Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slowly Rising Price of a 500ml Coca Cola

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

the price of all soft drinks in this country is shocking. Something else I have noticed lately is the number of stores like spar that are turning of their fridges where the drinks are stored. Doesn't seem to happen too much in garages, maybe it is because they are open 24 hours. Where as some shops may shut and they turn of the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

generally though, the price of all branded soft drinks (Coke etc) is very similar the world over. You'll always pay over the odds for a 500ml bottle.

i remember in New York in 1995 paying $1.50 for a Coke 500ml (or its equivalent size) from a vending machine on our street when I was on the J1.

Theres good value to be had on the 2litre bottles though. A bit of forward planning and you can fill up a 500ml bottle from a 2litre and save a fortune :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Floppybits wrote: »
    the price of all soft drinks in this country is shocking. Something else I have noticed lately is the number of stores like spar that are turning of their fridges where the drinks are stored. Doesn't seem to happen too much in garages, maybe it is because they are open 24 hours. Where as some shops may shut and they turn of the fridge.

This is purely down to desperation. Attempting to save money any way they can. I may end up doing the same. My ESB bill is 500 per week. Any way of lowering it is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

depends where you live.

o connell st its 1.89

ballsbridge 1.69

most everywhere else 1.49/1.55

Location. Location.Location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

500ml bottle of coke is only €1 in spar barrack street waterford at the moment bargain. Not out of date and refrigerated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Funderland in limerick are charging 2.50 for a bottle!!

Was so thirsty with the sun had to get one, and it wasnt even cold then after all that:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

If it makes you feel any better, a 500ml bottle of Diet Coke cost €2.65 in Santiago airport, Spain.
    And Spain is cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I popped into Tesco there the other day and they are now charging €1.15 per bottle. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well 2 litre bottles are now €1.99 in most supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

I popped into Tesco there the other day and they are now charging €1.15 per bottle. :(

Tesco = a no no. They started fiddling on the upward side of prices lately.

Lidl are cheaper for Coca Cola. Up north, Asda have a current offer of 3 two litre bottles of Coca Cola for GBP 3.00 (EUR 3.62). If you're going up north, buy them in bulk, but don't forget to buy groceries also. For me, it works out cheaper. I traded in two thousand sterling in January of last year when the rate was nearly EUR 1 = 1 GBP. The rate has changed since but its cheaper if you buy in bulk and maybe stick to the Asda brand products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

€1.25 now.

But bless them, they'll give you 2 for €2 :rolleyes:

Popped into my local Spar on the Navan Road last night and fair play to them, they are doing 2 x 500ml bottles of Diet/Regular coke for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cson wrote: »
    €1.25 now.

But bless them, they'll give you 2 for €2 :rolleyes:
    And they give you 2x2L of coke for €2.50, that is the equivalent of 31cent for 500ml. I don't think I have ever bought a 500ml bottle in my life, they are stupidly overpriced and stupidly overvalued by the people who freely pay it. I remember a nut job in college had a locker full to the brim with 500ml bottles, we presumed he had got a good offer but he paid standard price. I do not like flat coke so often throw out a fair bit of my 2L but still am better off.

People seem strangley blind to the fact and just accept it, I remember when bulmers was in 2L bottles it was around the same price per litre as 500ml cans. I suppose if people are willing to pay for convenience they will charge for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

why do people even buy 500ml bottles, when you can buy cans in multipacks for 30-40c each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

g32 wrote: »
    Tesco = a no no. They started fiddling on the upward side of prices lately.

Lidl are cheaper for Coca Cola. Up north, Asda have a current offer of 3 two litre bottles of Coca Cola for GBP 3.00 (EUR 3.62). If you're going up north, buy them in bulk, but don't forget to buy groceries also. For me, it works out cheaper. I traded in two thousand sterling in January of last year when the rate was nearly EUR 1 = 1 GBP. The rate has changed since but its cheaper if you buy in bulk and maybe stick to the Asda brand products.

G32 - can you please tell me where I can buy £3 stg for €3.62 - I'd love to buy a few million to make a quick fortune!

BTW tesco here beats asda's price - €1.99 each - 2 for €2.50

Asda = £1.66 per bottle (€2.07 at current bank sell rate) or 3 for £3 (€3.77 at current bank sell rate)

As for getting £2000 jan 2009 - if you left it in a 30day notice account it would have earned you about 7% interest at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

why do people even buy 500ml bottles, when you can buy cans in multipacks for 30-40c each?

I guess cause people don't want to be lugging a 6 or 12 pack of cans around during lunch.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

If anyone is interested:

Rochfort's in Mullingar have an offer on at the moment:

2 Bottles of Coca Cola for €2 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

its tasty but it will destroy ur teeth
    my dentist told me jack daniels and coke is one of worst things u can put on ur teeth
    and then he told me he drinks it as well though :)

delllat wrote: »
    my dentist told me jack daniels and coke is one of worst things u can put on ur teeth

It's all about moderation. As mentioned in the first post:
    While it wasn't something I would buy terribly often I did enjoy a bottle from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

delllat wrote: »

Wine is the worst, followed by coke just seen a tv show about it last week.

• Advertisement

Well knock me down with a feather. I was coming back from Barrow Street the other day and I was rather thirsty so decided I'd pick up one of the €1 small bottles of coke. There were none to be found so I looked at the price of the 500ml- it's now risen to the dizzying heights of €1.79 which I found amazing.... and not in a good way. Out of curiosity I looked at the price of a can and it was €1.19!
    It wasn't just the shop I was in at the time, I had a look in a few other convenience shops and they were all priced the same.

When €1 shops can do it for €0.79 per 500ml bottle are these convenience shops just exploiting us?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

There's a Spar (maybe Centra...I can't remember which) in Dun Laoghaire that sells the 500ml bottles for €1.63. It's often GB Coke too, which tastes different :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just to upset everyone here, Coca Cola have just put a wholesale price increase through.

So the shops (like me) will have to pass it on. If it costs me more to buy, it will ultimately cost you more to buy. Any queries on this, you could ring coke and ask them why its happening.

According to the label on the contour coke I sell, the consumer information freephone number is 1800-317318.

dealz in limerick is where i go 4 cans 1.50 i bought a slab and the guy serving me was laughing at me wtf :( i told him to piss off my money ill buy what i want wasent to smug then scared him off told manager that was that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Well knock me down with a feather. I was coming back from Barrow Street the other day and I was rather thirsty so decided I'd pick up one of the €1 small bottles of coke. There were none to be found so I looked at the price of the 500ml- it's now risen to the dizzying heights of €1.79 which I found amazing.... and not in a good way. Out of curiosity I looked at the price of a can and it was €1.19!
    It wasn't just the shop I was in at the time, I had a look in a few other convenience shops and they were all priced the same.

When €1 shops can do it for €0.79 per 500ml bottle are these convenience shops just exploiting us?

Watch out everybody, we have a genius coming through!

CombatCow wrote: »
    Cineworld vending machine, 500ml bottle of coke €2.90

Shock horror, cinemas are expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

That cant be right unless their sell by date is coming up?? Are they Irish/English made bottles and in proper date?? Cost of a bottle of coke direct from coke is 53p excl VAT. So 62p incl. That means in Ireland is costs a minimum of 75-80c. No way they'd sell normal bottles for 90c.

theyre now selling all 500ml bottles for €1 and all cans for 60c refrigerated.
    theyre a sort of a discount store so thats probably why

Watch out everybody, we have a genius coming through!

Now there's no need to be a smart arse- I clearly didn't mean that as literally as it may have sounded.

Working in retail as I do, setting prices as I do, I could set a higher price for popular items but believe it's better all round if I set a price which gives an acceptable margin for the company but which is also at a price point that the customer doesn't think twice about.

At €1.79 the price has become ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

if I set a price which gives an acceptable margin for the company but which is also at a price point that the customer doesn't think twice about.
    If the retailer is paying over the odds in the first place this might not be possible. Some of the "rip offs" might be working on low/reasonable margins.

Reading threads here I find it astonishing how many people, seemingly involved in retail, seem to think everybody is paying the about same wholesale prices. A mate of mine co-managed a centra and had the same mindset, totally convinced the cash & carry was the cheapest and people MUST be below cost selling if it was less than what he paid. The publicans are always at this, its unbelievable the press they are given, I have been searching online and can find no figures for the alleged rife below cost selling of alcohol in supermarkets here. I did find UK figures showing it is very uncommon.

Retailers have to shop around just as much as normal customers. Obviously many do not bother and just pass on the extra costs.

Looking on musgraves the recommended retail of 500ml of coke is listed as €1
    http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/files/r5-2012/retail.pdf
    They do 24x500ml for €12.50, so that is 64cent with VAT. So a retailer could go to dealz and get it cheaper, though it is probably not Irish coke. And of course they are limited to what is on the shelves, though I suspect some of these shops would be happy to sell in bulk.

Musgraves have twix & mars 48 for €21.50, which works out at 55 cent per bar with VAT. So its cheaper for a retailer to go to a €2 shop as they are 40cent in one I go to (5 for €2), some of there bars are slightly smaller but I know twix & bounty are full size. I usually stock up in tesco when they are €1.50 for 5 bars, 30cent each & full retail size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

If anyone is interested:

Rochfort's in Mullingar have an offer on at the moment:

2 Bottles of Coca Cola for €2 euros.

But heres my Q - CAN YOU GET 1 BOTTLE FOR €1 ??? Not likely :mad:

Like a shop in Dawson st selling 3/4 Galaxys for €1 but can you buy 1 off her for 25c ???? :mad:

Years ago my cousin used to have a salesman calling who bought/sold stuff Eu wide. He'd buy say Coke 250ml cans in Portugal for 10c and sell them to my cousin for 30c, then he'd buy say Macaroon bars here for 10c and sell them in France for 40c.Wonder if he's still doing it (Saw Lidl Beetroot €1.20(?) here on a small shop shelf in Portugal for €2.30 so maybe he's still around !!)

The manufacturers decide whats 'good' for profit us , Coke can sell 250ml cans here when it wants to , but it's probably more profitable for them to force us to quaff 500ml of 'fattening calories' - meanwhile the dept of Health is spending our tax €'s on telling us to 'cut down' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Since HBC took over the bottling contract for Coke and moved all their PET and Glass bottling (Canning was always in NI) North of the border for Cost reasons. I would have assumed that Coke would pass the savings on to the consumer and the price of a Coke 500ml bottle would have stayed steady in price :pac: :pac:
    (I wish)

Advertisement