Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto mobile subscription service

Options
  • 03-02-2010 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Just before christmas I recevied a message on my mobile saying
    saying I am subscribed to Lotto info. I DID NOT subscribe to this.

It says I can send STOP to 53307. I presumed it was a scam so I did not want to reply to this number.

On searching the web I found this link.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/lotto/get-the-winning-lottery-numbers-straight-to-your-phone-1907375.html

It allows you to put in any mobile number and have them subscribed to the service. This cannot be right. It doesn't even ask to type in the usual number/characters displayed in an image.

This means someone would write some software to loop though every possible mobile number and subsribe them. This cannot be right.

I contacted SP Phonovation a month ago and still nothing was done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

the first thing i would do is text stop to prevent any further moneys being taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Just before christmas I recevied a message on my mobile saying
    saying I am subscribed to Lotto info. I DID NOT subscribe to this.

It says I can send STOP to 53307. I presumed it was a scam so I did not want to reply to this number.

On searching the web I found this link.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/lotto/get-the-winning-lottery-numbers-straight-to-your-phone-1907375.html

It allows you to put in any mobile number and have them subscribed to the service. This cannot be right. It doesn't even ask to type in the usual number/characters displayed in an image.

This means someone would write some software to loop though every possible mobile number and subsribe them. This cannot be right.

I contacted SP Phonovation a month ago and still nothing was done.

That is incredible :mad: I didn't realise that ANYONE could sign you up online for something that will cost you €1.20 a week as long as they happen to know your number. I would have thought such a request would have to be made from the mobile number itself and confirmed by a return text. A lot of people would be afraid to respond to a STOP text if they knew nothing about the subject or the supposed sign up. I really don't see how this could be legal :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Demand a full refund.
    If you dont, then complaint to RegTel.

This has happened to me twice and I have received a full refund on both occassions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

I did stop it after I got 2 texts and I was offered a refund. From that point of view I am sorted. Someone either put my number in to the site in error or as a joke.

My point is that it leaves other people open to abuse. Form example if an elderly person got one in error they may just ignore it until they got the bill. What annoys me is that I pointed it out to the company and nothing was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From the link provided
    18+. Texts cost 2x€0.60 per week max. This is a subscription service. To unsubscribe text STOP to 53307

SP Phonovation. PO Box 6, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin, Helpline: 0818 217 100

So just to be clear, this is not a service offered by the National Lottery. Instead it is provided by SP Phonovation.

I agree with the OP, it's terrible that you can enter any number in there without any control.

OP, I urge you to make a formal complaint to RegTel. I'll actually do the same. If a few of us make formal complaints, they might actually do something.

• Advertisement

Thank you Dudara. I sent a complaint to RegTel.

I was thinking about this. It would be possible to subscribe yourself to this service and use it for a period and then claim a refund because there is no prove that you subscribed to it. Seems a crazy and unprofessional set-up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Thank you Dudara. I sent a complaint to RegTel.

I was thinking about this. It would be possible to subscribe yourself to this service and use it for a period and then claim a refund because there is no prove that you subscribed to it. Seems a crazy and unprofessional set-up to me.

It would also be possible for the company running the system to enter random numbers and receive money. Even if people stopped the service most would not bother trying to claim back the money

Just tried the service again. The web-page is still there and a mobile number can be submitted but when you do submit a number it returns with the informative message 'error'. They must have disabled the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This still works. I just put in a load of zeros for the phone number and it said I am now subscribed!!!

I hope no-one has a phone number of 7 zeros out there...

Unbelievable...

Yes. It still works I'm afraid. Just typed in my own mobile number and it subscribed me. Sent the STOP text back to unsubscribe.

I sent a complaint previously to RegTel, Phonovation and the Indo. No reply from any of the parties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement