Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slowly Rising Price of a 500ml Coca Cola

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I just find it laughable how much cheaper coke is over the border, and yes, both are made and bottled in the same place. Even with the 5% difference in VAT etc. there's no accounting for the difference, and Coca Cola don't seem to have passed on the currency fluctuations to Northern Ireland yet the price is still rising here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

1.50 in a garage in foynes.a disgrace really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1.50 is common enough in garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

€1.30 for a coke in the vending machine in IT Carlow.

Or €1.20 for 0 River Rock today (the bastarding thing didn't vend and gave me only a 10c refund).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

€1.60 from the canteen in FAS in Ballyfermot

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

€1.25 in Gamesnash Live ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pfy2k

Just buy the 24 can pack in Dunnes for 8.99, and think ahead and carry a can with you when in town!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I know, but its not cold! :( God, Im spoiled!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

dearest 500ml coke/diet coke i ever bought was in faro airport in portugal via the vending machine once you pass by security...3euro last november....they only sold water in the shop!!! 13.95 for the local equivelant of a big mac meal in the same airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It used to be €1 per bottle in my local vending machine... it used to take the service man three trips to the van with a trolly to refill it. They put the price up to €1.20 and now the service man only needs a half trolly to refill the machine. They got too greedy looking for the last 20c and thus have sold one sixth of the usual volume for it. I guess they now know what the market bears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Danno wrote: »
    It used to be €1 per bottle in my local vending machine... it used to take the service man three trips to the van with a trolly to refill it. They put the price up to €1.20 and now the service man only needs a half trolly to refill the machine. They got too greedy looking for the last 20c and thus have sold one sixth of the usual volume for it. I guess they now know what the market bears.

Or the heat wave ended ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Doroteo

stop drinkig coke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I paid €6.50 for a 330ml glass of coke in a Paris cafe, nearly had a heart attack when I saw the bill. :(

DSC01771.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah the first time I was in Paris, in my naivety I didn't even stop to consider what sort of prices to expect in some of the areas I was in. I paid over a fiver for a can of Diet Coke! I just don't understand how it works with local economies like that, really, and how such establishments even exist. Does anyone have so much money as to justify willingly and knowingly spending almost seven euro on a glass of coke? I ate in a cafe right in the middle of San Francisco and in comparison a bottle of Pepsi was $1.20, a bagel $1.80 and a slice of cake $2 - five dollars for a very delicious meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

€1.65 in Texaco in Nutgrove, near the Credit Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

CombatCow wrote: »
    I paid €6.50 for a 330ml glass of coke in a Paris cafe, nearly had a heart attack when I saw the bill. :(

DSC01771.jpg

How did the €22 you paid for a cheeseburger and the €18 for a club sandwich not bother you? If you knew you were paying €40 for a burger and sandwich, why would a coke for €6.50 nearly give you a heart attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

CombatCow wrote:
    DSC01771.jpg
    Jesus.. I'm never going to Paris! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

basquille wrote: »
    Jesus.. I'm never going to Paris! :eek:

Feck, I'm going there in about 2 weeks- almost against my will!

viking wrote: »
    How did the €22 you paid for a cheeseburger and the €18 for a club sandwich not bother you? If you knew you were paying €40 for a burger and sandwich, why would a coke for €6.50 nearly give you a heart attack?

Well the burger was a 1/2 pounder and it was excellent in fairness. The club was ok but not worth the €18. Everything was expensive but just because the coke was such a small glass I freaked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

91011 wrote: »
    The reason for the "high" cost of 500ml bottles & 330ml cans is the running costs of the refridgeration.

A standard convienence store's open mineral fridge system (abut 12ft of display) costs over €1500 per month to run.

Off subject I know but open fridges should be banned in shops and super markets, they're just like patio heater, your trying to heat/cool an infinite space, incredibly inefficient. You wouldn't take the door off your domestic fridge would ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Funny enough, I've always used the price of a bottle of coke as a barometer on the market.

I think it's 1.40 in my local shop. The place I get my coffee in the morning, a bottle of coke is 2.00!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

500ml bottle of coke is 90c in my local shop. Granted they dont have them refrigerated but 90c is great!

other 500ml bottles there are 80c I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

500ml bottle of coke is 90c in my local shop. Granted they dont have them refrigerated but 90c is great!

other 500ml bottles there are 80c I believe

That cant be right unless their sell by date is coming up?? Are they Irish/English made bottles and in proper date?? Cost of a bottle of coke direct from coke is 53p excl VAT. So 62p incl. That means in Ireland is costs a minimum of 75-80c. No way they'd sell normal bottles for 90c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

That cant be right unless their sell by date is coming up?? Are they Irish/English made bottles and in proper date?? Cost of a bottle of coke direct from coke is 53p excl VAT. So 62p incl. That means in Ireland is costs a minimum of 75-80c. No way they'd sell normal bottles for 90c.

Hey, how do you get that price from coke?

I am a symbol and a contour is 72.9c plus vat, direct from coke. If I order 60 c/s, I get 5% off invoice.

Needless to say, I buy cheaper on the grey market but its still irish coke!

You mention pence but location is Limerick, where are you?

believe me its right. I have one here that I bought yesterday. looked at the rest of their prices also. Diet Coke 500ml is also 90c. Club Orange 500ml 90c. 7up/Pepsi and some others are 80c. Its a discount store. Sell by date on my one here is December 2010. In fact its one of those current promotion 'Gold' bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Hey, how do you get that price from coke?

I am a symbol and a contour is 72.9c plus vat, direct from coke. If I order 60 c/s, I get 5% off invoice.

Needless to say, I buy cheaper on the grey market but its still irish coke!

You mention pence but location is Limerick, where are you?

Bit lost, you are a "symbol"?

So the price of a bottle of coke is 88c including VAT then? Sorry i was off the mark then at 75-80 c. Still no way they could sell normal bottles at 90c.

In dorchester , Dorset BTW. 53p plus VAT for a contour

Bit lost, you are a "symbol"?

So the price of a bottle of coke is 88c including VAT then? Sorry i was off the mark then at 75-80 c. Still no way they could sell normal bottles at 90c.

In dorchester , Dorset BTW. 53p plus VAT for a contour

are you still trying to accuse me of lying? I've told u twice now the bottles are 90c. Mine still has the 90c price tag on it.

Just cos u think the cost is 88c doesn't make that true. And yes it's an Irish coke with an Irish competition on it

Cineworld vending machine, 500ml bottle of coke €2.90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and I thought the €2.50 at the racecourses was bad

Advertisement