Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mooney deleted hilarious Freudian Slip

• 03-02-2010 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Anyone who was listening to Derek Mooney's show earlier (on Tuesday 2nd) will have heard the funniest confusion about plumbers and ballcocks. It was during the feature on jury service.

I rushed home this evening to replay it at my leisure and, despite leaving in the Mooney's Money ads and the Nuacht, they've deleted that section of the programme! That's so cruel. I hadn't laughed so much for weeks and now it will only live on in my memory :(

Anyone else hear it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Agonist wrote: »
    Anyone who was listening to Derek Mooney's show earlier (on Tuesday 2nd) will have heard the funniest confusion about plumbers and ballcocks. It was during the feature on jury service.

I rushed home this evening to replay it at my leisure and, despite leaving in the Mooney's Money ads and the Nuacht, they've deleted that section of the programme! That's so cruel. I hadn't laughed so much for weeks and now it will only live on in my memory :(

Anyone else hear it?

yeah - I heard it - was very funny. I don't know whether the speaker made the mistake herself, or was recounting an error she heard, but she said something along the lines of hearing a lot about "bollocks". There was about 5 seconds of silence before she explained that she (or the speaker) meant "Ballcocks" - and the studio erupted. twas pretty funny, shame they took it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

FEk it I missed it as well. I have to say, Derek is very naturally funny. Dont necessarily love the content of the show... not into the wildlife, and the show is a bit more pink than I would personally like it to be... but Derek himself cracks me up with his bluntness sometimes..

FEk it I missed it as well. I have to say, Derek is very naturally funny. Dont necessarily love the content of the show... not into the wildlife, and the show is a bit more pink than I would personally like it to be... but Derek himself cracks me up with his bluntness sometimes..

yeah - me too. I remember once, I heard him interviewing - think it was Mary Hannifins mother (whoever it was, it was the mother of the minister of education) about Padre Pio, and all of a sudden he told her of some school in newbridge that was waiting for a building, and could she pray to Padre Pio about that? Thought it was a bit crass at first, but after a while I respected him for it. Apparently the school had written to him and he'd promised to do everything he could to help them.

Agree with you JA, the show is a little camp for me too, but I'm not the target audience, and you have to respect the family he's built up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Who would his target audience be?

I doubt I would fall into it, his show particularly grates with me.

Slidey wrote: »
    Who would his target audience be?

I doubt I would fall into it, his show particularly grates with me.

What has 20,000 legs and smells of wee?
    Mooneys target audience. :)

Basically, the same people who used to watch "Live at three" I reckon - late 50's, early 60s. I hear flutt is a big fan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

tbh wrote: »

Basically, the same people who used to watch "Live at three" I reckon - late 50's, early 60s. I hear flutt is a big fan ;)

Nah it's probably not pink enough for the old flutter.:D

I'm not in his target audience quite yet but I prefer the Mooney show to it's predecessor.

The Muppet wrote: »

I'm not in his target audience quite yet but I prefer the Mooney show to it's predecessor.

what was his predecessor? was trying to think of it earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

John Creedon used keep that seat warm and Ronan Collins before him.

• Advertisement

Jesus I couldnt remember this either. I thought Creedon was on at 12, with all those stupid "find the derivation of words" segments.. Cant stand Creedon on the radio,though he seems like a nice guy.
    Agree with you JA, the show is a little camp for me too, but I'm not the target audience, and you have to respect the family he's built up.

I thought that they would have something that would appeal to a larger demographic. I mean how long does he spend talking about bees, birds (with Eanna Ni WreckUrhead), women's issues (Brenda's kids, single's nights etc etc), lot of gay contributors and gay issues (I'm not a Homophobe, I've just no interest in the topic as I'm still in the closet and havent told the missus ;-) ).... The show seems to deal with a lot of niche subjects, doesnt know what it wants to be. The financial stuff is good though.

But like your example with Mary Hanafin's mother, I remember when they got the dentist in and Mooney ribbed him about prices for nearly all the allocated time. Was hilarious. And the time he had Liz O'Kane on. She had been on the Afternoon Show spouting on without any serious questioning by Sheana Keane. Mooney just asked her direct, honest, legitimate questions about something she was promoting that day, and she crumbled under the questioning was really funny. Derek did the people of Ireland a service that day, as Liz has not been on the radio much since..... This is an article that quotes Liz on her assertions about the property market..
    http://quotesfromthebubble.blogspot.com/2009/07/liz-okane-property-tv-show-presenter.html

RTE should really take more responsibility for these supposed experts that they have on the airwaves giving what people assume is professional advice as she was introduced as a property "tycoon" and "guru". Fair play to Mooney for finding her out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

yeah - I heard it - was very funny. I don't know whether the speaker made the mistake herself, or was recounting an error she heard, but she said something along the lines of hearing a lot about "bollocks". There was about 5 seconds of silence before she explained that she (or the speaker) meant "Ballcocks" - and the studio erupted. twas pretty funny, shame they took it out.

Yeah, I heard it - nearly crashed the car - the woman was talking about a time she was doing jury service with a man who had no interest in being a juror - he was a plumber and spent the whole time on the phone "talking about bollocks........I mean, ballcocks"!!!!!!! :D

Can't believe they deleted it though - twas the funniest part of the whole show!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

two points

Many years ago I believe a BBC news item referred to an attack in Hackballockscross rather than Hackballscross.

about two weeks ago I heard on RTE that the murderer of a man shot in Cork in front of his partner and her children got away on foot in a red van.

Regards ,Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I think Mooney replaced Rattlebag (arts show) in that afternoon slot (roughly) and has added somewhere close to 100,000 listeners. Apologies if my numbers are a little skewed but he has added quite a few new listeners in the years he has been there.
    As other posters have said, it can frequently be as camp as John Inman in 'Are You Being Served?' but it clearly hits the spot for punters better than Uncle Myles droning on about a contemporary exhibition at IMMA - as worthy as that is.

I think Mooney replaced Rattlebag (

THANK YOU!

rattlebag, that was it. Yeah, it'd be nice to have a Radio 4 style program, but I can see why RTE can't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmmm... noted!
    The Muppet wrote: »

Noted!!

Broke up laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I liked Rattlebag, but I suppose you can't really argue with 100,000 extra listeners, even though I'm not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

Maybe as part of letting them join the EU, we could force the Turks to take her full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Yes, she was telling the story herself and was explaining, The plumber was constantly taking business phonecalls and talking about .. bollocks... It took her ages to say, Um... I think I got the word wrong.

An Irish Times journalist and a barrister. It was the last thing you expected to hear.

Mooney was straight in there with "I apologise to any listeners who may have been offended" but trying to keep in the laughter. It was the good 5 seconds of silence, while the two guys and the thousands of listeners said wtf?! that had me in tears laughing.

• Advertisement

Plowman wrote: »

By the look of her Saturday night, she's certainly become a fan of the Turkish Delight anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Who has the software set up to grab stuff from RTE Radio??

RTE just broadcast that bit - on the "Playback" programme this morning. I just listened to it on the website.

It's at about 9 minutes 30 seconds in to the program.

Please somebody! Grab it before they edit it out!

Update: I have just downloaded the podcast (of "Playback") and the bit is still there - on the podcast it is the first item - ie about 10 seconds in.

Further update I have edited the podcast and now have a 50 second mp3 clip - now how do I upload it to youtube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

OK - got it up on YouTube (took ages!).
    The dog is there 'cos I needed a bit of video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6UCDuw_F2k

I left the words bollox and ballcock out of the tags 'cos I don't want YouTube to get all prudish.

Search tags are: jury juror plumber mobile phone derek mooney ireland.

db.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    OK - got it up on YouTube (took ages!).
    The dog is there 'cos I needed a bit of video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6UCDuw_F2k

LOL. thanks for uploading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

The Mooney Show strikes again. He's great for a giggle.

First he was going on about randomers in his shower.

Later, he's talking about Secret Garden gardening show on TV and says something like "You don't have to be a gardener to watch it. It's like Waterways with Dick Warner: you don't have to be into water or barges, you don't have to be into Dick to enjoy it."

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

When i saw this thread bumped I was sure someone had posted about yesterday's piece with Dermot O'Neill the gardner -

ONeill was discussing the best kinds of spring tulips or something and said he saw a spectacular display on a particular street he named in Amsterdam.

Mooney says "oh yes, naked ladies"

ONeill - "eh, no"

Mooney "yes, naked ladies, Im sure of it, I know that street, Ive been there myself!"

<he was talking about some variety of tulip commonly know as "naked ladies">

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Brings back the memories, Ronan Collins use to have horse race commentary from Cheltenham, don't know if they still do it with the Mooney show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Yes, I believe they still have the commentaries.
    Our Del boy loves the sound of small men riding large sweaty stallions!

Or to quote Ted Walsh (speaking about a horse)....."I rode her mother in a Bumper in Tralee."

Advertisement