Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slowly Rising Price of a 500ml Coca Cola

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Big and small companies are constantly pushing a rip-off-the-Irish-consumer culture, and when it fails they then have a 'Now better value than ever in new 530ml bottles !' ad campaign:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Coke are bringing out a new 1 ltr contour btl in a few weeks with the priced flashed on the Btl. Wait Now .............................. €1.50
    and the 500ml Contour will be €1.65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they must have realised that their 1.25L "Meal Pack" (who the **** was the eejit who came up with that name?) was a complete failure

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

paconnors wrote: »
    the 500ml Contour will be €1.65
    It might be that in some shops, and these shops could charge more for the flashed ones too. I know a guy who worked in a centra and they would simply avoid buying flashed items to avoid arguments.

I posted musgraves price list before. 500ml, 1.25ml & 2L have recommended retail prices of €1, €1.50, €1.75

http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/files/r5-2012/retail.pdf
    they must have realised that their 1.25L "Meal Pack" (who the **** was the eejit who came up with that name?) was a complete failure
    It makes sense how it failed, it doesn't know where it belongs price wise.

If you look at 2L bottles of cider they are usually about the same price as 4 500ml cans. Soft drinks are completely different.

In supermarkets is usually less than double the 500ml price for 2L, I usually only buy coke when 2L are 1.50 or less. 1.25L is too big to be walking around drinking from, and I reckon most go for the 2L as it is usually just pence more than the 1.25L.

I have seen tesco starting to put 1.25L in the fridges though, which would differentiate them from 2L a lot more if people wanted it straight away going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

rubadub wrote: »
    I posted musgraves price list before. 500ml, 1.25ml & 2L have recommended retail prices of €1, €1.50, €1.75

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

An RRP of €1 yet most places are nudging on for €2 these days- the swines!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Simple answer?

Its business.

They are pricing towards what the market will take. Why would a shop reduce a price on something that is selling well? You can sell 100 bottles @ €1 a bottle, or 100 bottles @ €1.20 a bottle, which would you do?

Theres no kindness in business, no matter what people think.

Bam, couldn't have said it better myself. Though, on a side note, i'd pay that for one bottle of vanilla coke, I miss it. :(

Bam, couldn't have said it better myself. Though, on a side note, i'd pay that for one bottle of vanilla coke, I miss it. :(

Vanilla Coke / Cherry Coke :confused: Amazing how some markets take to it and others don't - the science of tastebuds :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

rubadub wrote: »
    It might be that in some shops, and these shops could charge more for the flashed ones too. I know a guy who worked in a centra and they would simply avoid buying flashed items to avoid arguments.

http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/files/r5-2012/retail.pdf

To be fair Rubadub that's a heavily discounted promotion price for a limited time only. It's normally up around €17.00 - €18.00 for a case of 500ml in Musgraves and that's quoting an offer price of €12.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Would people not agree here, as soon as Coca-Cola notice the sales of their stuff in this country are going down, prices will fall once again, as at least they should as long as the stores don;t take all the extra margin.

And just because people are complaining about the increasing cost of the rip off 500ml bottle of coke(Which they produce for literally cents, I might add), that doesn't mean you have to be so for yourself. I don't mind drinking coke from time to time so why not buy 2 litre bottles from supermarkets and just fill it yourself into smaller bottles. You often get 2 two litre bottles for €3 in the supermarkets, that's 4 litres for €3, as opposed to 500ml for €1.60 or whatever you pay for it at a convenience store. I used to do this at college. Based on those prices, if you bought a 500ml bottle of coke with your lunch, 5 days a week, you would save nearly €320 a year. In this case,thats the price you pay for the convenience of your local Spar/Centra.

Of course, simple economics will tell you that if everyone did this the price of the 2 litre bottles would rise, which is a case in point, but lets be honest, very few would bother, claiming its too much effort, when in reality it would take about 2 minutes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

conorhal wrote: »
    ....then buy a bottle in the UCG cinema in Dublin ...And you'll know how much a bottle of coke will cost you, around about 2050.....:rolleyes:
    I think I paid about 3.80 for a coke there last week (small one). I remember looking at the combo (say, large popcorn and coke for a tenner) and thinking, thats silly sure a large popcorn is six euro, add say two euro for a small drink, that brings you to eight euro - so why would anyone pay ten for the combo????? When I was charged nearly ten euro for "being smart" and buying separate I couldnt believe it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Does anyone know if they do a diet or zero version of the vanilla flavour? Having a bizzare craving now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

An RRP of €1 yet most places are nudging on for €2 these days- the swines!

That SRP (suggested selling price) was for the time of the promotion only.
    The current cost price for 24 x coc cola in musgraves is €18.65 + vat (96c per bottle)

The SRP is now 1.60 (€1.30+ vat) and the margin is about 40%. And if you knew the costs of refridgeration, rent, rates & staff, you'd soon realise that even at a profit of 50c/bottle you wonl;t be gettign rich anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they do a diet or zero version of the vanilla flavour? Having a bizzare craving now :eek:

Yes there is! I saw it last night in my local shop. (Walgreens on international drive, Orlando :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Wondered had anyone else noticed this, my local shop has gone from €1.50 to €1.79 in last few months. It's getting a bit nuts.

Personally I would buy the odd bottle as it was convenient, but it's gotten so much of a difference I never do any more.

Currently tesco have 4 packs of 500ml, 2 for €6, so 75c each, or more than a euro a bottle less than local shop. They also have 18 33cl cans for 8 euro, which again is a massive saving on local shops prices.

It must be hitting local sales?

Yes there is! I saw it last night in my local shop. (Walgreens on international drive, Orlando :D

But can't see it online tho' - http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/coca-cola-coke-soda-20-oz-bottle/ID=prod6020011-product :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

copacetic wrote: »
    Wondered had anyone else noticed this, my local shop has gone from €1.50 to €1.79 in last few months. It's getting a bit nuts.

Personally I would buy the odd bottle as it was convenient, but it's gotten so much of a difference I never do any more.

Currently tesco have 4 packs of 500ml, 2 for €6, so 75c each, or more than a euro a bottle less than local shop. They also have 18 33cl cans for 8 euro, which again is a massive saving on local shops prices.

It must be hitting local sales?

A lot of local shops have the 4 pack of 500ml for 3.99 and also a 6 pack of cans for 3.45 (used to be 3.20). Unfortunately only a few of them have these in their fridges.

I like many others will pay the extra for the ice cold version, though 1.79 is a little steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

In the space of the last 3-4 months a 500ml in Spar on Tara Street has crept up from €1.50 to €1.79.

In the last 3-4 weeks Spar have released their own brand Cola and Orange. Both are priced at 80c for 500ml. It seems to me like the Spar strategy is to push the price of Coke so high that their own brand, at 80c, would look like a great deal.

Presumably buy cutting out middlemen Spar get a very good margin on their own brand. And if people still opt for Coca-Cola well then they get an even higher one due to the €1.79 price point. So for them it is a win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

sandin wrote: »
    The SRP is now 1.60 (€1.30+ vat) and the margin is about 40%. And if you knew the costs of refridgeration, rent, rates & staff, you'd soon realise that even at a profit of 50c/bottle you wonl;t be gettign rich anytime soon.

seeing as you and every single shopkeeper/publican/trader seem to like using that argument for absolutely EVERYTHING, tell us then exactly HOW MUCH does it cost PER BOTTLE :mad::mad:
    what is the breakdown per bottle/pint/glass etc etc, seeing as according to you all, nobodies making any money :rolleyes::rolleyes:

same old same old, rolled out everytime "

MrTrebus wrote: »
    seeing as you and every single shopkeeper/publican/trader seem to like using that argument for absolutely EVERYTHING, tell us then exactly HOW MUCH does it cost PER BOTTLE :mad::mad:
    what is the breakdown per bottle/pint/glass etc etc, seeing as according to you all, nobodies making any money :rolleyes::rolleyes:

same old same old, rolled out everytime "

Cost approx €0.92 per bottle (based on €17.99 ex vat per case)

But if you're going to insist on educating yourself to exact figures you really should look at the exact costs of the other expenses mentioned. And a bottle of coke etc is one of the higher earners in a shop so don't assume that every product you are buying in a store is making the same profit margin.

Cost approx €0.92 per bottle (based on €17.99 ex vat per case)

But if you're going to insist on educating yourself to exact figures you really should look at the exact costs of the other expenses mentioned. And a bottle of coke etc is one of the higher earners in a shop so don't assume that every product you are buying in a store is making the same profit margin.

you misunderstand mate,
    I was asking for the cost per bottle for refrigeration/rent/rates/staff etc per bottle.
    This is the de facto standard argument rolled out every time a shopkeeper/publican extra is asked to explain the ever rising pricing.

So I know how much the bottle of coke costs (more than most BTW, Im an ex coca cola rep !) but I want someone to come here and explain the tired old argument !

• Advertisement

MrTrebus wrote: »
    you misunderstand mate,
    I was asking for the cost per bottle for refrigeration/rent/rates/staff etc per bottle.
    This is the de facto standard argument rolled out every time a shopkeeper/publican extra is asked to explain the ever rising pricing.

So I know how much the bottle of coke costs (more than most BTW, Im an ex coca cola rep !) but I want someone to come here and explain the tired old argument !

But that's with all due respect an impossible question to answer which will vary greatly from retailer to retailer depending on turnover, size of store how much of turnover is sales of coke etc

your right but it doesnt stop them rolling it out as a generic excuse without actually backing the statement up !!

But that's with all due respect an impossible question to answer which will vary greatly from retailer to retailer depending on turnover, size of store how much of turnover is sales of coke etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I never buy 500ml bottles of coke anymore. It's 1.50 in college anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Was in Centra today - 500ml Coca Cola - €1.65; 1000ml Coca Cola - €1.50. Both were in the fridge, so it wasn't a temperature thing.

Now I just have to resist the urge to drink all the big bottle in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Pepsi must be making a killing with its bigger bottle at €1.60

Advertisement