of a 500ml Coca Cola

Options
  • 03-02-2010 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks I'm sure it's been mentioned here on boards many times. A 500ml bottle of coca cola seems to be increasing in price all the time. While it wasn't something I would buy terribly often I did enjoy a bottle from time to time.

However I've pretty much stopped buying it as the prices in most Spars/Centras/Londis shops is nothing short of shocking. The worst one I've come across is the Spar on Parnell street in Dublin which is charging a whopping €1.60 per bottle.

So what's the worst you've seen in a convenience shop around town (the cinema doesn't count). I know I can buy it in a supermarket but we are talking about casually picking one up in a shop. What are retailers thinking? Has the price gone up to them, do they feel because of its popularity people will simply pay anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Its even worse when its some ****e imported muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Londis on Westmoreland St have 2 bottles for €2

Result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Dunnes /Tesco have increased it by 15% since christmas from 1euro per bottle to 1.15. for the 500ml.....thats deflation for ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

3 500mls bottles for €2 in the euro shop on George's Street. 5 cans for €2 in the same shop.

I never buy that stuff anywhere else now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

3 500mls bottles for €2 in the euro shop on George's Street. 5 cans for €2 in the same shop.

I never buy that stuff anywhere else now.

Could be worse. I noticed that a bottle of diet coke in TFS (Tenerife) airport last summer was €3.15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

1.75 for a 500ml bottles of flavoured water in the news agents across from River island on Grafton Street

No I didn't buy it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

....then buy a bottle in the UCG cinema in Dublin ...And you'll know how much a bottle of coke will cost you, around about 2050.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

conorhal wrote: »
    ....then buy a bottle in the UCG cinema in Dublin ...And you'll know how much a bottle of coke will cost you, around about 2050.....:rolleyes:

Not entirely sure what point you're trying to make there poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

A little explanation maybe on some stores being cheap for it and some dear, when I worked in pricing the company I worked for would choose contour bottles as the item they would raise margins on to allow for lost earnings due to theft. Their idea behind it was if they were loosing 200 a day on theft and selling 100 bottles a day they would make their loss back by pushing up the bottles by 1 cent each as they were one of the regular sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The reason for the "high" cost of 500ml bottles & 330ml cans is the running costs of the refridgeration.

A standard convienence store's open mineral fridge system (abut 12ft of display) costs over €1500 per month to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

91011 wrote: »
    The reason for the "high" cost of 500ml bottles & 330ml cans is the running costs of the refridgeration.

A standard convienence store's open mineral fridge system (abut 12ft of display) costs over €1500 per month to run.

Interesting but I can't imagine it's that alone. I went into a small independent grocers yesterday and as I was buying a 500ml bottle of Coke the chap took great pride in telling me that they were cheaper than Spar, Centra, Londis etc and that only Tescos were cheaper than them. I kid you not. It cost €1.35 from a small independent shop who have to run the same kind of fridge. So apart from a potentially smaller margin, how come it's cheaper there?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

€1.80 from vending machines in University of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Simple answer?

Its business.

They are pricing towards what the market will take. Why would a shop reduce a price on something that is selling well? You can sell 100 bottles @ €1 a bottle, or 100 bottles @ €1.20 a bottle, which would you do?

Theres no kindness in business, no matter what people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Interesting but I can't imagine it's that alone. I went into a small independent grocers yesterday and as I was buying a 500ml bottle of Coke the chap took great pride in telling me that they were cheaper than Spar, Centra, Londis etc and that only Tescos were cheaper than them. I kid you not. It cost €1.35 from a small independent shop who have to run the same kind of fridge. So apart from a potentially smaller margin, how come it's cheaper there?

Prices will vary on items such as this. Not just in Ireland but probably every country in the world. - It not unusual to be asked for $2 for a bottle of cold coke in the USA or £1.70 in the UK.

Its simply not a rip off. Prices are displayed very well in most stores and stores will prices based on their costs and what the market will bear.

The cost price of a 500ml bottle of coke is usually about 65c - 70c + vat. - Obviously there will be quantity & promotional discounts from time to time.

The product is also entirely made in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

That is ABSOLUTE bull. Its a normal socket plugged into the wall. For a 6500 sq foot store our total bill is under £2000 per 2 month period. We have 2 fridges, loads of lighting, computers, security cameras and photo booths.

I've never heard such drivel completely made up and clearly false information in my life before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Prices will vary on items such as this. Not just in Ireland but probably every country in the world. - It not unusual to be asked for $2 for a bottle of cold coke in the USA or £1.70 in the UK.

Its simply not a rip off. Prices are displayed very well in most stores and stores will prices based on their costs and what the market will bear.

The cost price of a 500ml bottle of coke is usually about 65c - 70c + vat. - Obviously there will be quantity & promotional discounts from time to time.

What are you on. I work in a general retail store in the UK. We charge £1.10 for a bottle of coke or 2 for £1.60 and thats for a high street shop.

More absolute drivel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

LOL!

I have found coke from South Africa, Aruba and France on sale in shops in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Bond-007 wrote: »
    LOL!

I have found coke from South Africa, Aruba and France on sale in shops in Ireland.

Thats quite right. Its because its cheaper to buy it there and ship it around the world than buy irish coke.

Go figure why.....

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Yeah yeah, constant 15kWh per hour? Pull the other one.
    What's that I smell??

An educated guess is more like max of 8kWh WHEN RUNNING which would only be a fraction of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

HappyHarry wrote: »
    An educated guess is more like max of 8kWh WHEN RUNNING which would only be a fraction of the time.

Any of the fridges I've seen use normal wall outlet points -- these are capped at 3kW (13A*230V = 2.9kW).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

€2.20 in vending machine in green isle hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Any of the fridges I've seen use normal wall outlet points -- these are capped at 3kW (13A*230V = 2.9kW).

Quite right, most of them probably are. However he mentioned 12 feet of fridge so I was allowing for 2 units @ 20A each (Some of the very large units require a 20A socket I believe).

Of course when you are looking at taking this much room up with fridges you would be expecting a high turnover, in any case €1,500 is complete bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Coke is something that is gaurenteed to sell quickly no matter what shop or what price as people will always buy it and pay whatever asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont drink coca cola anymore so I dont care...but if i did I would be more inclinded to buy the big bottles in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Healio wrote: »
    Its even worse when its some ****e imported muck.

25% of all Coca Cola concentrate sold worldwide is made in Ballina, Co. Mayo.

Check your facts before spouting 'muck'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

YNWA wrote: »

Maybe you should think about your facts before basing an argument on them. :)

The plant produces concentrate which is supplied as an ingredient to various coca cola bottlers worldwide.

It's not a case that water is added to this and away you go - there are some regional variations to the recipe - in that each bottler / franchise operator adds different sugars / sweeteners to this syrup.

So it's actually quite appropriate to refer to imported muck if the taste is not as nice in the opinion of the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

YNWA wrote: »

You need to check your facts. It doesnt matter where the CONCENTRATE is made. Its what you do with it, the type of water used, the mix used.

And as for the 25% fact, so what? Did you not wonder about the other 75%

SOME of the foreign stuff is crap. I tried it once, never again.

Your points are...... pointless LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭__________

I drink the LIDL cola now, 2 litres for 70 cents. And sometimes they do 2 x 2 litres of pepsi for €2. The markup on those 500ml bottles must be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Thats not how it works, generally doing a deal e.g. €1.50 or 2 for €2.50 sells more and brings in more margin. The reason they charge more is
    1. they pay more for the stuff as they are limited to 1 supplier e.g. the symbol group - cokes list price is €17.75 which is 89c including Vat per bottle before any deals which are reducing, one poster said above that shops buy it for 60c a bottle or 11.90 per case + VAT,. I can tell you now that you cannot buy irish coke for that price
    2. they have higher overheads, they have had to keep their shops upto the brand standards which can cost anywhere from 500,000 € for a average symbol shop to a few million for the larger mini supermarket format.
    3. they generally work on a percentage margin, every wonder why prices are like €1.03 for a bar and not 99c or €1.05
    4. Coke deals are reducing due to the falling sterling rate,
    5. Coke is generally cheaper in ireland than the UK, it is 14.89 sterling in Parfetts Cash and Carry which is one of Liverpools biggest cash and carrys, which is €17.70 + transport. Coke is cheaper than that here at the moment, evern if you got it at 13.50 sterling that would be €15.95 plus transport, which would be another 60 - 90c per case depending on the quantity bought, guess what it would still be cheaper
    6. UK shops work on less margin, have less overheads, less red tape, depend alot on thier off licences etc
    7. Most foreign stuff is crap, and if you pay 2.20 or 2.50 for a contour you are an idiot who will probably send your details to one of those money scams from nigeria.

Advertisement